Just bought an electric smoker and need recipes

Kirby Jackson

17 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Most electric smokers urge against the use of pellets, for those you can get a tray or tube made by A-Maze-N and use pellets in anything- can also cold smoke using it!!

I never had an issue using the tray & lid that came with the smoker. Maze does look pretty cool.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I saw a Char Broil electric smoker on clearance the other day for $140. I wasn’t looking for one but felt that I had to pick it up at that price. Now, I am sitting here trying to figure out what to do with it. This is ALWAYS a good place for conversation on stuff like that. I was hoping for some recipes and ideas of things that I can do on this smoker. 

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pulled-beef/

Oh yeah.

FB_IMG_1551301218807.jpg

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I saw a Char Broil electric smoker on clearance the other day for $140. I wasn’t looking for one but felt that I had to pick it up at that price. Now, I am sitting here trying to figure out what to do with it. This is ALWAYS a good place for conversation on stuff like that. I was hoping for some recipes and ideas of things that I can do on this smoker. 

This guy smokes everything, from brisket to creme brûlée...

https://www.google.com/search?q=steven+raichlen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have a Char Broil Grill and their Oil Less Deep Fryer/Smoker. I have used the grill for years, its 'Tru Infrared'? Basically the burners are located under a pan that's supposed to radiate the heat better and prevent flare ups and keep food juicier. I haven't tried the 'Deep Fryer/smoker' yet, it's still in the box in my shed, plan to break it out this year and try it.

In the fall I also bought a small smoker box for my grill that I havent tried yet, not sure how it will work not having the flame under the pan with the smoke box. I did read some people saying that with this grill you dont need the box for the wood chips Nd can just put them right on the pan 

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Metry Brah,you live on a massive oyster bed...some yankee on here mentioned bacon/belly..great mix.My bud in Mississippi,who is no Chef Paul,gets those large circular crackers from wheat (Pensacola)..cream cheese,little lemon lime juice in the shell..crumble the bacon on top.The oysters only need 30 -40 minutes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

An electric smoker is like a first bike with training wheels.  If you get the bug you will want to move onto other types of smokers.

Start with a pork butt and a store bought rub.  Unless you leave too short/long almost impossible to ruin.

Get a good book with recipes and techniques.  I tell people to start with the Dinosaur BBQ book.

Enjoy the new hobby.  Like anything, you will get out of it what you put into it.

13 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

If you want the best bacon you’ve ever eaten, make it yourself from pork belly!!! 

Ya know   , I tried bacon twice , both Rachlin recipes. One was awful, granted it was a pastrami bacon. So bad we ended up frying the stuff at the opener few years ago. Nothing sucks fried. 

One was regular bacon. Ended up way to salty. Froze that batch and just use for lardons. 

So if you got one , post it up! I have the juniper , brining salt etc still all here. 

BTW @Kirby Jackson, I saw someone suggest Raichlin, and he is great. He has had a few shows on PBS. Only thing is usually lots of ingredients , many not neccasily in your pantry. 

My my suggestion is like poke around here 

https://amazingribs.com/

as in most things, the easier the better. Just keep that water pan filled! 

Only other advice I would give is for larger pieces like pork shoulder remember smoke is only needed for 3-4 hours, not the entire cook. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ya know   , I tried bacon twice , both Rachlin recipes. One was awful, granted it was a pastrami bacon. So bad we ended up frying the stuff at the opener few years ago. Nothing sucks fried. 

One was regular bacon. Ended up way to salty. Froze that batch and just use for lardons. 

So if you got one , post it up! I have the juniper , brining salt etc still all here. 

BTW @Kirby Jackson, I saw someone suggest Raichlin, and he is great. He has had a few shows on PBS. Only thing is usually lots of ingredients , many not neccasily in your pantry. 

My my suggestion is like poke around here 

https://amazingribs.com/

as in most things, the easier the better. Just keep that water pan filled! 

Only other advice I would give is for larger pieces like pork shoulder remember smoke is only needed for 3-4 hours, not the entire cook. 

If a recipe is good, but heavy on the salt, soak in cold water (switching out every 20 minutes) for an hour

I have a great maple/espresso recipe! Just have to find it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You recently bought a house and now you are on a journey to domestication. If you admit to wearing an apron when prancing around in the kitchen you will be declared an irredeemable. :)

31 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

If a recipe is good, but heavy on the salt, soak in cold water (switching out every 20 minutes) for an hour

I have a great maple/espresso recipe! Just have to find it.

This is one thing I learnt the hard (expensive) way.

Easy on the salt in the rub!!!!

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Kosher salt in the rub and its hard to overdo.  Get that iodized crap out of your house you silly goy!

The time I overdid it, it was with Kosher.  I have ZERO iodized salt en me casa.

I want a smoker!

I have a pressure cooker. I start my ribs in the pressure cooker then finish them in the oven. They are great, but I'm sure finishing them in a smoker would be even better.

I'd especially like a Traeger brand pellet smoker. I've had the chance to eat a roast from a Traeger and it was fantastic.

1 hour ago, boater said:

I want a smoker!

I have a pressure cooker. I start my ribs in the pressure cooker then finish them in the oven. They are great, but I'm sure finishing them in a smoker would be even better.

I'd especially like a Traeger brand pellet smoker. I've had the chance to eat a roast from a Traeger and it was fantastic.

I have an electric smoker (love it).  Have been thinking about a Traeger.  I usually make these kinds of decisions very quickly.  I'm taking my time with this one.

1 hour ago, boater said:

I want a smoker!

I don’t know whether you’d want to pressure cook the ribs and then smoke. Part of the beauty is the time involved. You also need time for the smoke to do its thing.