Robert Kraft charged in prostitution ring bust ( Update: Kraft legal team accused of lying in court)

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The next time you jay walk I hope the police pounce on you and take you to jail for your scofflaw. You may be surprised to know that common sense and judgment are part and parcel in applying the law. 

I think you've missed my point.

12 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Regardless of what crimes were initially being investigated, the authorities have a responsibility to prosecute crimes that are uncovered in the course of the investigation, even if they are "only misdemeanors," and even if they are completely unrelated to the initial investigation. I think that is obvious.

But, aside from that, do you see how the two of your statements that I bolded are contradictory? In the first post, you are essentially making the point that the law should be applied equally to all. But, in the second post, you are bemoaning the eventual cost of prosecuting someone who has enormous financial resources to fight a charge for which they are obviously guilty. Should the rule of law not be applied equally to Kraft simply because he has the financial resources to make prosecution costly?  

Only in a perfect world. Ever heard of the Golden Rule? He who has the most gold, makes the rules. 

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Totally agree.

Everyone, i mean everyone with an IQ over 80 knows he did it.  He will likely get off but the humiliation will always be there.

The only issue is the sex trafficking charge was total BS, that he couldnt agree to.

He was never charged with sex trafficking.

6 hours ago, scribo said:

In general, I can be OK with legalization of prostitution. But until it is, the law must be enforced. Until it is legal, there are no protections for the "worker." We don't know anything about the lady who was paid to perform a sexual act on Kraft. Do we really know if she was doing so on her own free will? I'd say it is reasonable to believe she was there because was she not aware of what choices she may actually have. I believe she is a victim.

The bottom-line here is Kraft thought he was above the law. The law must be enforced or we lose civilization.

She was the spa manager.

I think Kraft and the other 100 busted johns thought that they would just get their handjobs in peace, not that they were "above the law"---and losing civilization (!!)--by paying $100 for a quick release.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He was never charged with sex trafficking.

There wasn't any---the cops new that within the first 5 minutes of a months longs video taping.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think you've missed my point.

I did get your point. However, you missed my point that not every trivial and bullshiiit infraction is enforced by the police. If you don't understand that common sense and judgment are involved in the enforcement of the laws then you are not in touch with the real world. Failure to poop scoop is an infraction but that doesn't mean that the handcuffing and a ride to the cell block are called for. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't hate to admit that you don't know what the ***** you are talking about.

Do you have proof that the banana seen on the tape doesn't lean to the right? What's next a pants down lineup to prove innocence or guilt? 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Failure to poop scoop is an infraction but that doesn't mean that the handcuffing and a ride to the cell block are called for. 

Just a side note - if it's my lawn that someone lets their dog poop on and doesn't pick it up, I want that mother ***** in prison!

We all have ugly needs.   The rub on Kraft is this "I'm too rich to be guilty of this" mentality...

He can't be guilty of any crime solely by virtue of money.

I say release the tape, if he continues to fight... Let all NFL fans see how the uber-rich are just like the rest of us.

Edited by #34fan
politicized language
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Just a side note - if it's my lawn that someone lets their dog poop on and doesn't pick it up, I want that mother ***** in prison!

there may be a law to do so.     

Hell they arrested some guy for pooping on a HS track !!! 

The New Jersey superintendent arrested in May for allegedly pooping on Holmdel High School’s track and football field has resigned from his position — but is not going down without a fight.

https://people.com/human-interest/superintendent-accused-pooping-on-school-track-resigns/

He wants to sue because someone released his mugshot 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

We all have ugly needs.   The rub on Kraft is this "I'm too rich to be guilty of this" mentality...

I say release the tape, if he continues to fight... Let all NFL fans see how the uber-rich are just like the rest of us.

Have any of the dozens of other johns admitted guilt or taken the plea offer in this sting?

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I did get your point. However, you missed my point that not every trivial and bullshiiit infraction is enforced by the police. If you don't understand that common sense and judgment are involved in the enforcement of the laws then you are not in touch with the real world. Failure to poop scoop is an infraction but that doesn't mean that the handcuffing and a ride to the cell block are called for. 

I got your point entirely. You might think that it is "common sense" that someone with enough resources to make their prosecution costly should have their charges dropped. Certainly, that happens all the time. Personally, I find the concept to be an ugly truth about our justice system. However, I haven't read anything where charges have been dropped against any of the other people who were charged in this case, and who didn't accept the deal that the DA offered-- the same deal that was offered to Kraft. Did you not make the point that all people should be treated equally under the law? 

And, I can certainly understand at this point in the process how the DA, regardless, would be loath to drop the case simply because Kraft is willing to spend money to make this as costly for the prosecution as possible. Were they to capitulate to such tactics, in such a heavily reported case, it would send a very cynical message that those with enough money are not held to the same standard under the law. I think that would be antithetical to common sense, true though it may be.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Have any of the dozens of other johns admitted guilt or taken the plea offer in this sting?

I don't know, but the deal sounds very reasonable to me:

"The Palm Beach State Attorney’s Office confirmed Tuesday that it had offered to drop the misdemeanor charges for soliciting prostitution against Kraft and 24 other men, if they agreed to perform 100 hours community service, attend a class about the negative effects of prostitution, pay a $5,000 fine per count, and admit they would have been found guilty in court".

-Boston.com

It's a total wrist-slap.... A mature adult who got caught literally with their pants down takes this deal.

Edited by #34fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, #34fan said:

"The Palm Beach State Attorney’s Office confirmed Tuesday that it had offered to drop the misdemeanor charges for soliciting prostitution against Kraft and 24 other men, if they agreed to perform 100 hours community service, attend a class about the negative effects of prostitution, pay a $5,000 fine per count, and admit they would have been found guilty in court".

-Boston.com

It's a total wrist-slap.... A mature adult who got caught literally with their pants down takes this deal.

What if the guy spent all his money on prostitutes and doesn't have the $5,000?  :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

In this case, the rub on Kraft is something else entirely.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I got your point entirely. You might think that it is "common sense" that someone with enough resources to make their prosecution costly should have their charges dropped. Certainly, that happens all the time. Personally, I find the concept to be an ugly truth about our justice system. However, I haven't read anything where charges have been dropped against any of the other people who were charged in this case, and who didn't accept the deal that the DA offered-- the same deal that was offered to Kraft. Did you not make the point that all people should be treated equally under the law? 

And, I can certainly understand at this point in the process how the DA, regardless, would be loath to drop the case simply because Kraft is willing to spend money to make this as costly for the prosecution as possible. Were they to capitulate to such tactics, in such a heavily reported case, it would send a very cynical message that those with enough money are not held to the same standard under the law. I think that would be antithetical to common sense, true though it may be.

Again, you are missing the point. I don't care if those arrested are destitute or billionaires. This case for a minimally charged violation may involve legally questionable "pretext" traffic stops and a questionable surveillance application/warrant. This case should be dropped not only for the prominent rich guy but also for the other nondescript defendants who lack resources. In addition, those people in a private setting who were video taped without their knowledge should be upset. And don't be surprised if they legally respond to this intrusion into their private dealings.

With respect to the second highlighted segment related to the application of the same standard under the law that concept also applies to the legal authorities. What Kraft and his legal representatives are challenging is how the police conducted themselves. Are you against him having the right to do so? Are you arguing that the police authorities couldn't/shouldn't be challenged? If you are then you have an odd interpretation of the rights of the accused, rich or poor.  

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

-Boston.com

It's all about the video for Bobby.  Like you said, the "punishment" is a wrist-slap.  The real punishment is the embareassment of the video being made public.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

It's all about the video for Bobby.  Like you said, the "punishment" is a wrist-slap.  The real punishment is the embareassment of the video being made public.

And it'll be all his fault for turning down the State Attorney's generosity.