Ultrasound questions for physical therapists

Steve O

Recently purchased a home ultrasound unit which is currently in transit. Played softball until 59, volleyball until 50, not to mention 10 years of wrestling and 6 of soccer in Jr/high school/college. Until 2 months ago also worked out at least 5x a week, 1 hr intense cardio with some light lifting mixed in. Always kind of figured my body would fall apart, all of a sudden, all at once. It isn't disappointing. Tore a meniscus over the summer, cortisone didn't help, too much arthritis for arthroscopic, need a full knee replacement (probably two eventually.) Opted for shoulder surgery this winter hoping to put the knees off until after golf season. Problem is my ankles are very sore, at this point I don't think they can support enough weight for the PT needed after knee replacement. All this activity over the years led to a bunch of sprains and muscle pulls (not to mention minor concussions.) Ultrasound always seemed to help a lot with strains and pulls, hoping it will help with my current ankle and knee issue and I'll be able to put off any further surgeries until after golf season. Wondering if there is a point at which ultrasound loses its effectiveness? Is 2x a day too much? Also does the lotion used make a difference? Any input appreciated.

Hopefully you made your purchase based on a medical recommendation.  If your ankles are sore too, might you maybe have torn an achilles?  It sucks to get old but you're not alone!

I've had a; knee replacement in 2002, both rotator cuffs and both achilles done.  The knee was a result of a work injury, but the rest was just mostly wearing out.   To me, ultrasound therapy is more "feel good," than long term effective, but if it helps then go for it.  

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Hopefully you made your purchase based on a medical recommendation.  If your ankles are sore too, might you maybe have torn an achilles?  It sucks to get old but you're not alone!

I've had a; knee replacement in 2002, both rotator cuffs and both achilles done.  The knee was a result of a work injury, but the rest was just mostly wearing out.   To me, ultrasound therapy is more "feel good," than long term effective, but if it helps then go for it.  

Achilles are tender but as row_33 says in the post above, if either were torn, pretty sure there wouldn't be any question.

How are your knee, rotators, and Achilles? Sounds like I'm in a situation that's similar to what yours' used to be Hoping in another 2 years give or take I'll be able to go back to life as I knew and loved it. Would be nice to hear a success story.

The knee is OK, considering it's been there since 2002.  One rotator was also an injury and it was a painful recovery, but that was in 2005, so no complaints there.  The other one, the Doc said was bone spurs but they told me it was a rotator, in the recovery room.  Not good news, but also just wore out, so relatively easy recovery on that.  The first achilles happened just walking down a steep hill.  I thought it was a pulled muscle, but finally had an Ortho Doc look and he confirmed that it was torn.  Got a walking boot after surgery, with about 7-8 wedges in the heel.  Every week, or so, he would take a wedge out, till, i was down to flat again.  So, I have my Ortho stories, but all have had happy endings.  Sometimes you just have to give in to the calendar, and get'erdone!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

the five times i saw an achilles get torn in front of me, there was little doubt that was what it was....

FIVE TIMES? I’d get nervous if I knew you were behind me!

I personally know only three people who’ve ever had it tear, but never in front of me. Nasty recovery. 

I found this thread as I sat down and put an ice pack on my shoulder. I’ve felt this pain before, but that was a partially torn rotator cuff in my right/tennis shoulder. This is my LEFT shoulder, and I’m pretty sure it’s from sleeping on it. Now going to bed isn’t even safe! It feels like a toothache in my shoulder. Getting old sucks! 

4 hours ago, Steve O said:

Recently purchased a home ultrasound unit which is currently in transit. Played softball until 59, volleyball until 50, not to mention 10 years of wrestling and 6 of soccer in Jr/high school/college. Until 2 months ago also worked out at least 5x a week, 1 hr intense cardio with some light lifting mixed in. Always kind of figured my body would fall apart, all of a sudden, all at once. It isn't disappointing. Tore a meniscus over the summer, cortisone didn't help, too much arthritis for arthroscopic, need a full knee replacement (probably two eventually.) Opted for shoulder surgery this winter hoping to put the knees off until after golf season. Problem is my ankles are very sore, at this point I don't think they can support enough weight for the PT needed after knee replacement. All this activity over the years led to a bunch of sprains and muscle pulls (not to mention minor concussions.) Ultrasound always seemed to help a lot with strains and pulls, hoping it will help with my current ankle and knee issue and I'll be able to put off any further surgeries until after golf season. Wondering if there is a point at which ultrasound loses its effectiveness? Is 2x a day too much? Also does the lotion used make a difference? Any input appreciated.

Why are you not asking these questions to a doctor?

Not sure a community of football fans is the place to go with healthcare questions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

FIVE TIMES? I’d get nervous if I knew you were behind me!

I personally know only three people who’ve ever had it tear, but never in front of me. Nasty recovery. 

I found this thread as I sat down and put an ice pack on my shoulder. I’ve felt this pain before, but that was a partially torn rotator cuff in my right/tennis shoulder. This is my LEFT shoulder, and I’m pretty sure it’s from sleeping on it. Now going to bed isn’t even safe! It feels like a toothache in my shoulder. Getting old sucks! 

twice in tennis and 3 times in hoops, over 22 years or so.

3 of them recovered to play at a decent level again, I don't know how one could survive that.....

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure a community of football 

Physical therapists use ultrasound therapy on a regular basis and are more likely to have experienced insight than a Dr. Which is why I mentioned it in the title. And left enough background information in the OP to hopefully solicit an educated response. Don't have one of those Cadillac insurance policies that allows me to go to a professional every time I have a question. I can surf the world wide web with the best of them, but I'm told you can't believe everything you read on it. This community has provided advice on thousands of topics not related to football. Is it beyond the scope of comprehension that a football community would have a physical therapist that contributes regularly and wouldn't mind sharing some information? Perhaps. 

To paraphrase my chiropractor, ‘less is better’.  When home availablity of these machines came along, his belief was that too often a treatment and too intense a treatment could cause trouble in the joint. If I recall correctly, it had something to do with weakening of the muscle, cartilage, and tendons with overuse of the treatment.  Using one of these machines without professional monitoring seems risky.

See what Dr. Ho thinks...???

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure a community of football fans is the place to go with healthcare questions.

You obviously can't appreciate the sound advice of the Two Bills Drive message board arm-chair physical therapists as others do

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Steve O said:

The gym is bad, mmmkay.