The "National Emergency" Thread

Tiberius

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The person using the law in a way it wasn't intended for is not what's wrong? Gees, the lengths you guys will go to defend this idiot! 

Tom, you use to point out the idiocy of Trump. Then 3rdthing got all up in your grill and you backed down and now tow the cultist line, sad. 

1) Toe the line.  Not tow.

2) 3rd never "got up in my face."

3) I still point out Trump's idiocy. 

4) I've said multiple times I'm against this national emergency.

5) It doesn't violate the intent of the law.

6) It doesn't violate the letter of the law, either.

7) Laws should be written so that an Oompa Loompa can't abuse them.  If an Oompa-loompa can abuse them, the law is the problem, not the Oompa-Loompa.

And 8: Was the law meant to address human righs in Burundi, which is neither national nor an emergency?

Edited by DC Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

1) Toe the line.  Not tow.

2) 3rd never "got up in my face."

3) I still point out Trump's idiocy. 

4) I've said multiple times I'm against this national emergency.

5) It doesn't violate the intent of the law.

6) It doesn't violate the letter of the law, either.

7) Laws should be written so that an Oompa Loompa can't abuse them.  If an Oompa-loompa can abuse them, the law is the problem, not the Oompa-Loompa.

Oh ya, he jumped all over you and you changed your tone. But whatever 

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But you can't address the substantive points I've made.  Typical, you whiny little pissant.

I did, there is no national emergency, Trump even said he didn't need to do this, so he's just misusing a law, you know, just like Rand Paul said. Your/Trumps interpretation is just so wildly open that anything can be a national emergency. 

Whinny little pissant? At least I don't get plunked off by third thing, lol 

35 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I did, there is no national emergency, Trump even said he didn't need to do this, so he's just misusing a law, you know, just like Rand Paul said. Your/Trumps interpretation is just so wildly open that anything can be a national emergency. 

HAHA Gator, leave my minions alone and don't try to create fractures amongst the lock step nature of us that aren't Lefty sacks of pus (like you).

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And what would a wall do? These people are already being detained. Heck, they are turning themselves in! 

Turning themselves in and we need a wall?? 

23 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

HAHA Gator, leave my minions alone and don't try to create fractures amongst the lock step nature of us that aren't Lefty sacks of pus (like you).

Yes! Your minion!! :lol:

Two Caravans A Week: 70,000 Detained Along The Southern Border In February

The Washington Post reports the number of migrants detained after entering the United States along the southern border was up sharply in February, possibly setting the stage this spring for the highest number of migrants seen crossing the border in a decade:

A group of 64 parents and children had waded through a shallow bend in the Rio Grande to turn themselves in to the agent on the U.S. side…

Groups like this arrived again and again in February, one of the coldest and busiest months along the southern border in years. U.S. authorities detained more than 70,000 migrants last month, according to preliminary figures, up from 58,000 in January. The majority were Central American parents with children who arrived, again, in unprecedented numbers…

“The numbers are staggering, and we’re incredibly worried that we will see another huge increase in March,” said a Homeland Security official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the unpublished figures.

Last year, the number of migrants crossing the border jumped 39% in March over February as the weather warmed and seasonal workers began joining the flow of economic migrants. If there is a similar jump this year it would mean more than 100,000 migrants detained this month (March) alone. That would be nearly 20% of the total number detained for all of FY18

'We're easy victims:' Inside the country so dangerous to police that officers are fleeing

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12209317

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

There was no national emergency in ***** Burundi, either.  But the law allows the president to declare a national emergency for any reason at any time.

The true idiocy of this argument is that it's entirely a semantic arguement about the definition of "emergency" in this single instance, which is not a legally defensible argument and ignores the historical precedent of "emergency" as previously used.

But then, you only want to argue this instance...because you want to argue about the man, not the law.

22 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

There was no national emergency in ***** Burundi, either.  But the law allows the president to declare a national emergency for any reason at any time.

The true idiocy of this argument is that it's entirely a semantic arguement about the definition of "emergency" in this single instance, which is not a legally defensible argument and ignores the historical precedent of "emergency" as previously used.

But then, you only want to argue this instance...because you want to argue about the man, not the law.

I posted a link above of a list of declared emergencies. Looks like a lot of blocking of bank accounts for bad guys. Anyway, the law should be changed but there still needs to be a mechanism for the President to be able to act quickly and decisively when needed. Possibly just a sunset provision needs to be added to the law.

Maybe we need a law that also says Congress cannot deny the President funds to do his duty to protect our country.0:)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The histrionics from the idiots are quite entertaining. They show a complete lack of understanding as to what Trump is doing, the laws he is doing it under, and how the process actually works.

It's amazing to watch the dumbass battalion go from national emergency to shuffle around previously-appropriated funds (to tackle the same issues) to a national emergency to eliminate constitutional rights.

13 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I posted a link above of a list of declared emergencies. Looks like a lot of blocking of bank accounts for bad guys. Anyway, the law should be changed but there still needs to be a mechanism for the President to be able to act quickly and decisively when needed. Possibly just a sunset provision needs to be added to the law.

Maybe we need a law that also says Congress cannot deny the President funds to do his duty to protect our country.0:)

Sure, as long as the President first tried winning a  mid-term election on the issue, and failing, and then trying to do the constitutional thing, like getting it through Congress just like every other president and then he can steal funds from other sources to pay for a wall he said Mexico was going to pay for. Sure! ?

Trump is doing his best to fulfill his responsibility to keep America safe while Congress is fighting him tooth and nail to deny him from doing that. I wonder what Congress did to Obama when he sent 1.8 billion dollars in cash, on pallets to the world's biggest terrorist country?

• Like (+1) 1

Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More than 76,000 Migrants Cross in a Month

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has once again broken records, with unauthorized entries nearly doubling what they were a year ago, suggesting that the Trump administration’s aggressive policies have not discouraged new migration to the United States.

More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, an 11-year high and a strong sign that stepped-up prosecutions, new controls on asylum and harsher detention policies have not reversed what remains a powerful lure for thousands of families fleeing violence and poverty.

“The system is well beyond capacity, and remains at the breaking point,” Kevin K. McAleenan, commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, told reporters in announcing the new data on Tuesday.

Gee,  New York Times are you saying that the situation at the border is...an emergency?

• Like (+1) 1

Meanwhile back in Oregon illegals mass producing fake id and dealing drugs.

Thousands of fake government IDs made in covert Oregon lab were sold across U.S., prosecutors say
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/03/thousands-of-fake-government-ids-made-in-covert-lab-in-woodburn-were-sold-across-us-prosecutors-say.html

9 hours ago, B-Man said:

Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More than 76,000 Migrants Cross in a Month

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has once again broken records, with unauthorized entries nearly doubling what they were a year ago, suggesting that the Trump administration’s aggressive policies have not discouraged new migration to the United States.

More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, an 11-year high and a strong sign that stepped-up prosecutions, new controls on asylum and harsher detention policies have not reversed what remains a powerful lure for thousands of families fleeing violence and poverty.

“The system is well beyond capacity, and remains at the breaking point,” Kevin K. McAleenan, commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, told reporters in announcing the new data on Tuesday.

Gee,  New York Times are you saying that the situation at the border is...an emergency?

I wonder what might help this situation?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I wonder what might help this situation?

Open borders. At that point, crossings are no longer illegal and this is no longer a statistic/burden on border officials (since they no longer exist). Problem solved.

5 minutes ago, KRC said:

Open borders. At that point, crossings are no longer illegal and this is no longer a statistic/burden on border officials (since they no longer exist). Problem solved.

To ***** with statistics like that we'd have to bring Obama back for his expertise in doing things like saving jobs. As I remember things, he saved many, many millions of jobs per year. I don't think Trump has been very active in saving jobs. He's more in creation mode.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

To ***** with statistics like that we'd have to bring Obama back for his expertise in doing things like saving jobs. As I remember things, he saved many, many millions of jobs per year. I don't think Trump has been very active in saving jobs. He's more in creation mode.

But, to be fair, Trump didn't create that. Obama was responsible for anything positive that is happening now. Just ask Obama. He'll tell you. Over...and over...and over again.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

What, do Trump's lies create jobs? The only thing holding up this rotten presidency is our great economy of which Trump has had almost nothing to do with. 

The only thing keeping Trump's head above water is the 8 summers of recovery that Obama had that made this economy so good. Well, Obama did put a lot more regulations on business that must have served as a catalyst to economic growth. He let us keep our doctor and reduced our insurance costs by $2500 a year too. After his defeat of ISIS is there anything that Obama can't do?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The only thing keeping Trump's head above water is the 8 summers of recovery that Obama had that made this economy so good. Well, Obama did put a lot more regulations on business that must have served as a catalyst to economic growth. He let us keep our doctor and reduced our insurance costs by $2500 a year too. After his defeat of ISIS is there anything that Obama can't do?

Obama even had Best Korea denuclearized, before Trump ***** that up too.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Perhaps Trump should have used his deal making skills to get Congress to help out. You are buying into Trump's false arguments though. He doesn't care if there is or isn't a crisis, he just wants something to scream about. Something to rally the base. A wall won't fix the any real problems like this: 

The nation’s top border enforcement officer painted a picture of processing centers filled to capacity, border agents struggling to meet medical needs and thousands of exhausted members of migrant families crammed into a detention system that was not built to house them — all while newcomers continue to arrive, sometimes by the busload, at the rate of 2,200 a day.

How will the wall help with this Tom? 

25 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Good thing we have less that two years left of this idiot. 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Perhaps Trump should have used his deal making skills to get Congress to help out. You are buying into Trump's false arguments though. He doesn't care if there is or isn't a crisis, he just wants something to scream about. Something to rally the base. A wall won't fix the any real problems like this: 

How will the wall help with this Tom? 

Good thing we have less that two years left of this idiot. 

Aw, come on, let's give him another 6 so he can preside over the Obama Doctrine in its entirety. I mean Obama had to preside for 8 years over Bush's policies so why shouldn't we have someone in office to complete the Obama Doctrine?

Edited by 3rdnlng

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Aw, come on, let's give him another 6 so he can preside over the Obama Doctrine in its entirety. I mean Obama had to preside for 8 years over Bush's policies so why shouldn't we have someone in office to complete the Obama Doctrine?

Because Trump is unfit for office. He is suppose to faithfully execute the laws, not obstruct them. 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Because Trump is unfit for office. He is suppose to faithfully execute the laws, not obstruct them. 

Why would you think he is so unfit? He's faithfully following Obama's policies and giving Obama the kind of legacy that he deserves.

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why would you think he is so unfit? He's faithfully following Obama's policies and giving Obama the kind of legacy that he deserves.

He can't even explain something without telling a lie. 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:47 AM, Doc Brown said:

You know what's funny? Even if President Bernie announced he was implementing the Green New Deal in 6 months, he wouldn't be able to implement it any more than he could implement a "Hop On Pop" economy.

Of course there is a surge:

"The port of entry that connects Tijuana to San Diego, the country's busiest border crossing, will allow only 20 migrants to claim asylum a day beginning Friday, a Mexican government official said Friday. Prior to the policy change, Customs and Border Patrol officers had processed up to 100 individuals a day.

The capacity reduction — known in immigration circles as "metering" — came the same day that the Trump administration implemented its "Migrant Protection Protocol," a sweeping policy change that forces asylum seekers to stay in Mexico while they await their U.S. immigration court hearings. Prior to the policy change, asylum seekers waited in the United States, either behind bars or non-detained but monitored..."

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/tijuana-port-of-entry-san-ysidro-allows-20-immigrants-claim-asylum-immigration-advocates-2019-01-25/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Simplest way to reduce illegal border crossings: reduce enforcement.  Apprehensions are used as a proxy for crossings, which presumes the rate of apprehension must remain steady.

If the Trump Administration is enforcing the border more stringently, then apprehensions should go up if the rate of attempted crossings stays the same...which would mean the "crisis" is manufactured, and being handled.  

Conversely...I want to hear the Democrats explain why more people want to enter a country they insist is a shithole run by a tin-pot dictator, than the paradise run by the previous president.