Off the wagon

Whenever the wagons are circling a rumor about a coach or GM who is on the block, I always ask myself, "who's the better alternative?"

When the wagons were circling John Butler, I was very happy at the time that we had Donahoe as his successor. He had a lot of success in Pittsburgh and he did not have the mis-managed cap history that Butler had.

After 4 seasons, I'm asking myself the same question about Donahoe. Who would be a viable alternative? I say Tom Modrak. He's becoming a GM candidate and I think is a great reason for TD's past success.

I'm sorry, but I'm done with TD.

Unfortunately, Donahoe still has a chip on his shoulder about being dumped in Steel-town, so all he has done since coming to Buffalo is make one "catch-your-attention" move after another. Some worked out, most have not. As evidence:

1) Hires Greg Williams over Marvin Lewis and John Fox

2) Decides Rob Johnson IS worth investing another season in.

3) Trades future first rounder for Drew Bledsoe

4) Franchises Peerless Price in hopes of re-acquiring 1st round pick given up for Bledsoe (not a bad move, just another attempt to assert "brilliance")

5) Signs Takeo Spikes, the most coveted free agent in 2003.

6) Uses the 1st round pick obtained for Price to take a remarkable gamble on McGahee

7) Quickly uses up recently acquired cap space to acquire Lawyer Milloy before season opener 2004

8) Fires Greg Williams, hires another unproven coach without the highest credentials in Mike Mularkey

9) Absorbs an 8 MILLION DOLLAR CAP HIT last summer to keep Bledsoe another year (a move that also cost us a couple of additional million this off-season)

10) Allows younger, more productive A. Winfield to leave and acquires aging Troy Vincent who will now be an overpaid safety

11) Trades this year's first to draft J.P. Lohsman, a QB with notable maturity issues

12) Holds up a win-win trade involving Henry long enough that Henry shoots his mouth off (which was INEVITABLE) and likely hurts some of the value he actually had. In a season where neither SHAWN ALEXEXANDER nor EDGERIN JAMES can be dealt for a 2nd round pick.

IMHO, Henry for Shelton straight up is a deal for the Bills. Even if Henry rushes for 1500 yards for the next 5 years for someone else, he's worthless to us now.

Also, Henry has proven by his comments recently and when McGahee was drafted that he's as dumb as a box of rocks.

As I said, some have worked out (Spikes, McGahee so far), but the man just keeps rolling the dice on headline grabbers and puts too much faith in failing players (Bledsoe before this off-season and some members of the O-line)

I just cannot keep the faith anymore. I've lost my ability to SHoUt

VOTE MODRAK 2006

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Donahoe still has a chip on his shoulder about being dumped in Steel-town, so all he has done since coming to Buffalo is make one "catch-your-attention" move after another.  Some worked out, most have not. 

289500[/snapback]

Until someone comes up with concrete evidence that this is the main motivation behind TD's moves I think it's safe to assume his moves are motivated by his desire to win and nothing else.

If you think Modrak will be much different from who he's learned the trade from the past several years, you're mistaken. TD signs players and takes chances on players, many of which have panned out, some that haven't. Name a GM who hasn't and doesn't.

As for No. 9, Bledsoe restructured his contract. His cap number was $5.5M if my math is correct (go to the 2004 Front Office page on billsdaily). I'd say that, or even $8M/yr, is better than the $16M/yr Indy will be paying Manning to be a choke artist.

If you're going to quit on your team, get your facts straight. :blink:

What a fan! And, this is the important part, so listen up..... It's a !@#$ing game!!

As President of the Team, he also oversees the day to day operations of the entire organization. An 86 year old owner does not have the time to start another complete rebuild job. Once we go 4-12, that will happen. I'm frustrated with the last 2 seasons, especially 2003 and the first month of 2004. Still, I can see too many positives coming out of last years finish to toss away hope.

As President of the Team, he also oversees the day to day operations of the entire organization. An 86 year old owner does not have the time to start another complete rebuild job. Once we go 4-12, that will happen. I'm frustrated with the last 2 seasons, especially 2003 and the first month of 2004. Still, I can see too many positives coming out of last years finish to toss away hope.

289611[/snapback]

Beat me to it Mark.

But I'm still trying to figure out how people can claim that a person who is as highly respected in his industry as TD is in his could possibly be so self-absorbed that he would put his own selfish interests ahead of what he feels will yield the best results- in this case, wins.

Simply makes no sense to me.

See ya! Don't get back on. We don't have much respect for those who don't stay with this team around here.

289535[/snapback]

good call.....if that's your idea of being a "solid" football fan...then move to LA...and see how those fair weather fans are liking it :doh:

Simply makes no sense to me.

289614[/snapback]

Of course it makes no sense to you. You're not trying to think up conspiracy theories as to why certain moves were made, instead of just observing they were either good or bad moves. :)

Hiring Gregg Williams, drafting certain players etc. were bad moves and the criticism is warranted. Twisting it into some power hungry evil plot to get revenge on the Steelers or move the team out of Buffalo are the M.O. of some of our resident Smacktards, who can't produce any hard evidence or understand the negative backlash. :doh:

2)  Decides Rob Johnson IS worth investing another season in.

Who was the better alternative?

3)  Trades future first rounder for Drew Bledsoe

7)  Quickly uses up recently acquired cap space to acquire Lawyer Milloy before season opener 2004

8)  Fires Greg Williams, hires another unproven coach without the highest credentials in Mike Mularkey

9)  Absorbs an 8 MILLION DOLLAR CAP HIT last summer to keep Bledsoe another year (a move that also cost us a couple of additional million this off-season)

Who was the better alternative? Shane "I was sitting on the couch until the Bills called me" Matthews? We went 9-7 and generated considerable buzz.

10)  Allows younger, more productive A. Winfield to leave and acquires aging Troy Vincent who will now be an overpaid safety

Vincent was MUCH cheaper than AW.

11)  Trades this year's first to draft J.P. Lohsman, a QB with notable maturity issues

Who was the better alternative? You can't complain about keeping Bledsoe, and then complain about JPL.

Looks to me like you didn't actually follow your own advice about looking at who else is available.

CW

I don't think Tom Donahoe deserves to be praised at all, but I also don't think he deserves to be railroaded.

He's done a lot of good for this team but he's also made some big mistakes. It all evens out in the end in my opinion. However, he's a few players away from making the Bills a real SB contender.

The rise or fall of JP will be the rise or fall of TD.

289611[/snapback]

What's with this optimism? We haven't signed anyone. This offseason is a big failure. I'm not renewing my season tickets.

Come to think of it, these problems weren't as much of a factor until we lost that game to the Steelers. My wife is a Steelers fan........it must be her fault! Yeah, that's it. She's outta here!

Who's next?

What's with this optimism?  We haven't signed anyone.  This offseason is a big failure.  I'm not renewing my season tickets. 

Come to think of it, these problems weren't as much of a factor until we lost that game to the Steelers.  My wife is a Steelers fan........it must be her fault!  Yeah, that's it.  She's outta here!

Who's next?

289773[/snapback]

You are not re-signing Psycho Ward 86? :doh:

Did she know she was a UFA? :)

You know, I can jump off a coach or player bandwagon anytime I want, but for some reason my ass is glued to the Bills wagon. :D