Barnwell has Bills at 6 wins in 2019

Not for nothing but color me shocked that he writes of Allen: '...There are also still plenty of questions about Allen, who needed a late surge to finish with a 67.9 passer rating, the 14th-worst mark for a quarterback in a 300-attempt season in league history...'

while giving everyone's favorite other Josh the kid gloves: '... it's unfair to judge Josh Rosen after he spent 2018 playing behind backup linemen..."

and failing to mention that Allen's rating was actually, um, higher than Rosen's last season. FWIW Barnwell was a very big Taylor 'look at the stats' guy while he was in Buffalo.

42 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Every team also has draft picks and free agency. I heard all the same stuff about the Bills being a playoff team before last season.  

Not every team has the same amount of cap space, cap commitments and draft picks. The Bills have a top 10 pick and extra mid to late round selections, its not an Oakland Raiders type amount of picks but still a nice set of picks to work with and the Bills have a top 3 amount of cap space to work with. So its fair to say the Bills have a great set of tools to work with in order to construct a roster. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not every team has the same amount of cap space, cap commitments and draft picks. The Bills have a top 10 pick and extra mid to late round selections, its not an Oakland Raiders type amount of picks but still a nice set of picks to work with and the Bills have a top 3 amount of cap space to work with. So its fair to say the Bills have a great set of tools to work with in order to construct a roster. 

They may have some tools but a free agent signing can easily and quickly turn into a negative asset if you overpay and/or sign the wrong player. Colts and Jets are more desireable destinations with more cap space. 

Draft picks are a crap shoot especially after the 3rd round. 

This is all beofre you think about their past signings and how effective they’ve been. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This is the same group that started peterman in a playoff hunt, started him to begin last season, didn’t cut peterman and had to have him come back in weeks later, signed Tolbert, and gave up one of those precious draft picks for Kelvin Benjamin. 

1 minute ago, teef said:

again, no you didn't.

Yes I did. 

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Yes I did. 

the talk on this board was that this team was only a 2 win team.  by the way everyone was talking preseason last year, a 6 win year was an accomplishment.  no one was talking playoffs...at all.  i mean, i suppose you can find one or two people who thought that, but to act like that was a board perception is just wrong and dishonest.

Just now, teef said:

the talk on this board was that this team was only a 2 win team.  by the way everyone was talking preseason last year, a 6 win year was an accomplishment.  no one was talking playoffs...at all.  i mean, i suppose you can find one or two people who thought that, but to act like that was a board perception is just wrong and dishonest.

No one AT ALL? I specifically remember asking a few posters if they wanted to change their prediction after the Ravens game in the preseason predictions thread. 

I never said it was the general board perception but there were plenty of people. 

Im replying to one poster who is reminding me of the same rationalizations I saw before last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not for nothing but color me shocked that he writes of Allen: '...There are also still plenty of questions about Allen, who needed a late surge to finish with a 67.9 passer rating, the 14th-worst mark for a quarterback in a 300-attempt season in league history...'

while giving everyone's favorite other Josh the kid gloves: '... it's unfair to judge Josh Rosen after he spent 2018 playing behind backup linemen..."

and failing to mention that Allen's rating was actually, um, higher than Rosen's last season. FWIW Barnwell was a very big Taylor 'look at the stats' guy while he was in Buffalo.

I mean re read the first part again.  You guys are really surprised national media isn’t going crazy about Allen?

and the same thing is happening in Arizona with Rosen.  Most people here say Rosen sucks but they are doing the same thing with him than we are doing with Allen. 

12 minutes ago, Chemical said:

No one AT ALL? I specifically remember asking a few posters if they wanted to change their prediction after the Ravens game in the preseason predictions thread. 

I never said it was the general board perception but there were plenty of people. 

Im replying to one poster who is reminding me of the same rationalizations I saw before last season. 

goodness you are quite the pedant

when Derek Anderson was the QB and Peterman was the other option and Allen was hurt......

glad you have totally forgotten it and live now knowing the whole time it would get 6 wins, which really sucks, nothing to be proud of

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

there weren't plenty of people at all.  there's always a few, and i get that, but what you're saying isn't true.  just look at the prediction thread.  

edit:  at the end of the day, i guess this doesn't matter anyway.

Edited by teef

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean re read the first part again.  You guys are really surprised national media isn’t going crazy about Allen?

and the same thing is happening in Arizona with Rosen.  Most people here say Rosen sucks but they are doing the same thing with him than we are doing with Allen. 

If he's going to bring up passer rating I think it's fair game to mention that Allen had a better rating than Rosen. Not sure why you'd object to that.

*EDIT- and I haven't heard anything about the Bills looking at drafting a QB this year, while there's talk of that in Arizona, so I'd say no, the same thing isn't happening here.

Edited by GoBills808
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If he's going to bring up passer rating I think it's fair game to mention that Allen had a better rating than Rosen. Not sure why you'd object to that.

*EDIT- and I haven't heard anything about the Bills looking at drafting a QB this year, while there's talk of that in Arizona, so I'd say no, the same thing isn't happening here.

Well, it was a point difference.  And the Arizona talk was because Kliff said he liked Murray a lot 3 years ago.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well, it was a point difference.  And the Arizona talk was because Kliff said he liked Murray a lot 3 years ago.  

I appreciate your ability to contextualize QB performance. I'm sure you've been as charitable to Allen regarding your reasoning as you've been here with Rosen.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I appreciate your ability to contextualize QB performance. I'm sure you've been as charitable to Allen regarding your reasoning as you've been here with Rosen.

I’ve been super consistent, though I realize most fans don’t like to be objective.  Baker is the only qb I’d bet on being a franchise qb at this point.  Darnold is probably next but his turnovers need to be controlled.  Then, I have Allen, Jackson, and Rosen as needs to improve.  

I liked that Arizona went all in on an offensive coach.  Personally, I think we are settling for Daboll and could have gotten a better OC for Allen but we will see.

14 minutes ago, Chemical said:

They may have some tools but a free agent signing can easily and quickly turn into a negative asset if you overpay and/or sign the wrong player. Colts and Jets are more desireable destinations with more cap space. 

Draft picks are a crap shoot especially after the 3rd round. 

This is all beofre you think about their past signings and how effective they’ve been. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This is the same group that started peterman in a playoff hunt, started him to begin last season, didn’t cut peterman and had to have him come back in weeks later, signed Tolbert, and gave up one of those precious draft picks for Kelvin Benjamin. 

Yes I did. 

The McBeane regime hasn't had a major free agent signing above 3 million aav on the offensive side of the ball. The only major move they made was KB which while a bust is only a singular move made at the trade deadline. So I can't really say how good or bad this regime is when it comes to signing offensive talent because for the most part they have gone shopping in the bargain bin. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The McBeane regime hasn't had a major free agent signing above 3 million aav on the offensive side of the ball. The only major move they made was KB which while a bust is only a singular move made at the trade deadline. So I can't really say how good or bad this regime is when it comes to signing offensive talent because for the most part they have gone shopping in the bargain bin. 

They traded up for Zay.  They traded for Jordan Matthews.  They signed Kerley and cut him.  They signed Boldin.  They already are on OC #2.  They paid a 30 yo back up rb $3 million.

they have sucked on offensive moves.  They need to be much, much, much better.

• Like (+1) 2