Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

On 1/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, eball said:

Is that what you think is going on?  Read more carefully.

I'm glad to see, however, that you care deeply for your younger sibling.

I read more carefully. I read an ESPN article about Toub in K.C. who has an impressive run as of late, say the last 12-13 years with special teams. He has been in the top five for those years by two metrics. I know I am not a big stat guy but.... Hiring a guy who was 18th, which is below average, isn’t all that impressive to me and so I question the hire, which is perfectly acceptable as this is a message board FULL of opinions. 

While I am on the topic, it would seem to me that if you, not you personally but anyone in general, were to examine STs they usually know STs are made up of depth players except for the occasional talent (kicker, returner), which leads me too: McBeane in his loading up the defense, except for Josh, hurt not only the offense but the special teams too. So throwing anyone under the bus for their poor play is scapegoating IMO. 

Thanks

On 1/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, K-9 said:

I call bs. You’ve been hyper critical of every major coaching hire and personnel move and too passionate in your arguments with other forum members in defense of that that criticism for too long to suggest that. This team seems to piss you off to no end. 

In all fairness, hasn't the criticism been warranted? We haven't won a damn thing in 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

In all fairness, hasn't the criticism been warranted? We haven't won a damn thing in 20 years.

...in all fairness, isn't is a bit premature to judge the current era that is realistically just getting started?.....and ain't doing too bad so far IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

38 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Oh, the criticism is certainly warranted and then some. But I wasn’t making a point about criticism one way or the other. My point was you can’t say you “just root for the team” and admonish others for taking the team too seriously when you yourself criticize every move the team makes and then get so defensive when others call you on it. That suggests a bit more of an emotional investment than simply rooting for the team. I find it a bit hypocritical. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Oh, the criticism is certainly warranted and then some. But I wasn’t making a point about criticism one way or the other. My point was you can’t say you “just root for the team” and admonish others for taking the team too seriously when you yourself criticize every move the team makes and then get so defensive when others call you on it. That suggests a bit more of an emotional investment than simply rooting for the team. I find it a bit hypocritical. 

My guess is that ScottLaw wants the Bills to win as much as the next guy. He's too bright to waste his time on these boards if he wasn't at least somewhat emotionally invested.

I consider myself pretty skeptical about the current regime, but you'd never know it when the games are being played.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm curious to know your thoughts, since it seems some are still not trusting the process.

Sean McDermott was hired by the Bills January 11, 2017.

The draft that Mahomes was drafted in was April 27, 2017.

Realistically, is that enough time for McDermott to analyze / research Mahomes and every other QB prospect and other draft prospects, and be able to make a qualified assessment of whether that guy is worthy of the #10 pick?  He knows defense, and it was definitely more conservative and less risky to trade down and take a defensive player.  If you were a new HC, would you trust a GM that is on his way out, to make a QB pick for you, that you will be forced to support for the next 3 - 5 years, because your team invested the 10th pick in the draft for him....or would you rather draft what you know (defense) and wait until your new GM is in place and be able to work with him to pick the QB that fits what you want in a QB?

On 1/17/2019 at 7:13 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not like this "speculation" was created after Mahomes became a star QB.

The talk that Whaley had been powered-off by McD started right away after his hiring and it wasn't a government secret.

The free agency period and draft were full of instances where McD personnel decisions were based on the opinions of new coaching hires(Babich Jr. recommending Poyer and McGeoghan advising the Zay Jones pick) and the Carolina claiming that McD had stolen their draft board and maneuvered in front of them multiple times.

Whaley wasn't pulling strings in that draft.  

Has nothing to do with what Mahomes turned into.  It has everything to do with the internal deliberations on trading away that pick, and Pegulas had a front row seat and know exactly who was advocating what and what the plan was going to be going forward.  

2 hours ago, GG said:

Has nothing to do with what Mahomes turned into.  It has everything to do with the internal deliberations on trading away that pick, and Pegulas had a front row seat and know exactly who was advocating what and what the plan was going to be going forward.  

Things we know for sure:

1) McDermott didn't want Mahomes with that pick

2) The rest of the personnel staff was fired immediately after the draft

So there is nowhere else to deflect blame to if you are McDermott or a McPologist.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saw that this morning....31st.  God awful.  No excuse for having 31st ranked ST.  The Jest are 1 by a wide margin.  They always seem to have good ST.  We should take some pointers from them.

On 1/19/2019 at 3:13 PM, iinii said:

Hiring a guy who was 18th, which is below average, isn’t all that impressive to me and so I question the hire, which is perfectly acceptable as this is a message board FULL of opinions. 

Exactly.

The objective in the NFL is to win every game possible and finish first.

You can't have the 18th best coaching staff and 18th best QB and reasonably expect to have the best team.

Now you gotta' start somewhere with hires...........but the idea that you have to go into mediocre-looking hires with a completely open mind and years of patience is baloney.

It's OK to be skeptical of hires that don't look excellent based on their past track record.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Things we know for sure:

1) McDermott didn't want Mahomes with that pick

So there is nowhere else to deflect blame to if you are McDermott or a McPologist.

Unless you were present at all the pre-draft meetings and in the war room, the are the things we know for sure:

1) Bills didn't draft Mahomes with that pick

Everything else is the usual BADOL conjecture, which will undoubtedly change with the tides of news flow.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly.

The objective in the NFL is to win every game possible and finish first.

You can't have the 18th best coaching staff and 18th best QB and reasonably expect to have the best team.

Now you gotta' start somewhere with hires...........but the idea that you have to go into mediocre-looking hires with a completely open mind and years of patience is baloney.

It's OK to be skeptical of hires that don't look excellent based on their past track record.

That’s what I thought....I think.

19 hours ago, bills_fan said:

Saw that this morning....31st.  God awful.  No excuse for having 31st ranked ST.  The Jest are 1 by a wide margin.  They always seem to have good ST.  We should take some pointers from them.

According to the article, the Jets coach joined in 2016 taking over the 31st ranked ST unit.  It was his first job as the head ST coach having been an assistant since beginning a coaching career after a 10 year NFL career as a standout ST player.  (Sound familiar?). They were 30th his first year, 20th in 2017, and 1st last year.  Perhaps our guy, with the same pedigree, can manage to make more than a jump from 31 to 30 his first year.  Having a healthy punter and Haushka hopefully fully recovered from his cheap shot injury should help with that.