How long to close the competitive gap?

Ga boy

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If not next year, not happening with this regime. 

Second year with a hand chosen qb ridiculous cap space AND a high pick? I’m not saying the expectation is the Super Bowl but it shouldn’t end up seeming out of the realm of possibilities. You should be budgeting for playoff tickets at this crossroads 

Yeah but we've always known it was inevitable that those who have shouted down any questioning of McBeane with "It was ALWAYS ABOUT 2019......when they have $90M in cap space!" will be fumbling for new excuses now that the finish line for those excuses is in sight.:lol:

I expect they will be going hard at it hard this offseason...........when you look at their actual track record.......10-16 record since that 5-2 start in 2017 with blowouts galore and 4 utterly punchless/uncompetitive games against New England........that stuff has to end next season.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The excuses are already starting for 2019.

Just read the posts in this thread. 

can you show me any excuses made in this thread?

the question was how long it was going to take to close the competitive gap, and posters gave their answers.  are you just looking to be an angry scotty again?

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It shouldn't take 4 years to build a Super Bowl contender.

Its 2019. Not 1996. 

Their year 1 approach - not getting Beane in until after the draft, avoiding taking a QB when two very good prospects fell to them at 10, selling assets for future picks and then suddenly throwing picks at Kelvin Benjamin when they playoffs were within sight was a strange one (and yet it worked in ending the drought). But really the rebuild only started in year 2. So while next year is year 3 of the regime it is year 2 of the rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, teef said:

they really don't need to make the playoffs next year.  it will be disappointing if the bills win 7, but i'm willing to be the pegulas would be more than happy to give this staff another year.  

Love your posts and attitude Teef, but at some point you have to take off the training wheels and set the expectation to success and not just be satisfied with progress (or the perception of progress).  I agree that they don't necessarily need to make the playoffs next year but 7 wins would be more then just disappointing to me.

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If not next year, not happening with this regime. 

Second year with a hand chosen qb ridiculous cap space AND a high pick? I’m not saying the expectation is the Super Bowl but it shouldn’t end up seeming out of the realm of possibilities. You should be budgeting for playoff tickets at this crossroads 

My expectation is that at worst I won't be checking in on the ESPN playoff machine until there are 2 maybe 3 games left in the season. I could live with a season that we should have made the playoffs and didn't but if it's another where we could have made the playoffs and didn't it may be time to move on to a new regime.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

can you show me any excuses made in this thread?

the question was how long it was going to take to close the competitive gap, and posters gave their answers.  are you just looking to be an angry scotty again?

Closing the gap means improvement. Progress is closing the gap. I’ll wait and watch and decide when I see the games.. NOW is not the time to tell how I will feel next season. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Love your posts and attitude Teef, but at some point you have to take off the training wheels and set the expectation to success and not just be satisfied with progress (or the perception of progress).  I agree that they don't necessarily need to make the playoffs next year but 7 wins would be more then just disappointing to me.

when i need they don't need to make the playoffs, i mean if they don't, i don't think the pegulas will fire everyone.  as a fan i think they need to and will be disappointed if the don't.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah but we've always known it was inevitable that those who have shouted down any questioning of McBeane with "It was ALWAYS ABOUT 2019......when they have $90M in cap space!" will be fumbling for new excuses now that the finish line for those excuses is in sight.:lol:

I expect they will be going hard at it hard this offseason...........when you look at their actual track record.......10-16 record since that 5-2 start in 2017 with blowouts galore and 4 utterly punchless/uncompetitive games against New England........that stuff has to end next season.

I don’t know why but it still surprises me that as they watch the eagles, rams, chiefs in the playoffs that some fans still think it’s a 5 year rebuild process in today’s nfl. 

The one I quoted was totally ruling out year 3 under McD and only maybe in year 4? If you believe that you need to be calling for heads.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Angry Scotty?

I think it's funny. 

"It's REALLY ONLY year 2 for Beane though."

that's it?  that's not an excuse, it's a reality.  even if it is year two from beane, it's year 3 under this coaching staff, and fans expect results as they should.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

really scott?  after 17 years of not making the playoffs, no shake up was needed?  and while you're at it, why don't you just act like getting a good coach and franchise qb is no biggie!

What in the actual f*ck are you talking about?:doh:

Donahoe tore it down.........Jauron and Levy tore it down hard AGAIN..........Buddy and Chan specifically tried to do a 180 from what Jauron did a miserable job of doing.........so yet another re-build.............you are oblivious if you think we haven't seen numerous tear downs and their result in the past 17 years.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Closing the gap means improvement. Progress is closing the gap. I’ll wait and watch and decide when I see the games.. NOW is not the time to tell how I will feel next season. 

agreed.  if this team shows no improvement into next year, we're all pretty screwed.  i do think though that we can see improvement without the playoffs.  people may not like to hear that, but it could work out that way.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Donahoe tore it down.........Jauron and Levy tore it down hard AGAIN..........Buddy and Chan specifically tried to do a 180 from what Jauron did a miserable job of doing.........so yet another re-build.............you are oblivious if you think we haven't seen numerous tear downs and their result in the past 17 years.

don't you have an awful hot take to push on someone?

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t know why but it still surprises me that as they watch the eagles, rams, chiefs in the playoffs that some fans still think it’s a 5 year rebuild process in today’s nfl. 

The one I quoted was totally ruling out year 3 under McD and only maybe in year 4? If you believe that you need to be calling for heads.

Unfortunately the fanbase is just so accustomed to losing they are afraid to expect results.

They can't even remember that the things been torn down numerous times in the past 17 years.............nope........no this is the first time it's been torn down!:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Unfortunately the fanbase is just so accustomed to losing they are afraid to expect results.

They can't even remember that the things been torn down numerous times in the past 17 years.............nope........no this is the first time it's been torn down!:lol:

who said this?

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Getting rid of talent because they didn't fit the system/didn't want to be here/got outbid is NOT NEW for the Bills franchise. It's been done time and time and time and time again. These guys have made a point of emphasizing the need to get rid of these players, but I've seen this play before.

They have THE Coach. They have THE Quarterback. Why should fans expect anything less than the playoffs in 2019?

I'm getting the sense that people are already preparing for mediocrity next season, yet are somehow fine with it. I want more from this team. I'm sick of tired of watching other teams spring up out of nowhere and go on playoff runs while the Bills talk about "next year." It's always next year. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Anything short of having a shot to make the playoffs entering Week 17 would be a disappointment.(Assuming Allen remains healthy) 

agreed.  even at this point it's tough to use injuries as an excuse.  it has to happen at some point.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It all depends on if we find out if Allen is any good

I think we have found out he can be pretty good...its more about consistency.  There are not many QBs in the NF that could have put the team on his back like Allen did in the 2nd half of the last Miami game.  Dude literally took over the game

While we may be closing in on the playoffs, getting to the 1 or 2 and the week off luxury that affords may not be as close as desired. There is a big difference in the the pack leaders and everyone else as evidenced by this weekend’s slate. 

3 minutes ago, teef said:

agreed.  if this team shows no improvement into next year, we're all pretty screwed.  i do think though that we can see improvement without the playoffs.  people may not like to hear that, but it could work out that way.

don't you have an awful hot take to push on someone?

Man.........I don't know if I can top your "after 17 years it was time to tear it down for the first time ever" take...........that was a hawwwwwt f*cking take,  champ!:thumbsup:

for clarification here, it's obvious that some people are reading into the fact that some don't feel competitive gap will be closed enough next year as being ok.  take a breath and realize that was never said.  we were set up for failure with the promise of results, and year 3 is when fans rightfully come looking.