Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's hard when a jest turns into a money-making machine

by the third edition everyone gripes about how little $$$ they are pocketing and everyone hates each other

That is usually true, but from what I've seen and or read   is how much this cast lives and loves together. 

If there was true angst I have not seen it    or maybe its because I try to ignore gossip.  

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

an image from the preview to 8-5    Danys (partial) Army  - whats left of it

Image result for Game Of Thronesâ Season 8 Episode 5 Photos

and one I've not seen (or recall seeing)   or its a meaningless photoshop 

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

What's with King's Landing just completely changing?

a3Qpxx1_700b.jpg

Or this view:

Screen-Shot-2019-05-08-at-13.41.06.png

Real head scratcher there...

The even moved the city on the map:  https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/definitive-proof-geography-kings-landing-changed-game-thrones-668191

As I am getting a bit older, I have been thinking about getting a good book series to read.  The last books I read were Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang, and SE Hinton's Rumble Fish and The Outsiders.  I have a Lord of The Rings book that has never been opened.

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

a3Qpxx1_700b.jpg

Or this view:

Screen-Shot-2019-05-08-at-13.41.06.png

Real head scratcher there...

The even moved the city on the map:  https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/definitive-proof-geography-kings-landing-changed-game-thrones-668191

LOL  on the other side of the "continent"   

4 minutes ago, PIZ said:

As I am getting a bit older, I have been thinking about getting a good book series to read.  The last books I read were Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang, and SE Hinton's Rumble Fish and The Outsiders.  I have a Lord of The Rings book that has never been opened.

If you read the D&D stuff with Elves and Fairies and Dwarves   the names of characters are much easier in GoT.   

If you are into D&D Forgotten Realms  Margaret Weis / Hickman 

R A Salvatore - there is one series I've read for a decade and I still can't figure out how to pronounce some names.  

Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series 

Clive Cussler  Numa Series 

W.E.B. Griffin  THE PRESIDENTIAL AGENT Series  (thought I was disappointed int he last book I read)

Dale Brown Flight of the Old Dog and on - must be a dozen and a half on McLanahan 

Dan Brown DiVinci Code 

The public Library is your friend 

Well, trying to figure out the moving King's Landing can lead one down a reeeeeeal rabbit hole.  Not sure what was said on that last conference call, but I AM more convinced than ever King's Landing has changed several times... ?

38 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you read the D&D stuff with Elves and Fairies and Dwarves   the names of characters are much easier in GoT.   

If you are into D&D Forgotten Realms  Margaret Weis / Hickman 

R A Salvatore - there is one series I've read for a decade and I still can't figure out how to pronounce some names.  

Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series 

Clive Cussler  Numa Series 

W.E.B. Griffin  THE PRESIDENTIAL AGENT Series  (thought I was disappointed int he last book I read)

Dale Brown Flight of the Old Dog and on - must be a dozen and a half on McLanahan 

Dan Brown DiVinci Code 

The public Library is your friend 

Drizz't?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

True, but nothing tops killing off Cat and Robb Stark, King of the North... along with his pregnant wife in such a gruesome manner.

I don't know if any death even coming up can top that.

we can always hope

(i guess....)

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

True, but nothing tops killing off Cat and Robb Stark, King of the North... along with his pregnant wife in such a gruesome manner.

I don't know if any death even coming up can top that.

Definitely not, since any and all deaths are expected at this point.

I just want Cersei to die a horrible, miserable, lonely death. If she commits suicide or something, I'll be incredibly disappointed. ?

How about the William Wallace treatment? She's torn apart limb from limb and each piece is sent to a different part of Westeros.

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Are  the  books  an easy read or is it like reading Lord Jim or Moby Dick where you can't figure out what is going on because the grammar is not easy to read?

The books are written as you might expect, where each chapter (sometimes very long chapter) is dedicated to a particular character.  In fact, from what I recall each chapter is actually titled the character who it'll dive into.  

Any time the story centered around Winterfell, Castle Black, beyond the Wall with the Wildlings, or King's Landing,  I loved it.  I found it pretty easy reading because of how invested I was in the characters.

I really didn't like Dany's storyline in the book and I didn't like her.  I've felt the same in the show, too.  It's why I hope she dies.  But so in the books when it would go to her storyline, I would lose some interest.

Part of the reason is because for the first half of the series, she's not in Westeros, so she's largely disconnected from the rest of the storyline and characters.

I read the first 3 books in their entirety, bought the 4th book, got maybe halfway through, and stopped.  In the 4th book they just started bringing in these new characters when they went to Dorne (I think) and I was already so invested in the others that I was kinda irritated Martin brought in these other distractions from Jon Snow and Tyrion.  I also think the 4th book lost some steam much like the series for me because the 3rd book was the Red Wedding, which was also epic and unpredictable in the books.

Tyrion's even better in the books.

I didn't read far enough to actually get to it, but I know the show left out a really important twist involving Cat Stark... and I wonder why it chose to do that.

But honestly, I'll never read the rest of the books and I actually question whether Martin even writes the 7th.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really liked the 4th book and consider it on-par with the first 3.  

The 5th book has some great chapters, especially in the first half (a few even made me exclaim "yeah!")... but as I said, they bogged it down with the Meereen/Slavers Bay logjam, introduced a few new and worthless characters connected to that logjam that wasted time, lots more travel and too much world-building in Essos, which I really didnt care about.... and also spent too much time with Jon/Castle Black... which for the most part was a stalemate (until the last Jon POV of the book).

The 5th book IS worth it for the "Reek" POV chapters.  The best chapter IMO was a Davos one (one that made me exclaim)... it was about halfway through the book, then nothing really great (until the last Jon POV as well as the epilogue).  

With that said, Im super-duper looking forward to Winds of Winter.  Meereen is almost through, and its going to cut into the nitty gritty.

Edited by May Day 10

52 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Definitely not, since any and all deaths are expected at this point.

I just want Cersei to die a horrible, miserable, lonely death. If she commits suicide or something, I'll be incredibly disappointed. ?

How about the William Wallace treatment? She's torn apart limb from limb and each piece is sent to a different part of Westeros.

She just has to die a slow and painful death at this point.  It'd be such a letdown if she didn't.

30 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I really liked the 4th book and consider it on-par with the first 3.  

The 5th book has some great chapters, especially in the first half (a few even made me exclaim "yeah!")... but as I said, they bogged it down with the Meereen/Slavers Bay logjam, introduced a few new and worthless characters connected to that logjam that wasted time, lots more travel and too much world-building in Essos, which I really didnt care about.... and also spent too much time with Jon/Castle Black... which for the most part was a stalemate (until the last Jon POV of the book).

The 5th book IS worth it for the "Reek" POV chapters.  The best chapter IMO was a Davos one (one that made me exclaim)... it was about halfway through the book, then nothing really great (until the last Jon POV as well as the epilogue).  

With that said, Im super-duper looking forward to Winds of Winter.  Meereen is almost through, and its going to cut into the nitty gritty.

Are you reading the prequel Martin wrote that came out a few months ago?  The one that takes place hundreds of years before GoT and I think centers on the Targaryens?

I'm curious about how that book is and whether Martin is making that into a series, too.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

She just has to die a slow and painful death at this point.  It'd be such a letdown if she didn't.

Are you reading the prequel Martin wrote that came out a few months ago?  The one that takes place hundreds of years before GoT and I think centers on the Targaryens?

I'm curious about how that book is and whether Martin is making that into a series, too.

I have not read that yet.  I am currently reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (another prequel tale).  Its formatted a bit differently, but I like it. Lots of illustrations, and quick tales which is nice after the long-game of the Song of Ice and Fire series. 

After that, I plan on reading Fire and Blood.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I have not read that yet.  I am currently reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (another prequel tale).  Its formatted a bit differently, but I like it. Lots of illustrations, and quick tales which is nice after the long-game of the Song of Ice and Fire series. 

After that, I plan on reading Fire and Blood.

I honestly wasn't even aware of A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.  I might have to check that one out.

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Drizz't?

yes, and all the other other people born in Menzoberranzan.      I just think Dritz, kinda like Favre

especially buzzed .  I'd get to their name ans skip past it.   Spent too much time trying to figure out the proper pronunciation.  

I'm stalling on the latest book waiting for the price to drop. 

Both my sons would read these.  I read one when I was out on a work trip and got hooked.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I’ve wanted to get through the books again. Read them through during season two of the show so it’s been a few years.

A Storm of Swords is probably my favorite. I started liking them less as Martin kept expanding the universe and adding characters. I think that is part of the reason he couldn’t get the story home, was going off on too many tangents. 

3 hours ago, Heitz said:

a3Qpxx1_700b.jpg

i'd be willing to suspend enough disbelief to think that since Winter had started the vegetation had died out as the weather changed

But they changed the architecture too

That's just sloppy show running

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i'd be willing to suspend enough disbelief to think that since Winter had started the vegetation had died out as the weather changed

But they changed the architecture too

That's just sloppy show running

I feel like there has to be SOME reason it's like this (you know, beyond "hey, series is almost over!").  Still, there are images that show behind the "good guys" and there are no hills behind them...

Just bugs me.  That and the fact Cersei could have killed all of her enemies right then and there, but didn't for some reason??  Made no sense at all... :D 

Guess we'll know more / have more to B word about in just a few days!! :beer: