Returntoglory

Build a dominant O-Line!

On 1/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, Shaw66 said:

One quality free agent and one high draft pick should net two starters.   That should  enough, with some growth from last season's starters.   A third new face starting would be nice, but I think two is enough.  And integrating two is possible; three new guys is like starting over, which is okay if you have to.  

I'd guess that among Dawkins, Bodine, Miller, Mills and Teller there are three 2019 starters.  

: O   Maybe 2 ?? 

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

True but draft picks can bust just as easily if an over payed FA.  Probably much less often actually and we have more cap space relative to draft picks.  OL is the center of everything, a solid line improves the WR's, RBS, and most importantly QB.  Id rather overspend on an established lineman thank risk it in the draft. That being said draft all the OL you can anyways 

Solder is the counter-example. Seriously, from the outside, signing a proven star LT and then selecting a freak RB at #2 overall in the draft, while having Eli, Beckham,etc. it sure sounded a great plan to build a top level offense. Talk about backfiring! Well, that RB is for real, but the rest didn't work. You can't fault the intent or plan though. Goes to show how hard it can be to build a great team!

Still I too think simply 2 significant improvement at the OLine, with Josh in his 2nd year, Daboll having figured up his roster, all that can lead to instant significant improvements, even it doesn't fix most issues.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, Returntoglory said:

Watching the Colts game right now once again they put the graphic up of the offensive ranking from last year of the Colts and then with the addition of their first round pick and additional upgrades, Luck's O-Line is night and day and they are dominant!  This has to be the focus of the draft and free agency. 

drop down 3 spots in the draft, pick up an extra three 2nd round picks and then select the best LG in the league.....yep, sign me up

28 minutes ago, papazoid said:

drop down 3 spots in the draft, pick up an extra three 2nd round picks and then select the best LG in the league.....yep, sign me up

That's like a once every 10 years scenario though.

Article in D&C

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/01/10/buffalo-bills-look-offensive-linemen-free-agency/2531441002/

Who you like as FA targets?

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would go after Ja' Wuan James and Darryl Williams at RT. Paradis and Morse at Center. If we can fill those two positions in free agency, it gives us much more flexibility entering the draft.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

RT - Daryll Williams is really obvious and I hope he comes here. I think there is a chance we hire Ray Brown and I think Brown would help get him here. Brown tutored him into an all pro. He's a huge upgrade. Massie, Hart, guys like that are not massive upgrades compared to Mills, the same way Williams is.  I like Josh Wells of Jacksonville as a guy who deserves a shot, but he's probably more of a swing guy.

G - Glowisnki is really a great fit, but I think he's going to be a tough add because the Colts have so much cap space. I think Spain is a bit more realistic. While the Titans have some cap space, if they extend Spain they will have two highly paid guards, and I'm not sure they will be willing to do that as they have a number of other needs. I like AJ Cann too. He's improved each year and with Jacksonville's cap crunch, there is very little chance he comes back. But I've said a few times, my preferred route to getting a guard is trying to trade for one like Forrest Lamp or Alex Lewis. I would also bring in Luke Joeckel for competition at the bottom of the roster. 

C- I'm a Mitch Morse guy. I've watched a good amount of KC games and he blocks very well. He is a former college left tackle at Mizzou, so he has more skill than your average center. Mahomes does run for his life a lot, Morse is still locked onto his guy most of the time. He fits any scheme, is versatile and athletic. He's had concussions so that's a red flag. But for a team like ours, he is a huge upgrade and well worth the risk. He's still young and fits in our window. I think KC is preparing for his departure as they extended Austin Reiter and the extended Cam Erving early in the year. I like Paradis, but he is a zone only center and he is unlikely to make it to free agency imo. 

• Like (+1) 1