How much coffee is too much coffee?

———-

i didn’t drink coffee until my senior year of undergrad and a course called Seminar in Accounting Theory for four hours on a Wednesday night.

i learned to drink 2 super large Tim Horton’s coffees just to get through that total BS

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

My best friend married into a family that was more coffee-cultured. When at the in-laws for lunch they asked if I wanted a cup of coffee, serving me a large mug (as well they gave the same portion to their five year old son)

i took a few sips and almost went into toxic shock as it was espresso. The son downed his in a few minutes with ease.

so I guess your mileage may vary.... 

——————

my first time in the big city for work I visited a real coffee store and spent about a week in pain acclimatizing my stomach to strong coffee.

That's just flat out ***** up.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

My best friend married into a family that was more coffee-cultured. When at the in-laws for lunch they asked if I wanted a cup of coffee, serving me a large mug (as well they gave the same portion to their five year old son)

i took a few sips and almost went into toxic shock as it was espresso. The son downed his in a few minutes with ease.

so I guess your mileage may vary.... 

——————

my first time in the big city for work I visited a real coffee store and spent about a week in pain acclimatizing my stomach to strong coffee.

Espresso is strong in flavor, but weak in caffeine.

The extraction time is too fast for it to be powerful coffee from a caffeine perspective.

Edited by Nextmanup

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Espresso is strong in flavor, but weak in caffeine.

The extraction time is too fast for it to be powerful coffee from a caffeine perspective.

Getting served a full mug of espresso when I was expecting a cup of basic coffee was an experience I could do without again

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

For some reason it goes right through me. Either in the front or back.

Must be those frappes with 80g of sugar in them....

coffee and apple cider vinegar have been great helps in clearing out the back, when required

Many years ago, I was in a combination bookstore and coffee shop on Elmwood Avenue, and despite having made myself strong pots of freshly ground dark roast daily, I had never tried espresso.  I ordered one, the barista prepared a small paper cup, and slid it across the counter.  I see the size, down it, feel my eardrums ‘pop’, and say to him “Interesting.  I’ll have one.”  He looks at me, raises an eyebrow, and says “You just did”.  I felt like Clem Kaddidlehopper, just rode in from Podunk.

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Covfefe

My best was somehow the iPhone defaulted to “scrotal” for which I have no clue how that could be

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Many years ago, I was in a combination bookstore and coffee shop on Elmwood Avenue, and despite having made myself strong pots of freshly ground dark roast daily, I had never tried espresso.  I ordered one, the barista prepared a small paper cup, and slid it across the counter.  I see the size, down it, feel my eardrums ‘pop’, and say to him “Interesting.  I’ll have one.”  He looks at me, raises an eyebrow, and says “You just did”.  I felt like Clem Kaddidlehopper, just rode in from Podunk.

Best was in Vegas where for $15 my friend’s order for an Americano was hot water from the tap in a spoonful of Nescafe 

• Haha (+1) 1

IIRC Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters said he would drink multiple pots of coffee a day and had to give it up because the doctors said the amount was enough to cause serious damage and possibly kill him.

I think it may depend on the person, I wouldn't drink more then 1, maybe 2 during a day, usually a large or XL from Timmies and I found after a week or 2 I would have problems with #2's. I drink more tea now, although I know someone who drank alot of tea and had a serious issue with kidney stones from it.

38 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

IIRC Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters said he would drink multiple pots of coffee a day and had to give it up because the doctors said the amount was enough to cause serious damage and possibly kill him.

That was the only substance he was taking?