The looming Fortnite debate

GG

If it's ok for regulators to investigate and control drugs which have highly addictive properties that negatively affect the brain, should the same standard apply  to developers of video games which intentionally program in features that stimulate and activate the same addictive tendencies?

I know where the parents of teens and preteens stand.  

14 minutes ago, GG said:

If it's ok for regulators to investigate and control drugs which have highly addictive properties that negatively affect the brain, should the same standard apply  to developers of video games which intentionally program in features that stimulate and activate the same addictive tendencies?

We're long overdue for a conversation about the real world effects of gaming.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

We're long overdue for a conversation about the real world effects of gaming.

Growing up my parents had a strict rule of only 1 hour per day playing xbox/playstation/whatever video games. Now if a kid is playing video games for only an hour a day, they're barely playing any at all. Looking back, it definitely effected my life in negative ways I did not realize then. I imagine 4+ hours or anything like that per day gaming has a huge effect (some positive, but mostly negative) on the development of 6-17 year old kids.

If anyone has a good research article on that issue I would be interested in reading it as my thoughts are only speculation. 

43 minutes ago, peace out said:

Growing up my parents had a strict rule of only 1 hour per day playing xbox/playstation/whatever video games. Now if a kid is playing video games for only an hour a day, they're barely playing any at all. Looking back, it definitely effected my life in negative ways I did not realize then. I imagine 4+ hours or anything like that per day gaming has a huge effect (some positive, but mostly negative) on the development of 6-17 year old kids.

If anyone has a good research article on that issue I would be interested in reading it as my thoughts are only speculation. 

Yes, yes it did.

39 minutes ago, peace out said:

It's not all video games, but Fortnite specifically.    They've developed the ultimate mousetrap where the more players log on, the more they learn about stimulating and addictive behavior and keep building it into the game.  I don't know if there have been full scale studies done on it yet, but there's ample anecdotal evidence of the game's addictive qualities and it's not an accident.

I wouldn't stop there with the gaming industry.

Let's talk about the "micro" transactions.  

Let's talk about the parents letting their children become "career" gamers, competing in tournaments across the country for big prizes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, peace out said:

I wonder what PPP is doing to all our brains? 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

I wonder what PPP is doing to all our brains? 

I vote you as the least likely poster here to have an issue with that.

4 minutes ago, peace out said:

I put that easter egg in there just for you ;)

Merry Christmas

Sure.

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

I'd say any exposure to your idiocy is a danger to anyone's mental health. 

Shhhh. I don't want to make DR jealous with the size of the suite I have in your head. The good thing is that it was empty and I get to decorate it any way I want.

5 hours ago, GG said:

As somebody addicted to pong as a kid.  Video games are the least of my concerns.

Fair enough, but when do we start giving them money for treating PTSD or school shooting survivors?

https://www.complex.com/life/2016/11/veterans-day-millennials-video-games-ptsd

Seriously, take a read. For vets, video games are excellent therapeutic tools. They have become so immersive and realistic that developers spend incredible amounts of time trying to make their games look and sound like the real thing, and they can be used in therapy. For people trying to process traumatic events, this gives them a bit of the same mentality that they have adopted, but they can turn it off with games of less realism. 

If you want to open this up, how about you actually concede the benefits.

Now, if this is turning into "THEM THERE KIDS WITH THEIR FORTNITE AND THEIR NEW SPEAK AND I DON'T LIKE IT" this is for you

39a.jpg

13 hours ago, GG said:

Your argument isn't going anywhere until you frame it in the context of teabagging as a form of cis white male privilege

Name one product ever offered by a company that hasn't tried to build in a method of retention.  Next, come to the realization that anyone can find a way to redefine retention as addiction.  Technology is simply speeding up the process.  How is Facebook immune to the accusations this video game faces?  They're not as good at causing addiction?

There have been rumors for decades that KFC puts a chemical in its chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly smartass.  Maybe they named the game Fortnite as a homage.