Cam Newton Expected to Be Shut Down for the Season Due to a Throwing Shoulder Injury

26CornerBlitz

He hasn't looked right in many weeks this season.  

Panthers head coach Ron Rivera confirmed that quarterback Cam Newton will not play against the Falcons this Sunday due to the right shoulder injury that’s been hampering him in recent weeks.

Rivera said that the decision to start Taylor Heinicke was made after consultations with the medical staff, General Manager Marty Hurney and team owner David Tepper about what gave the team the best chance to win this week. Rivera said Newton was “disappointed” about the decision, but understood the team’s thinking.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Cam Newton Expected to Be Shut Down for the Season Due to a Throwing Shoulder Injury

I would hate to have Cam Newton as my starter, the Panthers are going through what the Bills did with Taylor. The Panthers would need a defense better than what the Bears have this year to even have a chance at the playoffs. The Panthers need a fresh start at the QB position.

I actually think Newton has worse field vision than Taylor if that is even possible.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would hate to have Cam Newton as my starter, the Panthers are going through what the Bills did with Taylor. The Panthers would need a defense better than what the Bears have this year to even have a chance at the playoffs. The Panthers need a fresh start at the QB position.

You find equivalence between Tyrod and Cam?

I mean I get that people dislike him but he won MVP with a team where Ted Ginn was the best receiver. That year we were dominant despite a fairly weak roster. Unfortunately we lost the big game so it’s meaningless, but he pretty much carried the team that year. That’s what a franchise QB does-regardless of whether you like him. I’m thinking maybe you’re giving Tyrod a bit too much credit here.

Our pass D has been abysmal it’s true, but I wonder if the Bills would hold the saints to only one TD? Actually maybe they would. But we were 6-2 and considered a lock for the playoffs prior to our 6 game losing streak in the weakest part of our schedule. This happened to coincide with Cam’s shoulder injury flaring up. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No.  This is foolishness. 

Is it, though?

His shoulder has been inconsistent. He has chucked the ball up consistently and llet it fly everywhere but has some mystery injury. Panthers fans have seen it and have made it known: newton has been a headcase this year and has no focus.

This is a guy who cares more about his promotion and schtick than he does his team. This is a guy who throws himself around the field too stupid to protect himself and slings the ball so much and so hard that it's a matter of time (this year or next) that he is done.  I don't think Newton will be doing much of anything by 2020. I've said it for 3 years.

This is the decline. He had a good run at being above average but never even touched being a good QB, though he was borderline elite at football.

The dudes a joke and his head is his biggest obstacle.

1 minute ago, Seoul_panther said:

You find equivalence between Tyrod and Cam?

I mean I get that people dislike him but he won MVP with a team where Ted Ginn was the best receiver. That year we were dominant despite a fairly weak roster. Unfortunately we lost the big game so it’s meaningless, but he pretty much carried the team that year. That’s what a franchise QB does-regardless of whether you like him. I’m thinking maybe you’re giving Tyrod a bit too much credit here.

Our pass D has been abysmal it’s true, but I wonder if the Bills would hold the saints to only one TD? Actually maybe they would. But we were 6-2 and considered a lock for the playoffs prior to our 6 game losing streak in the weakest part of our schedule. This happened to coincide with Cam’s shoulder injury flaring up. 

Their defense was terrible that year, yep. And he threw it how many times to get those numbers?  Dudes been blown up at the QB position more than anyone in the last 5 years except Andrew luck.

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Is it, though?

His shoulder has been inconsistent. He has chucked the ball up consistently and llet it fly everywhere but has some mystery injury. Panthers fans have seen it and have made it known: newton has been a headcase this year and has no focus.

This must be how Bills fans feel when people trot out the same old cliches about Allen. As a Panther fan who has watched the games I can tell you he had a completion percentage of almost 70% going into week 8. He was having the best season of his career statistically. Then the injury began to have a noticeable effect on his play. Not sure what you mean by the head case and focus comments but that is a standard accusation of Cam haters.

This is a guy who cares more about his promotion and schtick than he does his team. This is a guy who throws himself around the field too stupid to protect himself and slings the ball so much and so hard that it's a matter of time (this year or next) that he is done.  I don't think Newton will be doing much of anything by 2020. I've said it for 3 years.

This is the decline. He had a good run at being above average but never even touched being a good QB, though he was borderline elite at football.

I’m not fond of his persona. We will see if he’s done though. Sounds like a hot take to me. I will say I’m glad they shut him down this year. You know that people will be saying this about Allen too right? I hope for the Bills that you give Josh more help than Cam got.

Dudes been blown up at the QB position more than anyone in the last 5 years except Andrew luck.

This is completely true.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

This must be how Bills fans feel when people trot out the same old cliches about Allen. As a Panther fan who has watched the games I can tell you he had a completion percentage of almost 70% going into week 8. He was having the best season of his career statistically. Then the injury began to have a noticeable effect on his play. Not sure what you mean by the head case and focus comments but that is a standard accusation of Cam haters.

I’m not fond of his persona. We will see if he’s done though. Sounds like a hot take to me. I will say I’m glad they shut him down this year. You know that people will be saying this about Allen too right? I hope for the Bills that you give Josh more help than Cam got.

This is completely true.

I've seen more of Newton than any other QB in the NFL. It's all they show here.  He's never been a good QB. Never will be.

I've seen more of him this year than Allen, in fact.  I tried for years to like him and find something he does right but I can't find anything at the QB position he does successfully with consistency.

He overthrows, he throws off his back foot or off balance every other throw, he misses wide open targets, he can't place a ball to save his life.  He gets lucky, that's it.  He needs Wes Welker and Steve Smith types who can track and the ball in their routes.

Say what you want about just calling me a Newton Hater that's fine but I've watched more games of his than probably most any other Bills fan.  He can do some amazing things but he isn't consistent and they're more by chance than opportunities he made when throwing.  Running wise he is reckless and sacrificed his body at the most important position on the field while the Panthers have not given him any true RB. Artis Payne was gonna be good and CMC is more of a catcher than runner.

Edit.

Hot take. Newton will never play more than 14 games in a regular season the rest of his career.  I'd say as little as 12.

Edited by Boyst62

Well if you’ve watched a lot of him you will know that early in his career he had an absolute cannon of an arm. His deep throws were a true weapon and the deterioration of his arm strength has been sad to behold, a shadow of what it was and due largely to being given no investment in oline and very few weapons. The best receiver he ever had was Steve Smith at the end of his career prior to this year. Did you know he has more 4th quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers? Now look he’s not a top 5 QB and his mechanics and commitment to his craft are questionable. It’s completely fair to say he was overeliant on his physicality, although he was put in that position and not discouraged from it. He’s immature and his bad games are total shockers but if you think Panthers would have made the playoffs 4 times in the last 5 seasons without him I would say you are mistaken. It’s a flawed roster.

You’re right that he’s been guilty of putting himself in the path of harm. For me selflessness is not a terrible quality. He’s also taken some horrific helmet hits which haven’t drawn flags. Safe to say he doesn’t fall into the golden boy category of Brady or Brees. 

Edited by Seoul_panther
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Panthers still have a small chance to get into playoffs right?  Maybe they think the backup is going to take them places where overrated Cam didn’t .

Nope they're done. I don't think that they were expecting to catch lightning in a bottle with Taylor Heinicke either.  They're just going to enjoy the last couple of jeans Fridays and call it a year.

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

I’m not a fan of Cam but his shoulder is clearly injured. Anyone that watched the game Monday night would agree. It looked like he was trying to throw a boulder instead of a football. I was surprised he even played after watching his throwing motion. 

It reminded of my throwing motion when I tore my rotator cuff ... 

It's a good move.  Cam Newton has looked like" Cam Tucker"  when he has been throwing the ball the last few weeks and there is no reason for him to be out there.  He's not helping the team at this point.  The Panthers are not going anywhere -- get the arm back and go for next year.  

image.jpeg.a5f55f3fa09f7d85b41c19efb6d5cd75.jpeg