THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Bills Come Back, Hold on to Beat Lions

Shaw66

The Bills put in a workmanlike day on the job Sunday, and beat the Lions 14-13 at New Era Field.  It was, so far as the 2018 season is concerned, a meaningless game, and it had that feel.  Both teams were out of the playoff picture and were evenly matched.  Tough defenses and offenses that have struggled.  For the fans and even, it seemed, the officials, it was just something to do for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon in December. 

For the coaches and players, of course, it was serious business.  How serious?   How about Isaiah McKenzie, who cramped up so badly AND sprained his ankle that he had to be carted off the field to the locker room?  McKenzie was back on the field fifteen minutes later, with heavily taped around his cleats, clearly pushing himself through the pain, returning punts so that Micah Hyde, also banged up, wouldn’t have to.  I’ve been so focused on Josh Allen this season that I’ve intentionally not thought all that much about Brandon Beane’s and Sean McDermott’s parade of young hopefuls.  Well, McKenzie made me stop and take notice when he returned to the game. 

It’s not that I hadn’t been aware of the plays McKenzie’s has been making over the past few weeks.  The guy clearly has the talent to do damage in the NFL.  But to be honest, it’s been easy to think of him for now as just another young, fast guy with some skills who might but probably won’t play well enough to be a long-term keeper.  Bills fans have seen plenty of those.  

Getting back on the field said something different about the guy.   It’s not like he’s an unknown rookie in the fourth preseason game who desperately wants a chance to make one more play that might be the difference between making the roster and getting cut.   He’s put more than enough quality plays on tape this season, including against the Lions, to be at or near the top of the depth chart going into the 2019 off-season.   No, this wasn’t about that.  It was about heart and commitment to his coaches and his teammates.  This was about winning, because there was nothing more important to him.

Count me in as a newly-minted McKenzie fan.  And put another check mark in the plus column for Beane and McDermott, for fostering the kind of environment where guys with that kind of heart and commitment are driving the effort to get better.

And while we’re passing out kudos, how about a nod to Doug Whaley for signing Lorenzo Alexander in 2016?   If ever there was a guy in a position to mail it in, it was Lorenzo Alexander on Sunday.  Here’s a guy probably at the end of his career, or at a minimum no longer playing for the next big-money, multi-year deal, playing for a team that is all about the future, a future that Alexander probably won’t be a part of.  Well, if the game he played on Sunday was what mailing it in looks like, I just became a fan of the U.S. Postal Service.  Alexander was everywhere, making tackles, defending passes.  He made a great effort trying to knock down a pass in the fourth quarter, diving and extending for a ball just out of his reach.  It was a spectacular game for Alexander.  Who knows what his future is, but if he’s in the League next season, I hope it’s with the Bills, youth movement or not. 

If you want to talk about mailing it in, let’s talk officiating.  Two teams averaging a combined 13 penalties a game rack up a total of SEVEN?   Were all the officials sleeping when Slay interfered with Zay Jones on the right sideline in the fourth quarter?   Did they somehow wake up on the Bills’ very next play from scrimmage and call interference on a throw to Zay on the left sideline, a play that looked like pretty good defense?   And how about spotting the ball on Ford’s third-and-two run when the Bills were trying to run out the clock?  The outcome of the game was hanging on that spot, and it seemed like the officials said to themselves, “oh, whatever. Let’s just give him the first down and get out of here.”   It was fun to see a game without a lot of penalties, but I would have like it better if I had some confidence that the officials actually were watching the game. 

The crowd more or less mailed it in, too.   For December in Buffalo, it was a pretty nice day.  Very little rain, temperature comfortably above freezing.   Still, there were a lot of empty seats, and between the empty seats and the “we’re-out-of-the-playoffs-again” attitude, crowd noise was down considerably  The end zone fans got into it pretty well when the defense needed a boost at either of the field, but the steady third-down roar that makes New Era special was missing for most of the game.   Fans had a good time, they loved the win, but the usual intensity was missing.

Still, everything about the Bills is different this season, even the meaningless games, and it’s all about Josh Allen.  For the first time in nearly two decades, the Bills are a threat to win any game, simply because they’re putting Josh Allen on the field.   Is he playing like a rookie?   Yes, sometimes he is.  Getting sacked out of field goal range is a classic rookie mistake.  Holding the ball above his head and fumbling while he’s scrambling is a classic rookie mistake, although it may have a risk worth taking on fourth down.  There are plenty of things that need work, some that fans see and plenty more that only coaches see. 

All those things that need work are the reason Allen’s stats are as bad as they are.   His season passer rating at 65.5 tells it all.   He’s throwing more INTs than TDs, his completion percentage is below where it needs to be, he’s been sacked 27 times in little more than half a season.   It’s a classic rookie profile.  (By the way, it’s the same profile Sam Darnold has, and the same profile Jared Goff had as a rookie in 2016.).  Only Baker Mayfield among the rookies has stepped into the league playing like a keeper.

Since returning from his injury, Allen has looked good in two wins and looked bad, at least statistically, in two losses.   Some commentators actually thought the losses to the Dolphins and Jets were two of his better games.  Despite the up-and-down nature of the Bills for the last several weeks, experts and fans around the country have begun to see that Allen has what it takes.   He showed it all again on Sunday.

With Allen, there seems to be very little confusion in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage, at least no confusion that Allen doesn’t recognize and straighten out.  That’s a great first step for a rookie, but there’s plenty more to learn. 

Allen showed off another gutty run for a touchdown.  A plus.  Except that you want your QB to learn to find SOMEONE and throw it.  In fact, he may have had Foster running the back of end zone.  (Foster is a smart route runner and, like McKenzie, has punched his ticket to the top of the 2019 preseason depth charts.)

There were more than a handful of outstanding throws.   The non-interference throw to Zay and the interference throw on the next play from scrimmage.  The deep interference throw to Foster.  The touchdown to Foster.   Multiple throws over the middle.   Allen is getting nice protection on a lot of throws now, and when he stands in the pocket, he’s calm and comfortable, he knows where the play is going and he delivers the ball.  

Perfect?   Far from it.   The deep ball off Thompson’s hands was spectacular, but that pass is a lot easier for receivers to handle if it’s thrown with a little more arc and a little less velocity.   Similarly the next throw to Zay over the middle.   Yes, both should have been caught, and Josh’s receivers will learn, but the great quarterbacks also learn to make life easier for their receivers. 

To see how much Allen has to learn, all you had to do was watch the guy on the other side of the ball.  I’m not a Matt Stafford fan, but, man, did he make a lot of nice throws!  He played like a pro all day, and he was a botched extra point and a field goal miss away from the win.  Still, I’ll take my guy.  Allen is going places, and I’m ready. 

Meaningless or not, it sure feels good to wake up Monday morning knowing the Bills won and the Jets, the Dolphins AND the Patriots lost.   Even better, it’s great knowing the Bills have a future.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One complaint I do have on yesterday's game is not having Allen throw enough.  We were down our top 2 RB's and then Murphy also goes down....then Ford goes down for a minute.

We're out of the playoffs and have back up RB's in....let Allen throw it like 40+ times.  Get him as many reps as possible.  

Yeah, that was something I didn't comment on.  I have a different take than you.

I DID think it was odd that they're down to one running back and they come out in the second half and run Ford (or pass to him) about five consecutive plays.   I think there were two or three things going on there.  They finally took him out and put in DiMarco, and I thought "now they'll pass."  Nope, run DiMarco off right tackle.  

First, their game plan.  I think they thought they could run on the Lions, and they were sticking to their plan.  It worked.  

Second, McDermott is conservative.   As long as the game is close, he wants to run clock.   I don't like it, but that's what he does.   I hope that next season, with a comfortable QB entrenched in the starting role, with an OC who's now got his feet under him, McDermott will begin to open things up.   Allen's too big a weapon to not to let him throw more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nice write-up.

Agree about Lorax, the dude was a beast yesterday. I don't care how old he is, he can play for my team any day while he's still got a little something in the tank.

I was generally fine with Allen's game yesterday, like you said it was a rookie performance. But I like what I see and I like his mentality. I love a couple of the little things, like how he looks to take advantage of the free plays when he draws a defender Offside by going deep, reminds me of Aaron Rodgers if you've ever seen how opportunistic he is on those. He also understands giving his receivers a chance to make a play downfield and that you can get a PI call even if they don't. The possibility of a PI is a weapon and he gets that.

What I saw from the other team reiterates how important it is to have a big-time playmaking WR. A guy like Golladay makes a big difference and almost won the game for them. We gotta get Josh one of those! 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, that was something I didn't comment on.  I have a different take than you.

I DID think it was odd that they're down to one running back and they come out in the second half and run Ford (or pass to him) about five consecutive plays.   I think there were two or three things going on there.  They finally took him out and put in DiMarco, and I thought "now they'll pass."  Nope, run DiMarco off right tackle.  

First, their game plan.  I think they thought they could run on the Lions, and they were sticking to their plan.  It worked.  

Second, McDermott is conservative.   As long as the game is close, he wants to run clock.   I don't like it, but that's what he does.   I hope that next season, with a comfortable QB entrenched in the starting role, with an OC who's now got his feet under him, McDermott will begin to open things up.   Allen's too big a weapon to not to let him throw more. 

That's what I'm hoping for too.  

Not only comfortable with Josh but trust in Josh.  Allen still likes to play hero ball and has lead to some mistakes.  I think once Allen is smarter with the football on the run....McDermott hopefully opens this thing up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

As fans, we all WANT to see Allen sling it 50 times a game, but it's probably wise long term to keep it relatively simple. He's getting invaluable experience and the last thing we need is to rattle his confidence or get him killed behind the OL.

I agree, but you can't deny it's much more exciting to see him drop back to pass than to hand it off.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree, but you can't deny it's much more exciting to see him drop back to pass than to hand it off.  

Absolutely. There were many times during the game where I was hoping and imploring(as if that makes a difference) them to let him sling it.

I just don't know that the instant gratification would be worth the long term risk. He was considered a guy who needed time coming in and many feel it would have been better to let him sit. In a way, this is a perfect situation. He gets to face real bullets with a simplified game plan. Excellent analysis by the way.

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One complaint I do have on yesterday's game is not having Allen throw enough.  We were down our top 2 RB's and then Murphy also goes down....then Ford goes down for a minute.

We're out of the playoffs and have back up RB's in....let Allen throw it like 40+ times.  Get him as many reps as possible.  

emma stone yes GIF

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The deep ball off Thompson’s hands was spectacular, but that pass is a lot easier for receivers to handle if it’s thrown with a little more arc and a little less velocity.   Similarly the next throw to Zay over the middle.   Yes, both should have been caught, and Josh’s receivers will learn, but the great quarterbacks also learn to make life easier for their receivers. 

This is true, but at the same time, the great receivers make life easier for their QBs. I saw Stafford make some throws that were virtually identical to the ones you cited, but his receivers made great catches while ours didn't.

There's a lot of room for improvement in every element of our passing game. In order, I'd say the need for improvement goes like this:

1. Receivers

2. O-line

3. Allen

The fact that Allen is last on that list doesn't mean he's nearly perfect; it's really more of a testament to how bad the receiving corps and the O-line are right now.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

First, good job taking time to do the write up, always good read.

However...I have to disagree with you here on this comment, and strongly disagree actually.  I am still baffled how people think McD is conservative, its just factually inaccurate.  Fans are really struggling to separate what a coach is forced to do as a result of personnel, and what he wants to do.  Also, people still haven't gotten over the multiple weeks of NP and DA where the offense was atrocious because Allen wasnt out there and he's our entire offense right now.  Thats not McD being conservative, thats the offensive personnel sucks around the QB, so add a sucky QB into it and poof, the worst offense ever.  

Every week McD proves he is not conservative and yet this narrative persists.  Take just this game for instance.  No way he calls that play where Allen through a deep late pass to Croom on first down with just a few minutes left in the game and a 1 point lead.  Conservative coach 100% runs on both first and 2nd down to keep the clock moving and then only passes on 3rd down to try and get the first (unless its like 3rd and 1 or something).  Instead, he doesn't take the conservative approach and lets our Young QB take a shot downfield against the 11th ranked pass defense in the NFL.  He wanted to WIN the game, he played to win, where a conservative coach with a strong defense like the Bills would play not to lose.  Chew up clock, let the D make a play if the run game attempts dont get us the first down(s) we need to run clock to zero.  

Bills are amongst the leaders, and I think the top team, in the NFL in deep passes.  Allens first pass in the NFL he said throw a bomb.  I mean, this guy loves his toy in Allen and keeps trying to use it as much as possible despite a bad OL and weak WRs.  4th and 1, he went for the QB sneak.  Juaron (who gets frequently mentioned around here by the McD detractors who want to falsely paint a similarity) would NEVER had gone for it on 4th and 1 there as he always punted in that situation.  Honestly without even really thinking, I can cite dozens of examples where McD showed he isn't conservative. 

McD and the staff put game plans in place to beat the other team each week.  And that game plan is both rooted in the strength and weaknesses of the opponent, but also our selves and where they think they can get an edge.  I mean if not for a drop by Clay and ST blunder we would be 7-2 with Allen as a starter this year.  

McD is not conservative.  McD seems to be do very well with working with what he has and finding ways to get into position to have a shot to win games.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First, good job taking time to do the write up, always good read.

However...I have to disagree with you here on this comment, and strongly disagree actually.  I am still baffled how people think McD is conservative, its just factually inaccurate.  Fans are really struggling to separate what a coach is forced to do as a result of personnel, and what he wants to do.  Also, people still haven't gotten over the multiple weeks of NP and DA where the offense was atrocious because Allen wasnt out there and he's our entire offense right now.  Thats not McD being conservative, thats the offensive personnel sucks around the QB, so add a sucky QB into it and poof, the worst offense ever.  

Every week McD proves he is not conservative and yet this narrative persists.  Take just this game for instance.  No way he calls that play where Allen through a deep late pass to Croom on first down with just a few minutes left in the game and a 1 point lead.  Conservative coach 100% runs on both first and 2nd down to keep the clock moving and then only passes on 3rd down to try and get the first (unless its like 3rd and 1 or something).  Instead, he doesn't take the conservative approach and lets our Young QB take a shot downfield against the 11th ranked pass defense in the NFL.  He wanted to WIN the game, he played to win, where a conservative coach with a strong defense like the Bills would play not to lose.  Chew up clock, let the D make a play if the run game attempts dont get us the first down(s) we need to run clock to zero.  

Bills are amongst the leaders, and I think the top team, in the NFL in deep passes.  Allens first pass in the NFL he said throw a bomb.  I mean, this guy loves his toy in Allen and keeps trying to use it as much as possible despite a bad OL and weak WRs.  4th and 1, he went for the QB sneak.  Juaron (who gets frequently mentioned around here by the McD detractors who want to falsely paint a similarity) would NEVER had gone for it on 4th and 1 there as he always punted in that situation.  Honestly I keep dozens of paragraphs showing lots of examples that illustrate McD isn't conservative.

McD and the staff put game plans in place to beat the other team.  The weak part of the pretty good Lions D is the run defense.  They have a top DB and a strong pass defense.  You can't hold it against coaches when teams scheme to win games based on the gameplay to beat said team.  For years, Pats could be a passing team then one week just run all over you if they felt thats what would give them the edge. 

McD is not conservative.

Thanks.  You make a really good point.  I'm not sure either you nor I know whether he's a conservative coach or he's a smart coach being conservative now because that gives his team the best chance to win. I've said often the past few weeks that I hope and expect he'll open up more next season, when he should have stronger offense. 

One of the reasons I say he's conservative (or at least playing the season conservatively) is  that it seems very clear to me that he doesn't seem to care much if his team scores in the first half, so long as he keeps the game close.   He doesn't take risks in the first half.  I call that conservative.  I get it, and I don't particularly dislike it, but it isn't wide open football in the first half.  And, although I agree it's unfair to conclude he's Jauron all over again, Jauron's philosophy very definitely was stay close until the end, which meant play good defense and don't take chances on offense.  Until McDermott's team starts regularly putting up 21-point first halves, I think that at least that part of his coaching style can be called conservative.  

Also, EVERY coach whose team is out of the playoff hunt is going for it on fourth down now, so I wasn't surprised when he did it yesterday.   It didn't take any courage to take that shot.  

Plus, his certainly looks like a bend-don't-break defense, which is a conservative approach.   Now, that too may change as his talent improves and his guys know his system.   

Still, I think what you say is probably true.  Next year we'll know, because next year he should have a roster with players he wants playing the way he wants to play.   Then we'll know better.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think next season will be different in the sense that Allen and his receivers will be more in sync. Which is exciting to ponder! Allen held his poise even with the rb situation. The NFL game isn’t too big for him and it’s impressive that without being able to take large chunks of yardage with his legs he still stood tall and delivered with his arm! It doesn’t seem to matter who goes down JA just continues to make things happen. He is the leader of the offense now!

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  You make a really good point.  I'm not sure either you nor I know whether he's a conservative coach or he's a smart coach being conservative now because that gives his team the best chance to win. I've said often the past few weeks that I hope and expect he'll open up more next season, when he should have stronger offense. 

One of the reasons I say he's conservative (or at least playing the season conservatively) is  that it seems very clear to me that he doesn't seem to care much if his team scores in the first half, so long as he keeps the game close.   He doesn't take risks in the first half.  I call that conservative.  I get it, and I don't particularly dislike it, but it isn't wide open football in the first half.  And, although I agree it's unfair to conclude he's Jauron all over again, Jauron's philosophy very definitely was stay close until the end, which meant play good defense and don't take chances on offense.  Until McDermott's team starts regularly putting up 21-point first halves, I think that at least that part of his coaching style can be called conservative.  

Also, EVERY coach whose team is out of the playoff hunt is going for it on fourth down now, so I wasn't surprised when he did it yesterday.   It didn't take any courage to take that shot.  

Plus, his certainly looks like a bend-don't-break defense, which is a conservative approach.   Now, that too may change as his talent improves and his guys know his system.   

Still, I think what you say is probably true.  Next year we'll know, because next year he should have a roster with players he wants playing the way he wants to play.   Then we'll know better.  

Not to sound like I am picking on you here, but I would also disagree a lot with this sentiment he doesn't try and score in the first half.  I dont know what gives you that impression.  I think sometimes people think if we aren't chucking it deep he is being conservative despite leading the league (I believe, or at least near the top) in deep shots.  We are also first in average of how far we throw per pass attempt which is somewhere around 10 ypa if I am not mistaken.  We aren't taking all those in the 2nd half only.  

Take this game for instance, we actually did a lot of what we all have wanted to see more of.  Taking shorter underneath easier throws, and Josh executed well and we were moving the ball.  A couple drives stalled due to penalties and drops though.  But ultimately we were successfully moving the ball this way where guys like Zay were struggling mightily in their matchups.  This allowed guys like Foster and McKenzie to get more opportunities.  Also the Lions have a strong pass defense, so the weaker part was the run defense.  And because of Allens threat as a runner, Lions were only rushing 4, sometimes 3 and trying to spy hard on Allen which gave our run game some opportunities they wanted to exploit. And we had some success, but injuries mounted.  

So again I just dont see a conservative coach.  I see a guy who loves to attack the defense, but also tries to gameplan to attack said defense.  But our ability to execute is also dependent on the talent on the field, and outside Allen there is very little to work with.  I mean the only real bright spot has been Foster outside of Allen.  

All good, respect your opinion, I just dont see this conservative nature of McD and see a guy who takes risks, is aggressive, and plays the hands he is dealt.  And is doing pretty good considering what he has had to work with so far.  NP and DA were so bad that NO coach could look good with them and this personnel around them.  But this Allen led team plays tough and can win on any given Sunday against anyone.  Like I said, if not for Clay drop and then the ST blunder the week after, Allen and McD together would be 7-2 this year when Allen starts.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Good write up as usual Shaw, but this one thing I'm not too sure about:

"Both teams were out of the playoff picture" I was under the impression that the Lions were still in the running for a wild card spot before the game yesterday.  They certainly are eliminated now for sure. Or did I hear something wrong on the gameday shows?

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not to sound like I am picking on you here, but I would also disagree a lot with this sentiment he doesn't try and score in the first half.  I dont know what gives you that impression.  I think sometimes people think if we aren't chucking it deep he is being conservative despite leading the league (I believe, or at least near the top) in deep shots.  We are also first in average of how far we throw per pass attempt which is somewhere around 10 ypa if I am not mistaken.  We aren't taking all those in the 2nd half only.  

Take this game for instance, we actually did a lot of what we all have wanted to see more of.  Taking shorter underneath easier throws, and Josh executed well and we were moving the ball.  A couple drives stalled due to penalties and drops though.  But ultimately we were successfully moving the ball this way where guys like Zay were struggling mightily in their matchups.  This allowed guys like Foster and McKenzie to get more opportunities.  Also the Lions have a strong pass defense, so the weaker part was the run defense.  And because of Allens threat as a runner, Lions were only rushing 4, sometimes 3 and trying to spy hard on Allen which gave our run game some opportunities they wanted to exploit. And we had some success, but injuries mounted.  

So again I just dont see a conservative coach.  I see a guy who loves to attack the defense, but also tries to gameplan to attack said defense.  But our ability to execute is also dependent on the talent on the field, and outside Allen there is very little to work with.  I mean the only real bright spot has been Foster outside of Allen.  

All good, respect your opinion, I just dont see this conservative nature of McD and see a guy who takes risks, is aggressive, and plays the hands he is dealt.  And is doing pretty good considering what he has had to work with so far.  NP and DA were so bad that NO coach could look good with them and this personnel around them.  But this Allen led team plays tough and can win on any given Sunday against anyone.  Like I said, if not for Clay drop and then the ST blunder the week after, Allen and McD together would be 7-2 this year when Allen starts.  

But he claps too much and therefore must be fired before he can clap again.

• Haha (+1) 1