What’s your definition of an alcoholic?

On 12/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Captain Buzzkill here:

https://www.peele.net/lib/sociocul.html

"When one sees a film like Moonstruck, the benign and universal nature of drinking in New York Italian culture is palpable on the screen. If one can't detect the difference between drinking in this setting, or at Jewish or Chinese weddings, or in Greek taverns, and that in Irish working-class bars, or in Portuguese bars in the worn-out industrial towns of New England, or in run-down shacks where Indians and Eskimos gather to get drunk, or in Southern bars where men down shots and beers--and furthermore, if one can't connect these different drinking settings, styles, and cultures with the repeatedly measured differences in alcoholism rates among these same groups, then I can only think one is blind to the realities of alcoholism."

~Peele, S., Diseasing of America, Lexington Books, Lexington, MA, 1989, pp. 72-73.

I don't give a ***** what some soccer player has to say.

• Haha (+1) 1

On December 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Captain Buzzkill here:

https://www.peele.net/lib/sociocul.html

"When one sees a film like Moonstruck, the benign and universal nature of drinking in New York Italian culture is palpable on the screen. If one can't detect the difference between drinking in this setting, or at Jewish or Chinese weddings, or in Greek taverns, and that in Irish working-class bars, or in Portuguese bars in the worn-out industrial towns of New England, or in run-down shacks where Indians and Eskimos gather to get drunk, or in Southern bars where men down shots and beers--and furthermore, if one can't connect these different drinking settings, styles, and cultures with the repeatedly measured differences in alcoholism rates among these same groups, then I can only think one is blind to the realities of alcoholism."

~Peele, S., Diseasing of America, Lexington Books, Lexington, MA, 1989, pp. 72-73.

If you're watching Moonstruck for any reason, you've got a few things to address before booze.

If you're using it as source material you should drink more.

On December 15, 2018 at 12:50 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

A functioning alcky is still an alcky.  I often wonder if alcohol hits some people harder? I have a friend. We go out and have a few drinks. I might feel a buzz while he becomes almost catatonic. I've had servers cut us off seeing him that way. To me he only had a few beers. Unless he's got a fifth stashed away and he's slugging it down when I'm not looking I don't understand how he gets so bad.

I barely ever drink but when I do I feel it real quick...half a beer.  Two beers and no way would I get behind a wheel for hours.  Three and I'm not catatonic, but bombed.  I know resistance is built, but I do think it hits people differently.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, DC Tom said:

Denial is a symptom.  The moment you deny being an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic.

Like me.  I'm not an alcoholic.  So I must be.  Even though I don't drink.  But I deny it, so I have a problem.  Or so I've been told...  :wacko:

Yossarian : Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka : You got it, that's Catch-22.

22 minutes ago, ALF said:

Yossarian : Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka : You got it, that's Catch-22.

The catch 22 is that this trivial crap made a lot of money and he was bitterly trapped in it the rest of his life

13 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I don't drink to have a good time. Indrinknto enhance a good time. 

So it's like MSG or "Accent."

If you put it on sh*t it will taste like "better sh*t?"  That's what usually happens with alcohol and why alcohol fueled events CAN spiral out of control.

If you are having a good time and need to make it better... Something is wrong.

The moment you don’t feel quite right and only alcohol is the only thing that makes you feel normal, you’re an alcoholic.  

If you can make the choice to stop drinking for a week, actually do it from time to time, and don’t feel any adverse affects, you’re not an alcoholic.  Saying you could, but don’t actually do it, doesn’t count.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So it's like MSG or "Accent."

If you put it on sh*t it will taste like "better sh*t?"  That's what usually happens with alcohol and why alcohol fueled events CAN spiral out of control.

If you are having a good time and need to make it better... Something is wrong.

I think it's more like some garlic butter on a steak.

• Haha (+1) 1

The main reason why alcohol is provided at party's, both home and work settings...is because it helps with having a better time.

I won't leave a party if there isn't alcohol but it's a better party with it there.

It's the same with food.  Food makes it better.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The main reason why alcohol is provided at party's, both home and work settings...is because it helps with having a better time.

I won't leave a party if there isn't alcohol but it's a better party with it there.

It's the same with food.  Food makes it better.

like George Costanza insisting a TV has to be on when he tries to talk to his parents