An interesting document on the Niagara River

Greybeard

Very interesting.  Not a big expert but I enjoy reading about how the region came to be in terms of geology and natural forces.  Rivers flowing northward are uncommon in the US but the region has 3 with the Niagara, Genesee, and the less direct Seneca.  All three empty into Lake Ontario.  And the lake plain roughly from Syracuse to Buffalo promoted the idea of the Erie Canal which gave the region prominence in the early days of the US.  The Ontario lake plain was considered the breadbasket of the nation before the Midwest opened to settlement in the couple decades prior to the Civil War.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Very interesting.  Not a big expert but I enjoy reading about how the region came to be in terms of geology and natural forces.  Rivers flowing northward are uncommon in the US but the region has 3 with the Niagara, Genesee, and the less direct Seneca.  All three empty into Lake Ontario.  And the lake plain roughly from Syracuse to Buffalo promoted the idea of the Erie Canal which gave the region prominence in the early days of the US.  The Ontario lake plain was considered the breadbasket of the nation before the Midwest opened to settlement in the couple decades prior to the Civil War.

I should note that my wife's mother's family was one of the earliest settlers west of the Genesee River.  I knew a couple of people from college with similar histories and sometimes wished my family had similar story to tell.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I should note that my wife's mother's family was one of the earliest settlers west of the Genesee River.  I knew a couple of people from college with similar histories and sometimes wished my family had similar story to tell.

Are you talking English settlers or early French Settlers?

because the French were west of the Genesee since the 1600s... they had fur traders and settlements all over New France 

Fort Niagara was built in the 1600s...  but the English colonies didn’t go west of the genesee in mass for a while after...

Natives caused too much problems for them 

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Are you talking English settlers or early French Settlers?

because the French were west of the Genesee since the 1600s... they had fur traders and settlements all over New France 

Fort Niagara was built in the 1600s...  but the English colonies didn’t go west of the genesee in mass for a while after...

Natives caused too much problems for them 

English.  I saw a headstone in a cemetery west of Rochester that has a number of her relatives in it.  Death date around 1826 on it.  Don't remember the surname on that one nor recall just when they did cross the Genesee River.  I remember stories of crossing the river in back in those days as sometimes the water level would come up quickly down around the Henrietta-Scottsville area.  Either due to rain further south or spring melt depending on the time of year.  They were leary to cross in March.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

English.  I saw a headstone in a cemetery west of Rochester that has a number of her relatives in it.  Death date around 1826 on one.  Don't remember the surname on that one nor recall just when they did cross the Genesee River.  I remember stories of crossing the river in back in those days as sometimes the water level would come up quickly down around the Henrietta-Scottsville area.  Either due to rain further south or spring melt depending on the time of year.  They were leary to cross in March.

Awesome story 

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Great-Lakes-Information/Outflows/Discharge-Measurements/Niagara-River/

I find the info in here interesting.   It also covers the history of modifications to the river.

@ExiledInIllinois ALERT!!!!!!

The beast will soon be unleashed.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Great-Lakes-Information/Outflows/Discharge-Measurements/Niagara-River/

I find the info in here interesting.   It also covers the history of modifications to the river.

Dig a little deeper.  It gets interesting.  Why you will never see the elevations at Detroit (straits) "controlled."  The Niagara Diversion is the power cornerstone of The Lakes.

I highly... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, highly recommend this book... If You want to be enlightened:

Great Lakes Water Wars

http://greatlakeswaterwars.com

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I couldn't get here quick enough..........

Well... You've come to the right place, like the Crippled One said.

Bacically, think of the Great Lakes as a set of "rivers" that flow to the sea.  Lakes of flowing glacial melt water.  Right now, I won't get into the geology and behind what makes it work and all the other geological nuances. Technically... The Niagara River isn't a river it's a "spillway" or strait between two bodies of water.  But let's call it a river, heck even the straits @ Detroit (which Detroit translated to English from French means: Strait)... The Sinclair River can be viewed the same way.

Within that flowing system you have a series of diversions. This is all part of the enhanced, modified, impoved (since 1959) "Great Lakes Seaway."

To start simply.  The three Middle Lakes elevations aren't controlled by humans.  That's Lake Michigan/Huron (same elevation, basically same lake) and 5 feet lower, Lake Erie.

Water leaves (in the classic sense) the Lakes in only two places.  The St.Lawrence River and @ the Chicago Diversion or Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs). Everywhere else, water enters the Great Lakes basin.

Interesting fact, since the War.  25% MORE WATER ENTERS the Great Lakes (@ Lake Superior, ~25' higher than Lake Michigan/Huron) than what the Chicago Diversion takes out and sends to the Gulf of Mexico. The Chicago Diversion diverts daily just under what spills over The Falls daily. This diversion INTO Lake Superior, in two places, is FROM the Arctic basin @ Long Lac & Ogoki.

Gotta get Great Lakes Water Wars to read Chapter 6.  The preview is a 404 now:

http://greatlakeswaterwars.com/chapter6.htm

Not sure if they mentioned this in the Corps, LRE (Great Lakes & Rivers Division, Detroit District) that the OP, Greybeard posted.  Will go back and check.  Do they want to keep this hushed?  

http://nipigonmuseumtheblog.blogspot.com/2017/02/a-diverting-experience-ogoki.html?m=1

More to follow from The Beast... Gotta run...

• Like (+1) 1

Tied into what I mentioned above.

From the LRE piece OP posted.  This (1941) coincided with adding more water to Lake Superior starting during WWII. Power generating capabiliy at those facilities and on down the line from The Soo to Niagara.  The Falls can be kept @ optimal aesthetics during the day for tourists:

"Before 1941, the total allowable diversion of water from the Niagara River for power purposes was 56,000 cfs. During 1941, this limit was increased to 82,500 cfs. This increase in diversion highlighted the need for such a weir. Construction of this weir took place between 1942 and 1947. The weir raised the level of the Chippawa-Grass Island Pool, which had been lowered by the power diversions, and improved the flow over the American Falls and in the vicinity of the Three Sisters Islands. However, the weir caused a small decrease in the flow over the Horseshore Falls, thus making the conditions at the flanks of the Horseshoe somewhat less satisfactory."

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

English.  I saw a headstone in a cemetery west of Rochester that has a number of her relatives in it.  Death date around 1826 on one.  Don't remember the surname on that one nor recall just when they did cross the Genesee River.  I remember stories of crossing the river in back in those days as sometimes the water level would come up quickly down around the Henrietta-Scottsville area.  Either due to rain further south or spring melt depending on the time of year.  They were leary to cross in March.

Per my research, the river is too high to ford in March.  You can caulk the wagon but you stand about a 60% chance of capsizing and losing half your clothes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Greybeard said:

The river leaves Lake Erie at Buffalo, New York. It immediately narrows to a width of 1,500 feet and depth of 17 feet as it reaches a rock ledge, which naturally controls its outflow. This constricted channel is spanned by the Peace Bridge, with three piers which further restrict the channel.

I cannot find a picture online from on top of the Peace Bridge looking out onto Lake Erie (or down the river, for that matter).  I always have to look, even if I'm driving, because it's such a great view............I have no idea why nobody seems to have taken pictures from up there. 

Or if anybody has seen pics, please post. 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dig a little deeper.  It gets interesting.  Why you will never see the elevations at Detroit (straits) "controlled."  The Niagara Diversion is the power cornerstone of The Lakes.

I highly... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, highly recommend this book... If You want to be enlightened:

Great Lakes Water Wars

http://greatlakeswaterwars.com

Well... You've come to the right place, like the Crippled One said.

This was a good podcast last month.  It was with the author of another Great Lakes book:

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2018/11/09/death-and-life-great-lakes-dan-egan

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beginning in 1918, water was diverted from the Niagara River through the New York State Barge Canal, mainly for navigation purposes. This water, between 700 and 1,000 cfs, is diverted from the river at Tonawanda, New York and returned to Lake Ontario via the Oswego and Genesee Rivers and the Oak Orchard and Eighteen Mile Creeks, in New York State.

Hard to believe the water going into the canal at the Tonawanda's is coming out in the above rivers.   It did not occur to me that the water was flowing into the Canal.  I live  200 feet from the Oswego River and it is a long way from the Tonawanda canal entrance.    I'm also impressed with some of the elevation drops in the river.  50+ ft in a couple of places.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

The river leaves Lake Erie at Buffalo, New York. It immediately narrows to a width of 1,500 feet and depth of 17 feet as it reaches a rock ledge, which naturally controls its outflow. This constricted channel is spanned by the Peace Bridge, with three piers which further restrict the channel.

I cannot find a picture online from on top of the Peace Bridge looking out onto Lake Erie (or down the river, for that matter).  I always have to look, even if I'm driving, because it's such a great view............I have no idea why nobody seems to have taken pictures from up there. 

This was a good podcast last month.  It was with the author of another Great Lakes book:

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2018/11/09/death-and-life-great-lakes-dan-egan

I will simplify.  Keep it in layman's terms... But more geology with regard to The Niagara Spillway.

That "rock ledge" is the Onondaga Escarpment/formation.  It's what you see along Main Street and as you head/drive  into Buffalo along The 33, Kensington Expressway:

400px-The_Onondaga_Formation.png

You can see how it impounds Lake Erie @ its mouth.

The next drop is the doosy.  The Niagara Escarpment:

silurian_outcrops_and_niagara_escarpment

220px-Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/niagara.html

You can see how that formation impounds the Middle Lakes.

Final formation is in the Boston Hills of WNY. Impounds the American shore of L.Erie.  The Portage Escarpment:

220px-Portage_escarpment.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bbb said:

Why are you quoting me with that info?  All I asked for are pictures from the Peace Bridge! 

Sorry... Just off on tangent.  Intetesting... That "rock ledge" from your post is part of massive formation.

Just adding info to the thread... If people find it interesting, want to know.

Again sorry... Hope somebody can add pics.  I probably shouldn't have quoted you.

Best I can find:

River to North, from Lake...

Buffalo-New-York-NY-postcard-Peace-Bridg

Looking SouthWest towards Lake:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

• Like (+1) 1

The Niagara is a beautiful river.  Lived in the Pacific NW of 20 years, and they have a whole lot of beautiful water views too.  Now we're in Richmond VA., and the James River is one moving mud hole.  There's so much silt from the Blue Ridge area, that I'm wondering how there are still any mountains left, W of us?  People here still pay big $$ for a "water view," but a view of what?

The nuns told us that there never were any American Bison E of the Mississippi but that the French named our area Beau Fleuve (beautiful river)  that eventually ended up as being called Buffalo.  Now we see the Beau Fleuve Music and Arts festival, so maybe they were right?

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well THANK YOU! I’ve actually been searching for something to add purpose to my life. I realize I will not live forever, and at some point I will need to face my Creator and explain what I did with my life. Now I know THAT will not be it, so one thing is crossed off. It’s a start....

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The Niagara is a beautiful river.  Lived in the Pacific NW of 20 years, and they have a whole lot of beautiful water views too.  Now we're in Richmond VA., and the James River is one moving mud hole.  There's so much silt from the Blue Ridge area, that I'm wondering how there are still any mountains left, W of us?  People here still pay big $$ for a "water view," but a view of what?

The nuns told us that there never were any American Bison E of the Mississippi but that the French named our area Beau Fleuve (beautiful river)  that eventually ended up as being called Buffalo.  Now we see the Beau Fleuve Music and Arts festival, so maybe they were right?

Never trust the Nuns... LoL...

American bison were very much a part of WNY:

440px-Bison_original_range_map.svg.png

Original distribution of plains bison and wood bison in North America. Holocene bison (Bison occidentalis) is an earlier form at the origin of plains bison and wood bison.

Holocene bison
  Wood bison
  Plains bison

[SORRY: Key colors didn't come through.  From, North to South.  Holocene, Wood, Plains.]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_bison_belt

Sources:

• Danz, Harold P. Of Bison and Man. Niwot: University Press of Colorado, 1997.
  • Egan, Timothy. The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dustbowl. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2006.
  • Fagan, Brian. 2005. Ancient North America.Thames & Hudson, Ltd.: London
  • Isenberg, Andrew C. The Destruction of the Bison: An Environmental History, 1750-1920. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
  • Knapp, Alan K., John M. Blair, John M. Briggs, Scott L. Collins, David C. Hartnett, Loretta C. Johnson, and E. Gene Towne. "The Keystone Role of Bison in North American Tallgrass Prairie." Bioscience Vol. 49, No. 1 (January 1999): 39-50.
  • Larson, Floyd. "The Role of the Bison in Maintaining the Short Grass Plains." EcologyVol. 21, No. 2 (April 1940): 113-121.
  • Smith, Douglas W. "Wolf-Bison Interactions in Yellowstone National Park." Journal of Mammalogy Vol. 81, No. 4 (November 2000): 1128-1135.
  • West, Eliot. The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
15 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Nice video.  But Kentucky Blue Fin, AKA: Asian Carp won't do well in the fast flowing Niagara.  They simply won't be able to spawn there. They need +60 miles of unobstructed river with adequate backwater.  Something the Niagara simply doesn't possess.

But... Even I can appreaciate the nice diversion, tangent you are on.

Still butt hurt.  There is a special place for the likes of guys like you... And your alter egos. ?

25 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I was going to point out that the Mighty Niagara is not a river, it’s a strait - but Exiled beat me to it (as I would expect).

Does anyone remember when, in 1969, the Army Corps of Engineers “turned off” Niagara Falls?

Only the American Falls was dewatered.  Shut off:

Amfallsdewatered1.jpg

niagarafallsdry_3.jpg

I heard rumor that we may someday do it again.  The river gets coffer dammed off.  And water goes to Horseshoe and through the dam culverts on the American and Canadian side to handle the obstructed flow @ the American Side.

In 1969... The talus (debris) at base of Falls was cleaned up (not totally removed) to keep the aesthetic beauty of The Falls.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is a very interesting and informative thread! Thank you to all who have contributed. I've really enjoyed the reading and will watch the videos at some point. As someone who lives in the City of Tonawanda not far from the river (I now want to call it a strait) I always love reading about the history and how things shaped the area I live in.

This was the placement of the coffer dam in 1969 to "shut off" the American Falls:

308F0E4700000578-0-image-a-9_14537338450

Horseshoe Falls, Canadian side to the far left.  The power culverts (to divert water for power generation) are on the far right, foreground, just out of pictures.  That's where the normal dam works, ie: intakes are.  On the American side, culverts are underground under the city of Niagara Falls.  The Canadian side utilizes above ground races, culverts to their storage reservoirs.

4 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Yes, I know that the Corps built coffer dams and diverted the water to the Canadian Falls.

Still, pretty f’ing amazing what you guys did!

Just Mansplaining to add some information to the thread for others that may not have realized the concepts involved.

It is pretty amazing!!!

I think the member @Wacka was there as a child to see the actual dewatering.

7 minutes ago, SomeDudeAtHome said:

This is a very interesting and informative thread! Thank you to all who have contributed. I've really enjoyed the reading and will watch the videos at some point. As someone who lives in the City of Tonawanda not far from the river (I now want to call it a strait) I always love reading about the history and how things shaped the area I live in.

Still not with out scares and shame.

IE:  "Love Canal" was supposed to be built as an All-American Canal to handle shipping and rival the Welland Canal around the dam/spillway structure (The Falls).  From Niagara Falls to Lake Ontario.  You know what happened there!  After Love's failed venture in late 1800s, early 1900s... It became the a nightmare as we all know.

There was a push in the 1950s to build an All-American Canal to compete with Welland.  Studies were done then quickly dropped!  Did they know what laid in the hole at the Love site! Of course they did.  The idea for an All-American Canal would quickly die during the 1960s!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buffalo/comments/3nw3fb/i_see_your_1960s_highway_plans_and_raise_you_the/

This was to go from the Upper River just above Tonawanda to the shores of Lake Ontario, rivaling the Welland.  Buffalo would have never been turned into "Radiator Springs" with the building of the St.Lawrence Seaway.

Yet... The timebomb was sitting there all the while @ the Love Canal site and wouldn't be publicly exposed for another 15+ years!!! 

Food for thought...

Edit:  Fun fact.  The Welland Diversion, Ie: The Welland Canal... With it's 8 locks around The Falls from Port Colborne (Lake Erie) to Port Weller (Lake Ontario)... Is another such water diversion around falls.

If the Welland were to close, the water elevation in Lake Erie would raise 3".  Lake Huron raise 2" and Lake Michigan raise 1" if my memory serves me correct.

Here is a Canadian study of diversions around the whole Great Lakes:

Great Lakes Diversions and Other Removals:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.4296/cwrj2502125

5 hours ago, bbb said:

I have walked across the Peace Bridge and two in Niagara Falls but no pictures unfortunately.  And my feet are not in shape anymore to make such a walk.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I was going to point out that the Mighty Niagara is not a river, it’s a strait - but Exiled beat me to it (as I would expect).

Does anyone remember when, in 1969, the Army Corps of Engineers “turned off” Niagara Falls?

Yes we drove down and saw it.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

River to North, from Lake...

Buffalo-New-York-NY-postcard-Peace-Bridg

Looking SouthWest towards Lake:

maxresdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  There are a million pictures of the Peace Bridge, and I usually have one up as my screensaver.  Since they started with the lights, it looks great at night.

But, hasn't anybody looked out of their windows going over the PB?  It's such an amazing view of the whole lake turning into the river.  You can see about a quarter of it's beauty in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.  Imagine the view from the middle of the PB

Now I watched the video in the third "picture" and it's like the photographer isn't allowed to show what I'm talking about.  How stupid. 

Just now, bbb said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  There are a million pictures of the Peace Bridge, and I usually have one up as my screensaver.  Since they started with the lights, it looks great at night.

But, hasn't anybody looked out of their windows going over the PB?  It's such an amazing view of the whole lake turning into the river.  You can see about a quarter of it's beauty in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.  Imagine the view from the middle of the PB

You would probably have to do a foot border crossing with camera.  Maybe get permission so as not to look suspicious.

Another avenue... Would be to mount the GoPro to dash, windshield.  Then grab the stills from the video.

My Toyota Tacoma actually came with GoPro mount up on windhield. But... Still a nice walk, with say a wide angle... 18mm, 28mm lens and DSLR would work magic!

I guess... You could tell them @ Customs what You plan to do.  Stand right in "No-Man's Land" in middle of bridge.  Would they allow you to set up tripod on walkway.

Better yet.  Just walk out on Bird Island Pier.  Set up under Peace Bridge.  I have a few nice pics from last year... But not the wide angle You are looking for... Just My Family and I under Bridge.  That may be too low a POV???

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You would probably have to do a foot border crossing with camera.  Maybe get permission so as not to look suspicious.

Another avenue... Would be to mount the GoPro to dash, windshield.  Then grab the stills from the video.

My Toyota Tacoma actually came with GoPro mount up on windhield. But... Still a nice walk, with say a wide angle... 18mm, 28mm lens and DSLR would work magic!

I guess... You could tell them @ Customs what You plan to do.  Stand right in "No-Man's Land" in middle of bridge.  Would they allow you to set up tripod on walkway.

Better yet.  Just walk out on Bird Island Pier.  Set up under Peace Bridge.  I have a few nice pics from last year... But not the wide angle You are looking for... Just My Family and I under Bridge.  That may be too low a POV???

I am NOT going to do any of this.  We've got all these photographers taking a million pictures of WNY, and nobody has done this.  It's insane.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bbb said:

I am NOT going to do any of this.  We've got all these photographers taking a million pictures of WNY, and nobody has done this.  It's insane.

I still gotta get Your picture of Rochester from the top of Chestnut Ridge Park toboggan chutes!!!

LoL.  I got pictures of Sears (Willis) Tower here from 40+ miles out and slightly above the tree line in a God Awful flat land.  LoL...

36 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I still gotta get Your picture of Rochester from the top of Chestnut Ridge Park toboggan chutes!!!

Yes, you do.  I thought of that the other day when I saw this picture in the Buffalo News.  I said I bet you're seeing NF, Ontario

Buffalo-and-Canada-aerial-1260x800.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bbb said:

Yes, you do.  I thought of that the other day when I saw this picture in the Buffalo News.  I said I bet you're seeing NF, Ontario

Buffalo-and-Canada-aerial-1260x800.jpg

Nope!  I seen NF... But its (Rochester) way over to the far right.  In your picture above, it off to far right.

Chestnut Ridge is quite an amazing vantage point for almost all of WNY looking north!

I have some photos.  I will see if I can dig them off the Cloud.  I got a new DSLR camera last year.  Next trip I am bringing it.  But I only have a 300mm lens with a 1.7x teleconverter... 

FWIW... Rochester is out there to the far right!!!

EDIT: I am gonna scour internet, have not done it in a long time looking for this (has to be crystal clear day) pic.

This is one of the better pics I could find.  Shows the top of the Bills Fieldhouse like you can touch it.  But... The pic isn't wide angle or panoramic enough.  What is missing is way to the east, wide right (pun intended...Ha Ha!)... Which there is not much there and awfully close to the trees on the sledding hill. Probably why it gets cut off and out!

I gotta get there on a clear day with my good camera!!!

buffalo-ny-from-chestnut-ridge-with-the-

NF is to far left of BFLo.  What I saw was super far right (east).

EDIT: I will buy You a beer if we can resolve this once and for all what I saw!!! LoL...