The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The dems have historically agreed to a security fence on the southern border. They shut down the government not because they had a problem with the fence but because they had a problem with giving Trump the fence. It had nothing to do with them being against the fence for security reasons but for political reasons. So basically the dem leadership sacrificed the safety of the American people for their own partisan reasons.

I hope it's more than a fence.  They have and I said earlier that they're not giving Trump the money because they don't want him to win on his main campaign promise.  I like the idea of a steel slated barrier. 

It just seems odd to me that Trump waited two years until he suddenly shut down the government over the wall instead of doing it on previous spending bills when Republicans had control of the house if it's such a great threat.  Even last September would've been a more opportune time.  He needed eight or nine Democratic Senate votes and they may have caved considering a lot of them were up for reelection in red states.  It's almost like he wanted to make this a hot button issue after the midterms for his reelection campaign in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I hope it's more than a fence.  They have and I said earlier that they're not giving Trump the money because they don't want him to win on his main campaign promise.  I like the idea of a steel slated barrier. 

It just seems odd to me that Trump waited two years until he suddenly shut down the government over the wall instead of doing it on previous spending bills when Republicans had control of the house if it's such a great threat.  Even last September would've been a more opportune time.  He needed eight or nine Democratic Senate votes and they may have caved considering a lot of them were up for reelection in red states.  It's almost like he wanted to make this a hot button issue after the midterms for his reelection campaign in 2020. 

Agreed. There was a much better time to raise this if the single intent was to actually build a wall.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

On the wall itself, why not incorporate solar panels and/or giant wind mills into the design where applicable. The barrier doesn't have to be just a wall, construct something that produces energy, self sufficient. Or something that helps transportation in some way. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

On the wall itself, why not incorporate solar panels and/or giant wind mills into the design where applicable. The barrier doesn't have to be just a wall, construct something that produces energy, self sufficient. Or something that helps transportation in some way. 

and sharks...with frickin laser beams

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Remember when he signed the omnibus bill about a year ago? He claimed he'd never sign one again that didn't have wall funding. He was convinced by Ryan & McConnell to sign it because he got the military spending he wanted, and that they could push through the border wall funding in 2018. When the dems won the House they put Pelosi in an awkward position. Many of the new reps pledged in their campaigns to not vote for her for Speaker and many of them were on the far left. She had to straddle the fence and make some deals to get the Speakership. When the R House voted for 5 billion for the wall in late December (by an impressive margin) Schumer had to kill it in the Senate to keep Pelosi's hopes alive for getting the post. So, all of this crap has had nothing to do with border security or the wall but everything to do with politics.

11 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

and sharks...with frickin laser beams

A water way filled with great whites that don't get fed much ...

...some mexican beef burritos/drug cartel on occasion...

...I like it toad...

Edited by Figster

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

The environmental activists would shout down the windmills because they might either kill or change the migration habits of the Central Americans. Seriously though no one is going to build solar or wind farms unless they are at the optimal locations for them.

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

A water way filled with great white sharks that don't get fed much ...

...I like it toad...

Piranha.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The environmental activists would shout down the windmills because they might either kill or change the migration habits of the Central Americans. Seriously though no one is going to build solar or wind farms unless they are at the optimal locations for them.

Piranha.

True that on optimal locations.

43 minutes ago, Figster said:

A high speed rail wall. The Dems would go for it in a heartbeat. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

In this thread I proposed a solar panel, electrified wall with the excess energy being sold to Mexico. 

I also proposed a moat. 

I also proposed a new Panama-style canal that we share with Mexico (though that one would be ambitious). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Remember when he signed the omnibus bill about a year ago? He claimed he'd never sign one again that didn't have wall funding. He was convinced by Ryan & McConnell to sign it because he got the military spending he wanted, and that they could push through the border wall funding in 2018. When the dems won the House they put Pelosi in an awkward position. Many of the new reps pledged in their campaigns to not vote for her for Speaker and many of them were on the far left. She had to straddle the fence and make some deals to get the Speakership. When the R House voted for 5 billion for the wall in late December (by an impressive margin) Schumer had to kill it in the Senate to keep Pelosi's hopes alive for getting the post. So, all of this crap has had nothing to do with border security or the wall but everything to do with politics.

I remember and I remember a lot of pissed off people on the right criticize him for not demanding border funding.  He also could've shut the government down last September when he signed another spending bill with no wall funding.  The Republicans wanted to make it a midterm issue so both sides are playing politics here.

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

In this thread I proposed a solar panel, electrified wall with the excess energy being sold to Mexico. 

I also proposed a moat. 

I also proposed a new Panama-style canal that we share with Mexico (though that one would be ambitious). 

Great minds think alike,

Well done snafu...

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, snafu said:

I also proposed a moat. 

I really like the Panama-style canal idea, ambitious as it may be, you can do allot of things with water. Land owners might be more attracted to the idea vs a steel wall. 

and its something Mexico might actually help fund IMO.

Edited by Figster

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The dems have historically agreed to a security fence on the southern border. They shut down the government not because they had a problem with the fence but because they had a problem with giving Trump the fence. It had nothing to do with them being against the fence for security reasons but for political reasons. So basically the dem leadership sacrificed the safety of the American people for their own partisan reasons.

That was at a time when the Dem position was against illegal immigration because it hurt many union workers and depressed wages for many traditional Dem voters.  The big prize for Dems now comes in the form of millions of Dem voters who are the offspring of illegal immigrants or illegal immigrants themselves who Dems feel will be given citizenship at some point.  Dems have come too far on this to turn back now.  The dreams of turning states like Texas and Arizona blue and obtaining a near electoral lock are getting closer to coming true.  Few Dems are going to support border security and any legislation that restricts immigration.  It's a power play pure and simple and these are sick individuals in Washington pulling these strings.   

Edited by keepthefaith