The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Foxx said:

ummm... with all due respect, i'm going to have to call bull####.

you said, "I shouldn't have expected any more from someone who still thinks it's funny and acceptable to casually use the term "retards".". wherein, you clearly are trying to demean and shame the usage of the chosen term, 'retard'.

i would respect it more if it were owned. i still wouldn't agree with the objective but at least i would respect the origin of the thought.

be honest, with yourself at the very least.

Here's the honest truth: Everyone is free to use whatever language they want. And I'm free to think they if THEY think that using language that is derogatory to the mentally handicapped is funny and "no big deal" -- and choose to use said language over an infinite amount of other options in their FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD PROFILE --  then they probably aren't the most empathetic or kindhearted person around. DC Tom insults people CONSTANTLY on these forums. I think he has a lot of anger, and it's easier to take it out on internet strangers than to deal with it.

It has nothing to do with controlling or censoring anything. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but its consequence is the freedom of those who hear said speech to form opinions about the empathetic and intellectual capacity of the speaker.

Cue more mean-hearted, sexist, homophobic or otherwise vitriolic responses now from the likes of DC Tom and The_Dude now.

53 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Mean tweets are a bigger deal to you than the millions of people who are being abused in the worst possible ways imaginable and sold for profit. 

If all that you think Trump has done to damage human rights in this country and abroad is "mean tweets", then your head must be irretrievably deep in the sand.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

If all that you think Trump has done to damage human rights in this country and abroad is "mean tweets", then your head must be irretrievably deep in the sand.

Explain how he's damaged human rights in this country and abroad. 

Then explain to me how that's worse than human slavery. 

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

In lieu of an explanation, I'd rather Logic cite specific examples, perhaps providing links to primary sources detailing all of these human rights abuses Trump's perpetrated.

And no, being "mean" on twitter doesn't count as a human rights abuse.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I truly appreciate the thoughtful response and your willingness to share.

With regard to your notion that I am silently complicit in human trafficking by rejecting the idea of the wall, though:

Respectfully, I reject the ability of someone who believes that Donald Trump has "advanced the cause of human freedom" telling me that I am silently complicit in anything. To support Trump (though you were careful to say you don't support him, you DID imply that you support his actions as president) is to be complicit in a staggering laundry list of destructive, racist, xenophobic, inhumane, and vile acts and causes.

I'm glad that the issue of human trafficking is important to you, though I'm not sure how such an apparently thoughtful and empathetic person could turn a blind eye to the litany of OTHER human rights abuses for which Trump has been partially or wholly responsible during his national tragedy of a presidency.

I'll ask you to cite examples of these, with sources, detailing the exact nature of the abuses in question, as I have painstakingly done in this thread in regards to the human trafficking and child sex slavery issue.

The I would like for you to explain why you think it's appropriate to oppose the President in his work to end human slavery and child sex trafficking because you don't like other things he has done:  "I think the President has done some bad things, so I will deny him the ability to do good things."  seems like a lousy argument to make.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, snafu said:

And eventually you went home and didn't try to stay in the country. Why can't more people be like you?

Now think about your response. You're glad that he didn't decide to stay in Canada? That's like looking forward to Gleeful Gator's next post.

17 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Your requests of me are flawed and unreasonable, and here's why: You're presenting Trump's wall as the ONLY reasonable way to curb human trafficking. You're speaking as though, by not wanting to build Trump's wall, I must support or overlook human trafficking, or that I don't think it's a problem. 

So when I said that Trump has done damage to human rights, you responded by asking me to justify how said damage is worse than human slavery, despite the fact that I said no such thing. I said that the ability to pinpoint human slavery as an issue to be passionate whilst also ignoring the litany of OTHER human rights abuses taking place under Trump's administration seemed a hypocritical position. I DID NOT say, nor have I at any point implied, that human trafficking isn't a problem or shouldn't be addressed. It obviously IS a problem. Trump's wall is not the only answer to that problem, though. Insisting that it IS the only answer, while also implying that I think human trafficking isn't a problem to begin with simply because I disagree with the wall, is inaccurate and unfair.

TRUMP'S WALL IS NOT THE ONLY ANSWER TO HUMAN TRAFFICKING. 

NOT WANTING SAID WALL DOES NOT EQUAL NOT CARING ABOUT HUMAN TRAFFICKING OR NOT WANTING IT TO BE ADDRESSED!

Edited by Logic

16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'd be curious about this, too. He's a goofy dude, but damaging US human rights? By what measure?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Your requests of me are flawed and unreasonable...

I disagree.

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

You made a statement of fact. I asked you to support it with sources and to expound upon it.

Either you can do so, or you can't.

...But if you can't, you should ask yourself what that means about your position. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Your requests of me are flawed and unreasonable, and here's why: You're presenting Trump's wall as the ONLY reasonable way to curb human trafficking. You're speaking as though, by not wanting to build Trump's wall, I must support or overlook human trafficking, or that I don't think it's a problem. 

So when I said that Trump has done damage to human rights, you responded by asking me to justify how said damage is worse than human slavery, despite the fact that I said no such thing. I said that the ability to pinpoint human slavery as an issue to be passionate whilst also ignoring the litany of OTHER human rights abuses taking place under Trump's administration seemed a hypocritical position. I DID NOT say, nor have I at any point implied, that human trafficking isn't a problem or shouldn't be addressed. It obviously IS a problem. Trump's wall is not the only answer to that problem, though. Insisting that it IS the only answer, while also implying that I think human trafficking isn't a problem to begin with simply because I disagree with the wall, is inaccurate and unfair.

TRUMP'S WALL IS NOT THE ONLY ANSWER TO HUMAN TRAFFICKING. 

NOT WANTING SAID WALL DOES NOT EQUAL NOT CARING ABOUT HUMAN TRAFFICKING OR NOT WANTING IT TO BE ADDRESSED!

Where in any of this did you explain why you believe Trump has damaged American human rights.

Please explain. Forget everything else. Answer that simple question. You made the claim. Please support it.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/trump-human-rights-autopsy-report

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/united-states

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/421814-us-risks-human-rights-abuses-by-funding-border-wall

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/trump-human-rights-and-hypocrisy/

http://hrlr.law.columbia.edu/the-trump-human-rights-tracker/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/withdraws-human-rights-council-180619173311272.html

Above are six links from a variety of places, including Amnesty International, The Hill, The Seattle Times, and Columbia Law School's "Trump Human Rights Tracker". The second to last of these lists, among others, the following (and goes into further detail, if you click the link):

- Ended Deferred Action for DACA program
- Secretary of State lifted the human rights conditions on arms sales to Bahrain
- Revoked protections for women in the workplace
- Repealed a rule restricting coal companies from dumping mine waste into streams

And as the Al Jazeera article discusses, the United States, under Trump's watch, withdrew from the Human Rights Council. 

As the above links detail, there have been a litany of human and civil rights abuses under Trump. Instead of immediately insulting me, feel free to click through the links and read the things that I'm reading that make me say that Trump is a human and civil rights NIGHTMARE.

And before anyone comes back with "none of those are worse than human trafficking!": I NEVER SAID THEY WERE! NOT ONCE! I only said that to selectively be outraged about one (admittedly horrendous and important) thing while conveniently ignoring many OTHER horrendous and important issues (ranging from environmental destruction that will have far-reaching impact on many American citizens to civil rights abuses against immigrant and LGBTQ populations) was hypocritical. That's all. To keep claiming that I dismiss or don't recognize the importance of the human trafficking issue -- or that my dislike for Trump's wall plan means that I don't recognize the seriousness of said issue -- is just dishonest.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/trump-human-rights-autopsy-report

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/united-states

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/421814-us-risks-human-rights-abuses-by-funding-border-wall

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/trump-human-rights-and-hypocrisy/

http://hrlr.law.columbia.edu/the-trump-human-rights-tracker/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/withdraws-human-rights-council-180619173311272.html

Above are six links from a variety of places, including Amnesty International, The Hill, The Seattle Times, and Columbia Law School's "Trump Human Rights Tracker". The second to last of these lists, among others, the following (and goes into further detail, if you click the link):

- Ended Deferred Action for DACA program
- Secretary of State lifted the human rights conditions on arms sales to Bahrain
- Revoked protections for women in the workplace
- Repealed a rule restricting coal companies from dumping mine waste into streams

And as the Al Jazeera article discusses, the United States, under Trump's watch, withdrew from the Human Rights Council. 

As the above links detail, there have been a litany of human and civil rights abuses under Trump. Instead of immediately insulting me, feel free to click through the links and read the things that I'm reading that make me say that Trump is a human and civil rights NIGHTMARE.

And before anyone comes back with "none of those are worse than human trafficking!": I NEVER SAID THEY WERE! NOT ONCE! I only said that to selectively be outraged about one (admittedly horrendous and important) thing while conveniently ignoring many OTHER horrendous and important issues (ranging from environmental destruction that will have far-reaching impact on many American citizens to civil rights abuses against immigrant and LGBTQ populations) was hypocritical. That's all. To keep claiming that I dismiss or don't recognize the importance of the human trafficking issue -- or that my dislike for Trump's wall plan means that I don't recognize the seriousness of said issue -- is just dishonest.

All total bull crap 

Just now, row_33 said:

All total bull crap 

What a thoughtful and thorough response. So glad I spent the time. ?

And with this, I'm logging off for the night to go have some dinner and watch a movie. 

I will happily pick up this conversation in the morning if anyone wishes to.

3 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Yep. Just tell Mexico if we don't build the wall, Canadians will start invading Mexico.

They'll HELP build the wall. Because let's face it...not even the Mexicans want anything to do with Canadians.

***** you guys are lame. Trump is making your entire country dumber! 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

Here's the honest truth: Everyone is free to use whatever language they want. And I'm free to think they if THEY think that using language that is derogatory to the mentally handicapped is funny and "no big deal" -- and choose to use said language over an infinite amount of other options in their FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD PROFILE --  then they probably aren't the most empathetic or kindhearted person around. DC Tom insults people CONSTANTLY on these forums. I think he has a lot of anger, and it's easier to take it out on internet strangers than to deal with it.

It has nothing to do with controlling or censoring anything. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but its consequence is the freedom of those who hear said speech to form opinions about the empathetic and intellectual capacity of the speaker.

Cue more mean-hearted, sexist, homophobic or otherwise vitriolic responses now from the likes of DC Tom and The_Dude now.

The consequence of this speech is that I (and I'm sure others) have formed the opinion that you hold self-righteous beliefs that were spoon-fed to you by tv/media that you think are your core beliefs.

The idea that using the word retarded to refer to stupid people is derogatory to the mentally ill iisn't enlightened or empathetic...it's retarded.

The only difference between "retard" and "moron" is one was arbitrarily deemed offensive by the PC crowd in search of a new source of outrage. So if you hold this belief and still use the term moron or idiot, you're retarded.