The Trump Shutdown

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

I would not place bets against this happening.  While a lot of RINOs got voted out, and many Rs see the "winning" strategy of holding firm, there will always be some GOPe-squishes hovering under the seats in Congress. 

Next two weeks should tell.  When government workers start missing pay checks (to be honest, no one in DC gives a ***** about SNAP recipients) the pressure on everyone in DC is going to ratchet up considerably.

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Not long ago, polls had a large portion of the population dvr'ing the Hillary Rodham Clinton Coronation and Uranimum Sale Jamboree. 

So, there's that. 

Cool.

I am sure that you have chosen the more scientific method of slaughtering fowl and reading their entrails.

This thread is moving along like a gameday thread. Whoever said that our annual budget is in the 2 trillion dollar range is fullofshit.

Whoever said that they weren't a conservative but they sometimes listen to conservative talk shows and then used comments from listeners as if that's the way all conservatives feel. (the wall is a panacea bs) I listen to libs to get a different perspective too. How come all of you want to spend 3.2 trillion a year on Medicaid for all and abolish ICE?

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

You're absolutely right. That was the thinking that let them go full Hillary in 2016 and 2017

I honestly think they run to the left to get *their* base motivated.

Is the ACA broken? Universal Healthcare

The economy? Green New Deal

The deficit? The new 70% tax bracket for income over 10 million

Trump constantly being...Trump will never sway his base. But if Democrats stoke their own base, and Trump continues to make unforced errors, they get the middle back.

You're delusional.  The Democrats have been constantly defining their "base" as the coastal urban population, and progressively alienating almost everyone between the East and West coasts.  They're not getting any "middle" back if they keep dismissing most of the country as being "flyover country."  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think the issue is that if you build a wall, and next to nothing changes, then what?

It's been reported by the DEA that only a tiny percentage of drugs cross the border outside legal ports or entry, and also reported that the vast number of illegal aliens originally entered the country legally, and chose to overstay their visa. 

A wall isn't solving any of those issues. So if the wall gets built, and the drug epidemic continues and violent crime by non-citizens continues, then what?

Welp, go look at Jim Acosta's tweet from earlier today. The steel wall (fencing) showed no illegals trying to climb over it, and operational businesses across the road.

NO ONE knows how many drugs come across the southern border illegally. They can make a guesstimate, but know for certain?  Unlikely. It isn't like the drugs (or people) are being declared at the border. ?

The wall will hopefully help herd people to places where they RE more easily rounded up - hard to hide in the desert brush. And maybe more tunnels can be found and investigated? 

Walls need to be guarded. You do not just slap one up and say "done!". From Hadrian's Wall to the Great Wall of China, walls were still defended after being built. 

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Conversely, if Trump caves, the House Democrats know they can make insane demands and he'll cave again.

THAT'S THE ISSUE.  Not a wall.  A power struggle between two equally entrenched and inflexible positions, that doesn't end until one breaks the other - and these are all stupid, stubborn, unimaginative people who don't break easily.  It's why I said earlier that to end this quickly you pretty much have to shoot all parties involved.

In a to the death cage match between a politician and a trolling businessman with pretty good negotiating skills go with the troll.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Next two weeks should tell.  When government workers start missing pay checks (to be honest, no one in DC gives a ***** about SNAP recipients) the pressure on everyone in DC is going to ratchet up considerably.

I am thinking EBT (snap) money running out is where the ***** starts to hit the fan.  Who blinks then is the question. 

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You're delusional.  The Democrats have been constantly defining their "base" as the coastal urban population, and progressively alienating almost everyone between the East and West coasts.  They're not getting any "middle" back if they keep dismissing most of the country as being "flyover country."  

The middle used to be card carrying union workers across the Mid West but they have been dying off at an accelerated rate the past quarter century.  Maybe that news has yet to reach Philly and the Democrats.  Most of what is left are Bible thumping and gun carrying types like me.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dhs-test-cut-right-through-trumps-border-wall-steel-slats-with-a-saw-report

Department of Homeland Security testing of a prototype of the steel-slat design that Donald Trump favors for his Mexico border wall proved that it could be cut through with a saw, NBC News reports. A photo obtained by the network shows the slats with a gaping hole in the middle after experts from the Marine Corps were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools. Testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including Trump’s favored steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to a Customs and Border Protection report from last February. CBP spokesman Ralph DeSio said the prototypes “were not and cannot be designed to be indestructible,” and can only “impede or deny efforts to scale, breach, or dig under such a barrier, giving agents time to respond.” During the presidential campaign, Trump promised to build an “impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful” wall on the border that would be paid for by Mexico.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

NO ONE knows how many drugs come across the southern border illegally. They can make a guesstimate, but know for certain?  

Well I know for certain at least an 8-ball came over today.  Weekend's coming up dontcha know. 

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

You're absolutely right. That was the thinking that let them go full Hillary in 2016 and 2017

I honestly think they run to the left to get *their* base motivated.

Is the ACA broken? Universal Healthcare

The economy? Green New Deal

The deficit? The new 70% tax bracket for income over 10 million

Trump constantly being...Trump will never sway his base. But if Democrats stoke their own base, and Trump continues to make unforced errors, they get the middle back.

Maybe.

I don't think that's a plan that would be implemented by Pelosi and Schumer because it wouldn't fly with their donors. 

The Dems rely heavily on donations from the rich, and they're not supporting any of those initiatives. 

Bernie was their best shot at shaking things up, but they screwed him 3 years ago. Their young people might be able to win local congressional seats, but their platforms and marketability won't fly on a national stage. 

I think O'Rourke winds up the guy. Gives them a real shot in Texas (potentially a huge swing state), has a relatively conservative voting track record, speaks well and would deliver a campaign based around hope and optimism (even if it has little substance) similar to Obama in 2008. Just a guess though. 

Will be interesting to see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Walls need to be guarded. You do not just slap one up and say "done!". From Hadrian's Wall to the Great Wall of China, walls were still defended after being built. 

Which is also why Trump's Wall is a load of *****: the cost is being low-balled by addressing just the physical construction ("Build a wall!") and not the more significant cost of patrolling and maintenance.  It's not a $5B wall...it's a $50B wall.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Cool.

I am sure that you have chosen the more scientific method of slaughtering fowl and reading their entrails.

I'm not sure what any of that means.  My method wasn't really all that complicated, I just looked at the data driving the polls, the source of the poll itself, and tried to discern whether or not there might be any inherent that would make me question the data. 

Given all that, I thought Hillary Clinton was going to be president. It was a joyful day when it turned out otherwise. 

But if walking in lockstep with the pollsters is your thing, have at it. 

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I don't know.

It's becoming less about the coasts and more about urban centers.

Colorado is now considered a "purple"

Pennylvania was determined by about half of a percent, with Gary Johnson getting 2%.

Similar with Michigan.

And that was with a deeply unpopular and unlikeable Hillary Clinton as a candidate.

Heck, even Texas has a very strong Democratic contingent due to Austin and some of the cities.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am thinking EBT (snap) money running out is where the ***** starts to hit the fan.  Who blinks then is the question. 

No.  That's a pain point for a lot of people...but not anyone that anybody in DC really cares about.  I mean, how much have you heard about garbage in Yosemite, compared to food stamp recipients?  "Welfare recipients" is an abstraction, so "starving welfare recipients" isn't real pain.

"Starving federal workers," on the other hand...those are real.  They exist within the DC bubble.  

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Maybe.

I don't think that's a plan that would be implemented by Pelosi and Schumer because it wouldn't fly with their donors. 

The Dems rely heavily on donations from the rich, and they're not supporting any of those initiatives. 

Bernie was their best shot at shaking things up, but they screwed him 3 years ago. Their young people might be able to win local congressional seats, but their platforms and marketability won't fly on a national stage. 

I think O'Rourke winds up the guy. Gives them a real shot in Texas (potentially a huge swing state), has a relatively conservative voting track record, speaks well and would deliver a campaign based around hope and optimism (even if it has little substance) similar to Obama in 2008. Just a guess though. 

Will be interesting to see what happens. 

Yeah, that really is not helping.

You can deride their ideas all you want, but I think the future is going to be in the fundraising done by O'Rourke, AOC and Sanders.