Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

Easily Josh's best game as a passer in his early career.  Was on the money all day long.  If his receivers fight for the ball he has at least 2-3 more lengthy completions.  Threw it away rather than risking INTs.

I am very excited for the last two games of the season, but especially next year when the OL/receiver issues are addressed.

Earlier this year we beat the Titans 14-13 and I was very depressed about Josh Allen's showing. Fast forward to yesterday we beat the Lions by the exact same scoreline and I feel better than ever about him. 

We beat the Titans in spite of him. We beat the Lions because of him. He's progressing and that's all we wanted out of this year. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I like what I see from the kid.  The only real criticism I'd have from yesterday is he did that thing again when he was scrambling to his right and threw across his body again towards the middle of the field and almost got picked.  He has to stop doing that.

True...but then again:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-rolls-out-to-find-chris-ivory-for-a-big-55-yard-catch-and-run

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I also think I recall a pass to McCoy of the same style that went for a large gain on the first drive in the Texans game..... and then obviously the play to zay in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Easily Josh's best game as a passer in his early career.  Was on the money all day long.  If his receivers fight for the ball he has at least 2-3 more lengthy completions.  Threw it away rather than risking INTs.

I am very excited for the last two games of the season, but especially next year when the OL/receiver issues are addressed.

This^^. Im 28 but idt i've ever been as excited about a QB here in Buffalo.  His tools are top notch but his drive to win and focus on getting better is only going to jump with a year of experience and a better oline/weapons, which is impossible to downgrade so. He'll still make the occasional dumb mistake but hand up I was wrong about wanting him to sit a year.  The kids going to ball out for us

His completion percentage is still quite worrisome.  I don't believe he will go from ~50% to ~65% simply with "better" receivers next season, could be a real problem long term.  They showed a stat during yesterdays game, Stafford is ~67% on the year so far, that's where Allen needs to be someday.

2 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

His completion percentage is still quite worrisome.  I don't believe he will go from ~50% to ~65% simply with "better" receivers next season, could be a real problem long term.  They showed a stat during yesterdays game, Stafford is ~67% on the year so far, that's where Allen needs to be someday.

Um, why do we want him to be Stafford?

11 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I don't think Allen's completion percentage will be near the top of the league anytime soon but I don't think it is that big a deal. First, he needs better weapons that will catch some of the passes that are being dropped. A reliable #1 type tight end on this team could go a long way in giving the young qb a security blanket over the middle. We have already found better receiving options in McKenzie and Foster and more help will be on the way next year. Second, Allen is much more of a chunk yardage qb. He will never be the Alex Smith dink and dunk type. He is not going to throw an endless amount of bubble screens and short crossers. He has mobility to extend plays, a big arm and the confidence to throw downfield. He attempts more difficult throws and there are big payoffs when he hits. The downside is that there are more incompletions. But I'll take his style any day over the safe dink and dunk qb. On 3rd and 15, I actually think the Bills have a chance to pick up a first down and I don't recall feeling that way since maybe the Bledsoe days.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

That's what you get out of that?  Oh my...

I'm trying to understand why you care what Matt Stafford's completion percentage was on a day where he basically made zero plays with his arm that didn't involve him heaving up a prayer for Kenny Golladay

Just now, racketmaster said:

But I'll take his style any day over the safe dink and dunk qb.

As long as he wins SB's, sure.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I'm trying to understand why you care what Matt Stafford's completion percentage was on a day where he basically made zero plays with his arm that didn't involve him heaving up a prayer for Kenny Golladay

iirc the stat was not for the game, but for the season...

16 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

You chose this as your first post?  Really?  Stat box critics are trash.  Josh did everything we want out of a QB yesterday and threw maybe two bad passes all day.

• Like (+1) 1

Hey Josh, we know your OL is shambles and you only have 2 WR's that you can count on, and oh, by the way, here's two random guys at RB and one of them is going to get hurt in the first half.   Go win a game.

Josh (with a strong defense) - Done.

1 minute ago, eball said:

You chose this as your first post?  Really?  Stat box critics are trash.  Josh did everything we want out of a QB yesterday and threw maybe two bad passes all day.

Yeah, a win is a win.  But it was the lions.  We'll see long term how this works out.