Your Concert Experiences

Kiss Aive Tour 1976 could also be considered on of my favorites. It was my first concert and I had turned 15 the day before. We skipped school and left at 10am and got to the Niagara Falls Convention Center real early. Spent the day in the parking lot smoking cigarettes and lots of other stuff. We had our ears to the doors and heard them play Rock and Roll all Night for their sound check.  Very cool for a young kid. . Got in and it was GA on the floor. We were maybe 10 feet from the stage and in heaven.  Brownsville station kicked ass. After their set it started to get crowded...real crowded. So we left and watched the show from the bleachers. It was a bit disappointing to not be close enough to the stage to feel the flames until they started pulling people from the crowd who were getting crushed. Not good. Got lost on the way home (Batavia Area). I looked out the window and asked “what is that lake to our left?”  Ummm Lake Ontario!  *****!!  We stopped in a bar and asked for directions. “Batavia?  Never heard of it.”  Now I imagine they were ***** with us but regardless we were shitting our pants. Then one guy said “oh wait...isn’t that where the racetrack is?”   Yes!!  We were saved!!  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Kiss Aive Tour 1976 could also be considered on of my favorites. It was my first concert and I had turned 15 the day before. We skipped school and left at 10am and got to the Niagara Falls Convention Center real early. Spent the day in the parking lot smoking cigarettes and lots of other stuff. We had our ears to the doors and heard them play Rock and Roll all Night for their sound check.  Very cool for a young kid. . Got in and it was GA on the floor. We were maybe 10 feet from the stage and in heaven.  Brownsville station kicked ass. After their set it started to get crowded...real crowded. So we left and watched the show from the bleachers. It was a bit disappointing to not be close enough to the stage to feel the flames until they started pulling people from the crowd who were getting crushed. Not good. Got lost on the way home (Batavia Area). I looked out the window and asked “what is that lake to our left?”  Ummm Lake Ontario!  *****!!  We stopped in a bar and asked for directions. “Batavia?  Never heard of it.”  Now I imagine they were ***** with us but regardless we were shitting our pants. Then one guy said “oh wait...isn’t that where the racetrack is?”   Yes!!  We were saved!!  

Moron 15 year olds didn't bring a GPS?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Brownsville was another in the great list of Michigan local product.

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Brownsville was another in the great list of Michigan local product.

The drummer was crazy. Had a guy whose only job during the show was to reload a rack of sticks to replace all the ones he broke and threw into the crowd.  As a young drummer and at the show with my band mates was thinking “wow!!  Must be nice. I have to duct tape my sticks back together.”

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The drummer was crazy. Had a guy whose only job during the show was to reload a rack of sticks to replace all the ones he broke and threw into the crowd.  As a young drummer and at the show with my band mates was thinking “wow!!  Must be nice. I have to duct tape my sticks back together.”

had no idea about their schtick until videos were posted on youtube

Ann Arbor was a hotbed of freaks and crazies back in the day

UB attracted them as well

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

had no idea about their schtick until videos were posted on youtube

Ann Arbor was a hotbed of freaks and crazies back in the day

UB attracted them as well

Thanks for that. Watching live videos of them from the 70’s. Takes me back to that night 42 years ago. ?

16 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

3) Bucket List Concert

David Gilmore 

Note you will likely have to travel to see David play again.. on his last 'tour' he only played a few USA cities calling it 'an old man tour'.  He said something along the lines of 'I'm old now so I need to make my fans come to me' (Rock Gods can do this kind of thing!)  Chicago was my closest city so I made a long weekend out of it and had a great time with the concerts and the city sights.  

PS. tickets for Nick Mason's "Saucerful of Secrets" USA tour are on sale now, the set list is a dream for fans of old PF

Edited by coloradobillsfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:27 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Four Questions.

1) Best Concert You've Ever Seen

2) Worst Concert You've Ever Seen

3) Bucket List Concert

4) Concert you wish you could see, but can't due to death/bandbreakup etc.

1. Tough question ...

The Who w/the Clash at Rich Stadium in 82 I thinks ... Great show, awesome sound for an outdoor concert.

Yes ... in the round in Rochester in 78 or 79. We had front row seats and Steve Howe was 10 feet away from us nearly the entire show

Stevie Ray Vaughan at Finger Lakes in 87

Grateful Dead in 84 or 85 at Saratoga ... You could see the mountains in the background and when they did fire on the mountain you could see lightning  in the distance.

2. Genesis in Rochester in 78. It was my 16th B-Day, Phil Collins had just replaced Peter Gabriel as vocalist and they supposedly had a great light show but the truck overturned on the thruway on the way to Rochester ... It really sucked.

3. David Gilmour would probably lead this list

4. Pink Floyd or Bob Marley & the Wailers ... I did see the Wailers though years after Bob's demise.

15 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1. Tough question ...

The Who w/the Clash at Rich Stadium in 82 I thinks ... Great show, awesome sound for an outdoor concert.

I was at that show. Got about 30 feet from the stage in front of Townsend. So packed that when somone 20 feet away moved I moved.

When they sang Love Reign Over Me, it started to rain which was great because I was really hot (more from the croud density than the actual temp).

21 minutes ago, bdutton said:

I was at that show. Got about 30 feet from the stage in front of Townsend. So packed that when somone 20 feet away moved I moved.

When they sang Love Reign Over Me, it started to rain which was great because I was really hot (more from the croud density than the actual temp).

Being September IIRC, temp was in the low 70's. I think that the sound was so good due a lack of any breeze and the low cloud ceiling. It really was spectacular from a sound perspective.

1) Best Concert You've Ever Seen:  Jane's Addiction (1997); Paul McCartney (2005); The Police (2007); Roger Waters (The Wall - 2010).  My first concert was Queen in 1980.  Honestly, I don't remember a whole lot about the concert (I was 9), but it's likely one of the best I've seen.

2) Worst Concert You've Ever Seen:  Night Ranger (2011 - opened for Journey) hands down the worst I've ever seen/heard.  They'd have been better off singing "Sister Christian," then saying, "Thank you!  Goodnight!"  They were downright terrible.

3) Bucket List Concert - I'm interpreting this as a concert that actually COULD happen, i.e. - the people are still alive.  I wouldn't mind seeing Van Halen "2.0" (Sammy, Eddie, Alex, Michael) reunite.  In order for me to want to go, it would have to be those four and only those four.  And I'd love to see Roger Waters and David Gilmour reunite to play Waters/Gilmour-era Pink Floyd music. 

4) Concert you wish you could see, but can't due to death/bandbreakup etc. - Stevie Ray Vaughn; Nirvana; DLR-era Van Halen; Amy Winehouse

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 9:59 AM, Gugny said:

3) Bucket List Concert - I'm interpreting this as a concert that actually COULD happen, i.e. - the people are still alive.  I wouldn't mind seeing Van Halen "2.0" (Sammy, Eddie, Alex, Michael) reunite.  In order for me to want to go, it would have to be those four and only those four.

I honestly could do it with either Dave or Sammy. But Michael has to be there for me to go. Yeah, "Wolfie" does a very good job on the bass. But without Michael Anthony on backup vocals, nothing sounds the same.

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I honestly could do it with either Dave or Sammy. But Michael has to be there for me to go. Yeah, "Wolfie" does a very good job on the bass. But without Michael Anthony on backup vocals, nothing sounds the same.

Wolfie has no business being there.  I wouldn't pay more than $10 to see them without Michael Anthony.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2018 at 4:08 PM, The Poojer said:

Thanks for the endorsement.  I'm also a Genesis afficianado and never got to see them with Gabriel or Hackett.  Musical box plays Philly yearly and was never really inspired to see them.  This sways my thinking

so..was going to post about Pegasus at McVans in the late 70's..loved that bar and that band. Damn, such a fine old extablishment, to bad its like a freaking Timmies now. Anyway, was googling McVans just for kicks and came across this..too freaking funny. Bitching about $37 tickets!!!! Man, 13 years ago we still yapping about same things!!!

40 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Crossing Elton John off of my bucket list on Sunday night.

he puts on a great show

one of the one's i've (with all due respect) walked out on early because I got my fill after a few hours, The Boss was another one, I wasn't up to another two hours

each time i go to the upper tier and hand my great ticket to someone who would enjoy the move closer

• Like (+1) 1