Your Concert Experiences

On 11/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, bdutton said:

I was at that show. Got about 30 feet from the stage in front of Townsend. So packed that when somone 20 feet away moved I moved.

When they sang Love Reign Over Me, it started to rain which was great because I was really hot (more from the croud density than the actual temp).

Someone sent me a link to a recording of the concert a few days ago.  The sound quality is pretty bad, or maybe its just the crappy earbuds I have. Its still pretty cool to have.

After Love Reign O'er Me, you can definitely hear the "Not even the Stones could have pulled that one" line....so I wasn't imagining it.

I'd post the link, but I dunno if there's a copyright thingy and I don't want to open the site to any trouble from the Half-A-Who members still around.

Anyone wants the link, PM me I guess?

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2018 at 10:18 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

So yeah. I figured my wife was getting me Stones tickets. And I'd have been ecstatic to sit in the nosebleeds. She got my whole family to pitch in to get me on the field. Literally cried when I opened the gift. 

stones.jpg

Did you also cry when they cancelled?

8 hours ago, CookieG said:

Someone sent me a link to a recording of the concert a few days ago.  The sound quality is pretty bad, or maybe its just the crappy earbuds I have. Its still pretty cool to have.

After Love Reign O'er Me, you can definitely hear the "Not even the Stones could have pulled that one" line....so I wasn't imagining it.

I'd post the link, but I dunno if there's a copyright thingy and I don't want to open the site to any trouble from the Half-A-Who members still around.

Anyone wants the link, PM me I guess?

Is it Pete or Roger saying it?

16 hours ago, bbb said:

Is it Pete or Roger saying it?

It sounds like it was Daltrey..but tough for me to say.  For me, it was verification that it happened and wasn't just some alcohol induced foggy memory I had. I listened to some of it last night, as I remembered, they were good that day. It brought back some cool youthful memories.

As I said, if you want it, I'll provide the link to the download.  But unless you want to by the file sharing service, it takes forever to download the concert. about 750 mb at dial up speed. Something to start before bed and let it go on its own.

Best....Starz, Ted Nugent, The Real Lynrd Skynrd, Blue Oyster Cult...Rich Stadium 1977                                                                     Worst Electric Light Orchestra Aud 77           Bucket....Dont Have One                                   Zepplin and Pink Floyd 

28 minutes ago, CookieG said:

It sounds like it was Daltrey..but tough for me to say.  For me, it was verification that it happened and wasn't just some alcohol induced foggy memory I had. I listened to some of it last night, as I remembered, they were good that day. It brought back some cool youthful memories.

As I said, if you want it, I'll provide the link to the download.  But unless you want to by the file sharing service, it takes forever to download the concert. about 750 mb at dial up speed. Something to start before bed and let it go on its own.

Earlier in the thread (I think it's this one), I had argued with one or two people who said Roger said this about the Stones.  I said you guys remember the line, but it was Pete who said it..............My memory is pretty vivid that it was Pete, but I can be wrong.

Thanks for the offer, but I have no idea how file sharing, etc. works.  

I have seen so many its hard to pick a favorite. As a kid in Buffalo two shows really stood out. The Grateful Dead at the Aud in 77 and The Who at Rich stadium with The Clash in 82 just before I left for the west coast. 

Saw a ton of great shows at the Aud, Jethro Tull, Santana, the Kinks, Frank Zappa, Yes, Moody Blues, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles etc. and the Summerfest stadium shows like Elton John, Blue Oyster Cult with Skynyrd, Frampton, the Stones, etc. I remember a crazy Tubes show at the Century theater I think, and a great J Geils Band show at the Kleinhans(I think) with so many gorgeous girls dressed up and dancing in the aisles, before a lot of their cheesy hits, and then a lot of other shows I can't recall at the moment.

Since then some great shows I have seen include Pink Floyd, the Allman bros around 10 times, Jerry Garcia Band (Jerry alive of course) around 50 times, over 300 Grateful Dead shows with Garcia, Jerry and Grisman 6 times, Stevie Ray Vaughn twice (the last time was at Deer Valley Utah a couple weeks before he died with Taj Mahal opening, Stevie just got out of rehab and was on fire), Jimmy Cliff, John Lee Hooker, BB King, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan over 10 times, Van Morrison 5 times, had a food booth on the Horde fest tour in 96 with Rusted Root, Blues Traveler, Natalie Merchant, Kravitz, Dave Matthews, that was a lot of fun; Santana  over 10 times always a great show, Tom Petty a few, Dave Matthews band over 25 times because my wife loves them and they always let us in the front pit at the Gorge Amphitheater , David Lindley around 8 times who I fed mushrooms to backstage in 85 at a Park City Utah club,  Widespread Panic, Phish, String Cheese a bunch because I know Mike Travis, Jefferson Airplane reunion Golden Gate park the day John Denver died Grace told us from the stage, Hot Tuna a few times, the last time I got to sit on the edge of the stage right next to Jorma at the old Sweetwater in Mill Valley, went to Telluride bluegrass fest a few times late 80s and that was always an incredible show. Too many other good shows to list. Sorry about the lengthy response.

Bad shows I have seen are less numerous but one really stands out, my wife dragged me to an Alanis Morrisette show in Portland Or. and she was awful, sheer torture and my wife agreed.

Bucket list the Talking Heads, Dire Straits, and Peter Gabriel immediately come to mind.

Led Zeppelin is the show I will never get to see, had tickets to the Rich stadium show in the 70s that got canceled when one of their kids died. Would have loved to see Bob Marley and the Wailers or the Beatles back in the day as well, without all the screaming though.

Once again sorry for the length but it was great to relive all that in my memory.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was at The Who concert in Cincinnati around 1980 where those poor people died, crushed while standing up. Long story (very) short.....I think I always liked their music, but when it comes on now I always change the channel. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bbb said:

Earlier in the thread (I think it's this one), I had argued with one or two people who said Roger said this about the Stones.  I said you guys remember the line, but it was Pete who said it..............My memory is pretty vivid that it was Pete, but I can be wrong.

Thanks for the offer, but I have no idea how file sharing, etc. works.  

What I always remembered...no idea why I did, but I remember Townsend calling them the Rolling Bones. And he did, as he was dedicating the next song to them (Long Live Rock). to this day, I don't know why that stuck in my head.

As to the file sharing thing...pfft...its really just downloading a file. Its on a music message board, the guy provided a link, it takes you to a download button.

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was at The Who concert in Cincinnati around 1980 where those poor people died, crushed while standing up. Long story (very) short.....I think I always liked their music, but when it comes on now I always change the channel. 

A good friend from Cincinnati was swept up in that rush. I met him working at the Grand Canyon in 83, we would travel to Dead shows together. He was an all state rb at Moeller High in Cinci., a burly dude. He told me he was lifted off his feet outside holding his ticket in the air and his feet didn't touch the ground again until he was inside the building and past the turnstiles. He said he thought he was gonna pop he got squeezed so hard. Scary. 

I worked crowd control outside the Rich stadium Who and Clash show in 82. They liked my style and gave me a bullhorn and told me I could party a little with the people to do my job. There were a couple thousand wasted people in line long before the gates opened, a lot of Canadians and punk rockers. I told everyone with my bullhorn "remember Cincinnati, someone could get hurt and it might be you. We're all here to have a good time, lets have a good time and look out for each other". We all had fun and it went smoothly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

A good friend from Cincinnati was swept up in that rush. I met him working at the Grand Canyon in 83, we would travel to Dead shows together. He was an all state rb at Moeller High in Cinci., a burly dude. He told me he was lifted off his feet outside holding his ticket in the air and his feet didn't touch the ground again until he was inside the building and past the turnstiles. He said he thought he was gonna pop he got squeezed so hard. Scary. 

I worked crowd control outside the Rich stadium Who and Clash show in 82. They liked my style and gave me a bullhorn and told me I could party a little with the people to do my job. There were a couple thousand wasted people in line long before the gates opened, a lot of Canadians and punk rockers. I told everyone with my bullhorn "remember Cincinnati, someone could get hurt and it might be you. We're all here to have a good time, lets have a good time and look out for each other". We all had fun and it went smoothly.

I was at The Who concert with half the Xavier rugby team, and we almost lost one guy. Nobody wasted, petite or frail in our group. It was cold, wet and windy....and they only had two doors open right next to each other. The lights went down and they started playing Quadrophenia and everyone thought the show was starting. We didn’t care. We took off to find less congested entries, only to find there were none. The city tried to blame the wasted kids, and had to be embarrassed when toxicology came back. Such a senseless loss. 

I don’t know if it’s the music or something buried deep in me, but when The Who comes on now, I change the station. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Matty the Dustmop said:

Best....Starz, Ted Nugent, The Real Lynrd Skynrd, Blue Oyster Cult...Rich Stadium 1977                                                                     Worst Electric Light Orchestra Aud 77           Bucket....Dont Have One                                   Zepplin and Pink Floyd 

This is a good distinction. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:27 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Four Questions.

1) Best Concert You've Ever Seen

2) Worst Concert You've Ever Seen

3) Bucket List Concert

4) Concert you wish you could see, but can't due to death/bandbreakup etc.

Best - Jean Luc Ponty/Stanley Clark/Bela Fleck.  Under the Yosemite stars.  Something magical there.  Honorable mention to several Mudhoney and John Prine shows.. and the Reverend Horton Heat.  Pissing off Thurston Moore

Worst - David Crosby backed by his son's band

Bucket list will be catching Keith Moon live

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:50 PM, Turk71 said:

I have seen so many its hard to pick a favorite. As a kid in Buffalo two shows really stood out. The Grateful Dead at the Aud in 77 and The Who at Rich stadium with The Clash in 82 just before I left for the west coast. 

Saw a ton of great shows at the Aud, Jethro Tull, Santana, the Kinks, Frank Zappa, Yes, Moody Blues, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles etc. and the Summerfest stadium shows like Elton John, Blue Oyster Cult with Skynyrd, Frampton, the Stones, etc. I remember a crazy Tubes show at the Century theater I think, and a great J Geils Band show at the Kleinhans(I think) with so many gorgeous girls dressed up and dancing in the aisles, before a lot of their cheesy hits, and then a lot of other shows I can't recall at the moment.

Since then some great shows I have seen include Pink Floyd, the Allman bros around 10 times, Jerry Garcia Band (Jerry alive of course) around 50 times, over 300 Grateful Dead shows with Garcia, Jerry and Grisman 6 times, Stevie Ray Vaughn twice (the last time was at Deer Valley Utah a couple weeks before he died with Taj Mahal opening, Stevie just got out of rehab and was on fire), Jimmy Cliff, John Lee Hooker, BB King, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan over 10 times, Van Morrison 5 times, had a food booth on the Horde fest tour in 96 with Rusted Root, Blues Traveler, Natalie Merchant, Kravitz, Dave Matthews, that was a lot of fun; Santana  over 10 times always a great show, Tom Petty a few, Dave Matthews band over 25 times because my wife loves them and they always let us in the front pit at the Gorge Amphitheater , David Lindley around 8 times who I fed mushrooms to backstage in 85 at a Park City Utah club,  Widespread Panic, Phish, String Cheese a bunch because I know Mike Travis, Jefferson Airplane reunion Golden Gate park the day John Denver died Grace told us from the stage, Hot Tuna a few times, the last time I got to sit on the edge of the stage right next to Jorma at the old Sweetwater in Mill Valley, went to Telluride bluegrass fest a few times late 80s and that was always an incredible show. Too many other good shows to list. Sorry about the lengthy response.

Bad shows I have seen are less numerous but one really stands out, my wife dragged me to an Alanis Morrisette show in Portland Or. and she was awful, sheer torture and my wife agreed.

Bucket list the Talking Heads, Dire Straits, and Peter Gabriel immediately come to mind.

Led Zeppelin is the show I will never get to see, had tickets to the Rich stadium show in the 70s that got canceled when one of their kids died. Would have loved to see Bob Marley and the Wailers or the Beatles back in the day as well, without all the screaming though.

Once again sorry for the length but it was great to relive all that in my memory.

I skipped over this the first time, I guess. I’m sorry, am I interrupting you at a concert now? Oh, and are you ever NOT at a concert? 

I’ve done a lot of the basics, but Van Morrison is the one I regret never seeing. Would not have been my thing way back when, but now it’s top of the list. Even our R&R HOF friends said “that guy has soul”. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

I skipped over this the first time, I guess. I’m sorry, am I interrupting you at a concert now? Oh, and are you ever NOT at a concert? 

I’ve done a lot of the basics, but Van Morrison is the one I regret never seeing. Would not have been my thing way back when, but now it’s top of the list. Even our R&R HOF friends said “that guy has soul”. 

My favorite Van show was at Mac Court Univ of Oregon with Bob Dylan opening. I was in the front row next to Ken Kesey. 

The Masonic Auditorium show in San Fran was also one of my favorites. Van is a bard of the highest degree.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:50 PM, Turk71 said:

and a great J Geils Band show at the Kleinhans(I think) with so many gorgeous girls dressed up and dancing in the aisles, before a lot of their cheesy hits, and then a lot of other shows I can't recall at the moment.

This is the Number One I'm so pissed I wasn't there concert.  I had a ticket, with my friends, in the 2nd row...................Exactly a year before (12/4/80 - greatest weekend of my life) my prof at Bona let me take the exam on Thursday instead of Friday so I could see Springsteen.................I figured for sure my prof my soph year would let me do the same.  NO!!!!!................I gave my ticket to my friend who for some odd reason, kept rubbing it into my face for years about what a great concert I missed!