CA fires

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, you're saying it's really all about the water, eh? Water and water rights have always been an issue in most of the west. We here in the east don't get the wide variations in rainfall that the west does. The west receives not only variations within a year but from year to year, decade to decade. Many areas aren't naturally set up to be habitated. (FU Spellcheck, "habitated" is a word) It's like building a city below sea level in a hurricane zone. California is overpopulated for the rain it gets. Couple that with its politics and love for Delta Smelt and it will always have major problems. Just ask Jake Gittes.

This is a disjointed word salad that says absolutely nothing.  :wacko:  

On 11/16/2018 at 11:39 PM, DC Tom said:

Not exactly.  Most of the state has distinct rainy and dry seasons (roughly December to March, and April to November, respectively), and a couple of years ago the rainy season was rather rainier than average.  This led to abundant new vegetation growth, that is now providing a good amount of fuel in the current dry season.  That's compounded by the Santa Ana winds from the mountains, which enhance the fires and make them fast-moving.  

The recent drought has something to do with it - it killed a lot of trees, which provides more fuel.  But in a lot of the pictures you see, the trees are still standing (e.g. here), although scorched.  So it's not the trees that are serving as fuel, so much as the brush that's grown since the rain they had about 20 months ago.  It's not coincidental that the worst fire right now (the Camp Fire) is practically on top of Oroville Dam, that had the spillway failure from excessive rain in February 2017.

I like this explanation better.  We need to learn from Finland.

"You gotta take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forest,very important...I was with the President of Finland...he called it a forest nation and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem."

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

"You gotta take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forest,very important...I was with the President of Finland...he called it a forest nation and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem."

CA vs Finland. We should also take snow removal lessons from Mississippi. Maybe there are other things different about Finland. And North Carolina. 

Trump probably pictures the entirety of Finland with no undergrowth from endless raking by the Fin raking army. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

CA vs Finland. We should also take snow removal lessons from Mississippi. Maybe there are other things different about Finland. And North Carolina. 

Trump probably pictures the entirety of Finland with no undergrowth from endless raking by the Fin raking army. 

This reply proves your ignorance.

You really should consider taking longer breathes. You might think more clearly.

If you truly believe that insight cannot be provided from Finland in to a situation just because California is in the America's and that equates to snow removal processes in Mississippi ...*****, you're just stupid and I won't waste my time.

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Bernie Sanders says the US should be more like Finland, the Left and media fawns over him

Trump says the US should be more like Finland, and well you saw what happened there

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Bernie Sanders says the US should be more like Finland, the Left and media fawns over him

Trump says the US should be more like Finland, and well you saw what happened there

Both are silly. The US can copy things that work politically or forest management wise to the extent they make sense. But we are different in ways that make copying Finland as relevant as copying mosquito control tactics in Antarctica. 

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I really don't know why people still pay any attention to him.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A good time to remind everyone that the worst Yellowstone fire - several years ago - was a result of federal land management policies that amounted to "let nature take its course."  

Yes, wildfires are a natural process, and ecologically necessary in many places where they're frequent.  They also kill people and destroy things.  Can't have it both "natural" and "safe."

California wildfires: Finland bemused by Trump raking comment    (he also bemuses me)

Finns have been baffled by US President Donald Trump's comments praising the country for managing its vast forests by raking.

Citing a conversation with his Finnish counterpart, Mr Trump said they spend "a lot of time on raking and cleaning".

But President Sauli Niinisto told a Finnish daily he could not remember talking about raking when the two met.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46256296

Finland has a different climate without Santa Ana and Diablo winds 

19 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

This reply proves your ignorance.

You really should consider taking longer breathes. You might think more clearly.

If you truly believe that insight cannot be provided from Finland in to a situation just because California is in the America's and that equates to snow removal processes in Mississippi ...*****, you're just stupid and I won't waste my time.

I think he may be on to something. The Fins speak Finnish.  Heck they drive Fjords over there. The language barrier alone seems insurmountable. 

Though on this one, as with others, djt sounds an awful lot like off-prompter barrack speaking about visiting all 52 states. 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think he may be on to something. The Fins speak Finnish.  Heck they drive Fjords over there. The language barrier alone seems insurmountable. 

Though on this one, as with others, djt sounds an awful lot like off-prompter barrack speaking about visiting all 52 states. 

It was 57 states, and Hawaii is in Asia, you ignorant slut corpse man.

And here come the rains and here comes the mudslides.  Again, clearing the brush is not the answer.  For me the answer is we just deal with it.  We choose to live here and though we have earthquakes, fires, mudslides, Jerry Brown and now Gavin Newsome, at least I don't have to shovel snow just to get to work in the winter.  So we got that going for us....which is nice. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And here come the rains and here comes the mudslides.  Again, clearing the brush is not the answer.  For me the answer is we just deal with it.  We choose to live here and though we have earthquakes, fires, mudslides, Jerry Brown and now Gavin Newsome, at least I don't have to shovel snow just to get to work in the winter.  So we got that going for us....which is nice. 

maybe it's just me but that sounds like being on the wrong side of the ledger.

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Not at all.  I've lived here for over 35 years.  I have not lost so much as a wine glass to an earthquake, had one millimeter of mud in my house due to mudslides nor a bit of  any tree on any of my properties singed by fire and I've lived in 9 different neighborhoods in that time.  On the other hand all the WNY/East Coast folks have to shovel snow constantly every winter.  So having said that I am absolutely on the right side of the ledger.  Now the Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsome thing?  Oh well it's not all Paradise.  And after these fires who wants to live in Paradise anyway?

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it looks like PG&E will be safe from liability. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/20/pge-friendly-wildfire-bill-being-eyed-by-state-lawmakers-in-wake-of-lethal-butte-county-inferno/amp/

BTW PG&E is responsible for 17 of the last 21 CA wildfires. 

How many of the state, municipalities and teachers unions pensions are tied into PG&E?

7 hours ago, Foxx said:

It is for some, it's not for others. Jim is right in that beyond emergency supplies and wall mounts, there's little you can do with earthquakes other than worry you can get to a safe spot when one hits. Fires, on the other hand, don't care where you live. What happened in Paradise was the exception, not the rule. Most people get enough warning to pack up. Mudslides...well...you know what you get if you live in a mudslide area, so I'm not crying for those folks. 

Truth is, none of those things make CA a dangerous place to live. It's the people running the state, especially now that the lone bastion of red is now fully blue. Jim doesn't really care, in part because he's good with money and in another part because he understands he shouldn't reproduce. Having children in CA changes your view of the state for reasons too numerous to clog this thread.

More to the point, I grew up plowing snow, and I can't wait to get the hell out of here and do it again. Tomato, tomahto.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it looks like PG&E will be safe from liability. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/20/pge-friendly-wildfire-bill-being-eyed-by-state-lawmakers-in-wake-of-lethal-butte-county-inferno/amp/

BTW PG&E is responsible for 17 of the last 21 CA wildfires. 

They also get to pass on their losses to their customers without question, following Brown's signature a few months ago.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1