13 Killed; 18 Hurt in So. Cal. Bar Mass Shooting

Fadingpain

So the shooter is a white guy named David Long.  28 years old.  He had a single firearm: a Glock .45 with extended mags. 

Earlier when this was all breaking news, one eyewitness who was there described him as being "Middle Eastern" looking.

Early reports also said he had an Uzi.  Some said he had a "large hand gun".  

I always find this fascinating.  The eye witness accounts of things like this are almost always wrong and in general, this type of information is extremely unreliable.

The early version of what happened with big breaking news stories is almost always wrong.

I remember on 9/11 it was reported for a while that there more explosions and stuff going on on the National Mall near the Capitol Building....which of course never happened.

13 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Also, PTSD  now has cast such a large swath,  almost anyone who's had the slightest bit of adversity in their life can use that as a scape goat, which detracts from those who actually dealt with some serious *****.

I am a military vet and I have PTSD.

I actually thought that I had come away from my military time unscathed and did not have PTSD till I starting applying for veterans benefits 17 years later......I actually have ALL the symptoms of it.

It doesnt mean I am going to go out and be a ax murderer tomorrow and frankly I take exception of any military member using this as a excuse to harm civilians.

We did what we had to do in war time because it was well.....wartime....military should not be hurting ppl that they actually thought they were defending during their military service.  That is a cop out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

Annnnnd, check.

The poor white men in this country.  If they could only catch a break.

I'm done here.

Yeah, the whole modern fad of pointing out every negative thing about white men while ignoring/excusing every negative thing about anyone else is really working well.  Keep doubling down on that.

I guess hearing his new Governor-elect use his victory speech to decry to scourge of "toxic masculinity" wasn't enough to change his mind.

58 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I've been thinking a lot about the PTSD thing, and I have to think there's got to be additional factors that make people do things like this. The guys that came back from WWII, The Koren War, Vietnam etc....

They've seen the same hells that younger generations have and these kinds of things didn't happen with the frequency they are now. I'm not sure what it is, but people just seem more batshit crazy these days.

I’m not denying that at all, but I also wonder how much is prevalence vs awareness?  How much is it affected by media coverage these days? EVERYTHING makes the news nationally. One of my friends growing up tried to stop his brother, just back from Vietnam, from slicing up his parents. He got badly hurt in the process, losing feeling in his right hand due to nerve damage. Instead of making the news, it was all hush hush. They didn't talk, and we didn’t ask (though it was impossible not to leak out). I was a kid, and I was still aware of several situations like that. It does seem worse, but it’s also....different. I have questions, but no answers...

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not denying that at all, but I also wonder how much is prevalence vs awareness?  How much is it affected by media coverage these days? EVERYTHING makes the news nationally. One of my friends growing up tried to stop his brother, just back from Vietnam, from slicing up his parents. He got badly hurt in the process, losing feeling in his right hand due to nerve damage. Instead of making the news, it was all hush hush. They didn't talk, and we didn’t ask (though it was impossible not to leak out). I was a kid, and I was still aware of several situations like that. It does seem worse, but it’s also....different. I have questions, but no answers...

A lot of food for thought here. I'm off tomorrow so hit unscheduled happy hour. I'll get back on this if I'm somewhat coherent in a few hours. Wife is DD tonight since I'm dropping my truck off for maintenance. Thankfully dealership is near a craft brewery. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A lot of food for thought here. I'm off tomorrow so hit unscheduled happy hour. I'll get back on this if I'm somewhat coherent in a few hours. Wife is DD tonight since I'm dropping my truck off for maintenance. Thankfully dealership is near a craft brewery. 

Isn’t that always how you pick a dealship? It’s certainly on MY checklist! 

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually thought that I had come away from my military time unscathed and did not have PTSD till I starting applying for veterans benefits 17 years later......I actually have ALL the symptoms of it.

It doesnt mean I am going to go out and be a ax murderer tomorrow and frankly I take exception of any military member using this as a excuse to harm civilians.

We did what we had to do in war time because it was well.....wartime....military should not be hurting ppl that they actually thought they were defending during their military service.  That is a cop out.

John,

thank you for your service and know that your sacrifices haven’t gone unnoticed. There are still plenty of us out there that appreciate everything you have sacrificed. 

54 minutes ago, mrags said:

This too. There are people claiming this because their preferred candidate didn’t win an election. Grow the F$)K up is what I say. 

Even if you could. People that want to create chaos and kill others or do others harm will just find other way to do it. Hammers. Hatches. Poison. Home made pipe bombs. Pressure cookers. Fire. The list goes on and on. 

Want to know what is good against a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun. 

Yeah, 13 people would be dead with a hammer.  Brilliant.  Jesus, so dumb.  We can’t go to church, school, the mall, anywhere without a gun.  How pathetic is that?  Literally, without a weapon, no one can hurt me.  But because of losers who can’t get laid or people who care more about guns than people, we are at the mercy of a loser whose life sucks.

but thoughts and prayers.  You’re a hero!

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, 13 people would be dead with a hammer.  Brilliant.  Jesus, so dumb.  We can’t go to church, school, the mall, anywhere without a gun.  How pathetic is that?  Literally, without a weapon, no one can hurt me.  But because of losers who can’t get laid or people who care more about guns than people, we are at the mercy of a loser whose life sucks.

Stay in the stadium wall. Your takes are less stupid over there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did you know the second largest mass killing in this country was a bombing like 80 yrs ago at a school?  And more people are killed by knives than guns? 

Your vast generalizations allow for no debate to be had. You are obsolete.  This country needs to talk it out and not be so arrogant or pompous they deny others their constitutional right.

So when you're ready to have a civil conversation about civics then maybe you should be taken seriously. Otherwise your virtue signaling is pathetic to an argument which you can't hold water

Signed,

America

Edit:. PS. I saw your thoughts and prayers statement. Makes me think you're the Facebooker who says skyfairy.  ???. Weaksauce, brah.  You get no internets 

Edited by Boyst62

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

Stay in the stadium wall. Your takes are less stupid over there. 

Oh no!  Tough guy I don’t care about on a message board!  You burned me.  Get the rest of your “gang” to try and be tough for the first time in your life.  You guys are the real heroes!  

Thoughts and prayers. Mass shootings will stop if we pray enough.  Too bad they can’t deport his family!

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh no!  Tough guy I don’t care about on a message board!  You burned me.  Get the rest of your “gang” to try and be tough for the first time in your life.  You guys are the real heroes!  

Thoughts and prayers. Mass shootings will stop if we pray enough.  Too bad they can’t deport his family!

I dont know what you're talking about a "gang". I never said nothing about thoughts and prayers. There was civil discourse in here before your *****. I think you have some of your own insecurities to deal with. 

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Didn't know the second largest mass killing in this country was a bombing like 80 yrs ago at a school?  And more people are killed by knives than guns? 

Your vast generalizations allow for no debate to be had. You are obsolete.  This country needs to talk it out and not be so arrogant or pompous they deny others their constitutional right.

So when you're ready to have a civil conversation about civics then maybe you should be taken seriously. Otherwise your virtue signaling is pathetic to an argument which you can't hold water

Signed,

America

Yup.  These guns were exactly what the constitution had in mind over 300 years ago.  

I love how people say they love the police yet police show up to scenes with some loser who has access to a more powerful weapon they have.  Thoughts and prayers though.  Let’s remember these people by doing nothing!

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Your comical. Speaking of internet tough guys, lol. Then you get all butthurt about some law abiding citizens with guns. 

Keep going tho. Make the argument against good guys with guns when it’s bad guys that are the ones killing people. But it’s the guns fault. 

Its also the automobile and cheeseburgers and cell phones that should be banned to because of accidents by cars, even more with people driving while using cell phones. And the obesity of humanity is killing so many as well. 

Your rationale is hilarious. 

I onew there was a reason i never liked you. I’m not a fan of stupid people.  

And for the record for yourself and the mods, we were all having a civil conversation about all this and your stupidity ruined it. 

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont know what you're talking about a "gang". I never said nothing about thoughts and prayers. There was civil discourse in here before your *****. I think you have some of your own insecurities to deal with. 

It’s what you dorks do here.  You try to gang up on people who have a different opinion.  It’s super intimidating!

i think hunting is joke of a “sport.”  But whatever.  Keep your little shotgun or pistol so you can feel like a man for once.  But why a private citizen needs to have anything more than that is so completely stupid.  And the fact some people can’t even have a conversation about gun control and mental health and would rather make other excuses is everything wrong with this country.  Sad part is you won’t get it until it affects your family, which given how things are now, isn’t that unlikely.  Thoughts and prayers.

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  These guns were exactly what the constitution had in mind over 300 years ago.  

I love how people say they love the police yet police show up to scenes with some loser who has access to a more powerful weapon they have.  Thoughts and prayers though.  Let’s remember these people by doing nothing!

Powerful argument there, mocking people of faith praying for the grief stricken; buttressed by a complete lack of understanding of our Founding history.

I am convinced.

Oh, wait, no I'm not.  Ignorant emotional screeds which mock people's faith are poor arguments.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

Your comical. Speaking of internet tough guys, lol. Then you get all butthurt about some law abiding citizens with guns. 

Keep going tho. Make the argument against good guys with guns when it’s bad guys that are the ones killing people. But it’s the guns fault. 

Its also the automobile and cheeseburgers and cell phones that should be banned to because of accidents by cars, even more with people driving while using cell phones. And the obesity of humanity is killing so many as well. 

Your rationale is hilarious. 

I onew there was a reason i never liked you. I’m not a fan of stupid people.  

And for the record for yourself and the mods, we were all having a civil conversation about all this and your stupidity ruined it. 

Haha. You’re, not yours genius.  

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Powerful argument there, mocking people of faith praying for the grief stricken; buttressed by a complete lack of understanding of our Founding history.

I am convinced.

Oh, wait, no I'm not.  Ignorant emotional screeds which mock the faith are poor arguments.

Please. I’m super religious.  I also realize praying for something without action does nothing.  

Pray for the victims and do something for their memory. 

It was clear from the beginning this would take a turn for the worse. Too bad, a lot of people are gone, and families are devastated with no warning. I won’t advance any agenda here, just go back to the tragedy and lives lost. 

• Like (+1) 2

It’s what you dorks do here.  You try to gang up on people who have a different opinion.  It’s super intimidating!

i think hunting is joke of a “sport.”  But whatever.  Keep your little shotgun or pistol so you can feel like a man for once.  But why a private citizen needs to have anything more than that is so completely stupid.  And the fact some people can’t even have a conversation about gun control and mental health and would rather make other excuses is everything wrong with this country.  Sad part is you won’t get it until it affects your family, which given how things are now, isn’t that unlikely.  Thoughts and prayers.

Keep up with the thoughts and prayers. I know it's a joke. Maybe we should lock up people that have mental problems. I'm all for it. At this point it seems almost impossible to have a rational conversation with you. What should we do about the thousands of people who die from car accidents each year? Car control? What about the ***** that have 5 DUI convictions and still drive? Outlaw alcohol. What's your solution actually besides the snarky thoughts and prayers.

And by the way your the one that came out with insults about intent tough guys and dorks. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was clear from the beginning this would take a turn for the worse. Too bad, a lot of people are gone, and families are devastated with no warning. I won’t advance any agenda here, just go back to the tragedy and lives lost. 

And I totally agree with this.  But when do you at least try to make it stop?  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Please. I’m super religious.  I also realize praying for something without action does nothing.  

Pray for the victims and do something for their memory. 

I'm pretty sure you don't understand how faith works, but that's OK.  I'll pray for your enlightenment.

And in their memory I'll likely donate to a fund which will be established to benefit their survivors in some way.

What I won't do is make a short sighted and emotional plea for the suspension of the greatest gift God gave us, human freedom. 

Freedom has a blood cost, and not only on the battlefield.  Innocents also die, and while it's unfortunate, the insistence that man should not be free has a much higher cost.

Keep up with the thoughts and prayers. I know it's a joke. Maybe we should lock up people that have mental problems. I'm all for it. At this point it seems almost impossible to have a rational conversation with you. What should we do about the thousands of people who die from car accidents each year? Car control? What about the ***** that have 5 DUI convictions and still drive? Outlaw alcohol. What's your solution actually besides the snarky thoughts and prayers.

And by the way your the one that came out with insults about intent tough guys and dorks. 

In some countries, you lose your license after 1 DUI.  Guess what people learn to do there?

crazy thought.  Why don’t we work on taking care of mental health issues and make it extremely difficult to get certain weapons?  

In some countries, you lose your license after 1 DUI.  Guess what people learn to do there?

crazy thought.  Why don’t we work on taking care of mental health issues and make it extremely difficult to get certain weapons?  

I'm all for that may man. Finally some common ground. 

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'm pretty sure you don't understand how faith works, but that's OK.  I'll pray for your enlightenment.

And in their memory I'll likely donate to a fund which will be established to benefit their survivors in some way.

What I won't do is make a short sighted and emotional plea for the suspension of the greatest gift God gave us, human freedom. 

Freedom has a blood cost, and not only on the battlefield.  Innocents also die, and while it's unfortunate, the insistence that man should not be free has a much higher cost.

Faith is definitely telling others how they should practice their own faith.

and good for you for donating. I mean that.  But why can’t we do something meaningful like not make it easy for a country club to become a battlefield?

I'm all for that may man. Finally some common ground. 

And I apologize. I came in hot because I’m sick of hearing about this every week and nothing being done.  Why can’t you go to church without packing heat?  This really is where we’re at?

and let’s be honest.  Since we’re Bills fans, we’re all idiots. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I came in hot because I’m sick of hearing about this every week and nothing being done.  Why can’t you go to church without packing heat?  This really is where we’re at?

and let’s be honest.  Since we’re Bills fans, we’re all idiots. 

But we persevere because that's what we do ?

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And I totally agree with this.  But when do you at least try to make it stop?  

As I said elsewhere, I have questions but no answers. If I had to throw in one suggestion, I would say that mental health spending been has been severely cut since the economic meltdown, or at least it was in Florida. We have a friend who ran the mental health unit of a significant hospital who as much as predicted this kind of thing. It’s not “fun” or “glitzy”, and its hard to measure success. But it is sorely needed! 

Edited by Augie

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re, not your idiot.  But you hurt me by saying you didn’t like me. ? This is how it all starts. 

That’s fine. Even thought I fear someone like  you may become offended and end up going postal on someone at any given time, I find comfort in being a lawful gun owner. When the time comes I will be happy to save the lives of others. Even people like yourself that don’t belive in owning guns, I will save you too. Because I am not a scumbag criminal that will always find a way to hurt others, no matter how I must do it. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

***** yeah. This argument.  Then we go back to 300 yr old script which doesn't protect free speech on the internet or radio or tv. Not what they had in mind

Doesn't protect homosexual rights, black rights, and back to that whole 3/5's thing.  White power! Hot shower.

Miranda rights!  ***** those!  By 4th!!!

Due process!  Yep, hang'm high or float them to see if they're a witch!  Just like we did to Kavanaugh!

That whole federal government gets unlimited power, too.  Bye 10th.

And the 17th, Congress!  That's the best. I really want it gone.

The 11th would be great because we don't really need to explain that someone from another country needs definitions on suining the US. The Prague would be up our butt so comfortably, mmm!

El oh El the 21st. No more table slams.

Come in brah, can you even argue?  Or do you just stick to Rachel Maddow talking points?

And, almighty man. What the hell do you propose?  Your self virtue is showing. It's tucked right there in your lady shorts.

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

***** that, El Salvador man.  They can put you to death for 1 conviction.

Go hard or go home.  Work on your knowledge base before you argue.

And we cannot work on mental health issues by taking away guns. Because... Well, it's over your head.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hunting is not a joke of a sport.  You've never been in such poverty as someone who relies on it to feed their family. I know 4 people in my neighborhood that do.  It's also a sport.  But, hey, you can think that. Tasker is a girl who thinks golf is a sport.

Edited by Boyst62
  • Haha (+1) 1

......and, this is productive how, exactly? Feel free to carry on, and I have no idea what the standards are and how they apply here, but there is a lack of focus on the actual tragedy here by many. They have more invested in their agendas. That’s sad. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

......and, this is productive how, exactly? Feel free to carry on, and I have no idea what the standards are and how they apply here, but there is a lack of focus on the actual tragedy here by many. They have more invested in their agendas. That’s sad. 

Well, as Biscuit decided thoughts and prayers go no where. So we need to work it out...

But, your point is obvious.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Did you know the second largest mass killing in this country was a bombing like 80 yrs ago at a school?  And more people are killed by knives than guns?

Just popping in to respond to a fellow agriculturalist and law abiding firearm owner: I think your bolded is referring to yearly FBI murder statistics that typically find more people are killed by knives than rifles, not guns or firearms in general. It's a fairly common misconception. 'Guns' are still responsible for the vast majority of murders in the US. For reference the 2016 study-

image.thumb.png.542535efc5613e9ef9e1fdcfe8a75da5.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Just popping in to respond to a fellow agriculturalist and law abiding firearm owner: I think your bolded is referring to yearly FBI murder statistics that typically find more people are killed by knives than rifles, not guns or firearms in general. It's a fairly common misconception. 'Guns' are still responsible for the vast majority of murders in the US. For reference the 2016 study-

It was semi automatic rifles or something. ***** eh. Now I can't remember. The reference is so tired that I can't remember it.

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

WOW! A gun of SOME type makes up 5 of the top 9 categories? That’s amazing!  That is 11,004 for some type of gun for first place, vs 1,604 for knives or other cutting instruments in a distant second place. I’m NOT passing judgment as I don’t want to go down that road, but I wonder who decided to spread that out over so many categories. Watering it down it bit, it seems. 

Edited by Augie

30 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

***** yeah. This argument.  Then we go back to 300 yr old script which doesn't protect free speech on the internet or radio or tv. Not what they had in mind

Doesn't protect homosexual rights, black rights, and back to that whole 3/5's thing.  White power! Hot shower.

Due process!  Yep, hang'm high or float them to see if they're a witch!  Just like we did to Kavanaugh!

The 11th would be great because we don't really need to explain that someone from another country needs definitions on suining the US. The Prague would be up our butt so comfortably, mmm!

El oh El the 21st. No more table slams.

Come in brah, can you even argue?  Or do you just stick to Rachel Maddow talking points?

And, almighty man. What the hell do you propose?  Your self virtue is showing. It's tucked right there in your lady shorts.

***** that, El Salvador man.  They can put you to death for 1 conviction.

Go hard or go home.  Work on your knowledge base before you argue.

And we cannot work on mental health issues by taking away guns. Because... Well, it's over your head.

Hunting is not a joke of a sport.  You've never been in such poverty as someone who relies on it to feed their family. I know 4 people in my neighborhood that do.  It's also a sport.  But, hey, you can think that. Tasker is a girl who thinks golf is a sport.

Even though I disagree with you a lot of the time, I always respect your opinion.  And if people are truly hunting to feed their family, my apologies.  Squirrel is gamey.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Can you please ask about ativan...the VA is changing in positive ways these days...clinical visits are no longer demanded to fill scripts...mine are transferred directly to my primary.Good luck brother,pm anytime if you want to talk.

Peace.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

WOW! A gun of SOME type makes up 5 of the top 9 categories? That’s amazing!  That is 11,004 for some type of gun for first place, vs 1,604 for guns or other cutting instruments in second place. I’m NOT passing judgment as I don’t want to go down that road, but I wonder who decided to spread that out over so many categories. Watering it down it bit, it seems. 

My guess is that it's simply a product of how murder statistics (and many others pertaining to sociolpolitical trends as fodder for the guys paid to study them) are compiled vis a vis police reports. I doubt they're an attempt to dilute the degree to which firearms contribute to murder in the US, even though cursory inspections might yield such conclusions.

40 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It was semi automatic rifles or something. ***** eh. Now I can't remember. The reference is so tired that I can't remember it.

How about adding to it the fact that the cities with the strictest gun laws have the most crimes committed with guns. NYC, LA, Chicago, the list goes on and on. Somehow criminals in those cities keep getting guns. Funny how that happens. I know tho, no need for anyone to comment, just need to ban guns in nearby by areas and it will fix it all. 

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Let’s not forget that the 2nd amendment wasn’t there for hunting and sport. It is in place to Defend against a tyrannical government like our founding fathers did. 

“A well regulated militia, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed”

if you hold this true, we no longer as citizens have the ability to fight a tyrannical government as we don’t have access to things like missles, bombs, tanks, planes, etc... but that doesn’t change the reason it was put into place.