College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

As a Bills fan, I think I look forward to the start of college basketball almost as much as Christmas. By this time I’m usually looking for any kind of a win. Xavier plays their first game tonight against Ewy-Pooey. It feel SO GOOD to go into a game feeling like “we’ve got this”. It may be a rough season for our guys with huge turnover, including a new coach, but it still feels better than the Bills season! 

I know there’s a Syracuse thread, but I love all of college basketball! (The NBA? Not so much...as my son said after we plunked down about $400 on tix a few years ago “they’re not even TRYING!”) I get up to Cincinnati almost every year for a home game and make the trip if they play anywhere close. The last several years I’ve gone to at least the first round of the NCAA tournament in March. The Bills are my first love....but they make it so stinking hard

Who’s your team? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

As a Bills fan, I think I look forward to the start of college basketball almost as much as Christmas. By this time I’m usually looking for any kind of a win. Xavier plays their first game tonight against Ewy-Pooey. It feel SO GOOD to go into a game feeling like “we’ve got this”. It may be a rough season for our guys with huge turnover, including a new coach, but it still feels better than the Bills season! 

I know there’s a Syracuse thread, but I love all of college basketball! (The NBA? Not so much...as my son said after we plunked down about $400 on tix a few years ago “they’re not even TRYING!”) I get up to Cincinnati almost every year, and the last several years I’ve gone to at least the first round of the NCAA tournament in March. The Bills are my first love....but they make it so hard

Who’s your team? 

Kirby encourages you to follow Canisius. He is very familiar with the program and the players. The league they play in is a guard oriented league. Their coach, Witherspoon, a former coach of UB has done a good job in recruiting and making the team one of the better teams in the league. 

Although I don't live in the area I root for the home teams including UB, Niagara and Bona. Would love to see them get a local tournament going at Key Bank Center. 

Following the Bills has been exhausting and depleting. I'm now more enthusiastic about the Sabres than the Bills. I'm sorry to say that but my level of interest still exist but is waning with this football team. In addition, the standard in interaction when discussing the Bills has declined. 

I like good games

kinda brutal when top teams square off against each other and put losses on their record and keep them lower in the polls than mid majors who never play a real opponent all season

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I like good games

kinda brutal when top teams square off against each other and put losses on their record and keep them lower in the polls than mid majors who never play a real opponent all season

It’s tough for a good mid-major to get a top school. Like Alabama football, you have to play them at their place, and it’s almost impossible to get even a home and home. I don’t think of Xavier as a mid-major anymore, but they can’t get a blue blood to “stoop” to traveling to Cincinnati on a home and home. At the same time, we ignore Dayton for a variety of reasons, so I get it. 

Top teams usually square off in “required” conference play. The ACC is tough, and there’s just no way around that. We won the Big East regular season last year, but two games against ‘Nova is always rough! 

The tournament in Hawaii this year will have a really good field of teams, so I guess that’s one good way to test your team. 

26 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Admittely I really don’t have a team per say.  During the tournament I like though to root for the underdogs.  Buffalo was exciting last year

The underdogs that first weekend of the tourney (and beyond) may be the best thing in all of sports! 

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Will we find out how much Coach K paid Zion Williamson or will ESPN and Dickie V fellate him all season long ?

My B-I-L had kids at the same school as Zion the last few years. He came to a pool party at their house on Prom night. Parents showed up to be sure it was a better environment than the first party he tried. Supposed to be an awesome family! Having said that.......who knows? 

Dickie V lived in Sarasota where we spent 18 years. Have mutual friends, but he’s.....somewhere near Gruden on my list of “non-favorites”. 

When is the “one and done” rule going to be tossed to the curb?  In the first game of the year, I turn on Duke v Kentucky game and within 5 minutes there was a graphic about how numerous freshman players in the game will be top 10 picks.  It ruins the game of college basketball for me.  Just let these kids go pro right from high school and leave the spots on college teams open for guys who want to be there for 3 or 4 years. 

I remember when Duke was a program where no one had ever left early for the NBA. 

What a joke it continues to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s tough for a good mid-major to get a top school. Like Alabama football, you have to play them at their place, and it’s almost impossible to get even a home and home. I don’t think of Xavier as a mid-major anymore, but they can’t get a blue blood to “stoop” to traveling to Cincinnati on a home and home. At the same time, we ignore Dayton for a variety of reasons, so I get it. 

Top teams usually square off in “required” conference play. The ACC is tough, and there’s just no way around that. We won the Big East regular season last year, but two games against ‘Nova is always rough! 

The tournament in Hawaii this year will have a really good field of teams, so I guess that’s one good way to test your team. 

a few years ago Gonzaga sailed from December 1 right to the NCAA championship game without playing a decent team the whole time

the other half of the bracket had many good teams with history in the eyes of every fan, making it a total mockery

you face good teams in the November clashes and the holiday tournies

it's just that two top teams have a loss now, which will hurt them in seeding for the big dance

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

When is the “one and done” rule going to be tossed to the curb?  In the first game of the year, I turn on Duke v Kentucky game and within 5 minutes there was a graphic about how numerous freshman players in the game will be top 10 picks.  It ruins the game of college basketball for me.  Just let these kids go pro right from high school and leave the spots on college teams open for guys who want to be there for 3 or 4 years. 

I remember when Duke was a program where no one had ever left early for the NBA. 

What a joke it continues to be. 

I grew up watching top players go 3 or 4 years, so you knew them and you knew the team and it meant something, and then they went to the NBA and all of them were ready to start and dominate from day one

now I watch and there is rarely more than 2 players that stand out of the hundreds that will be on the screen

there is no context except coaching personality, which i could not possibly give less of a crap about

Edited by row_33

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Does Syracuse have a team?   ?

This is about the rest of the college hoops world! It’s real! 

It was a joke. Since you actually mentioned the Syracuse thread I thought I’d make the point that Syracuse IS college basketball ☺️

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It was a joke. Since you actually mentioned the Syracuse thread I thought I’d make the point that Syracuse IS college basketball ☺️

Good luck to your team this year, it helps take some of the sting of the Bills season away for me! 

i'm a bc guy, and i think the outlook is pretty bleak again this year.  if they had been able to keep the team together, they likely would have been a preseason top 25.  one kid went to the pros, and another transferred, (i think) so back to square one.  right now i can't look beyond the beat down the football team is going to get from clemson this weekend.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i'm a bc guy, and i think the outlook is pretty bleak again this year.  if they had been able to keep the team together, they likely would have been a preseason top 25.  one kid went to the pros, and another transferred, (i think) so back to square one.  right now i can't look beyond the beat down the football team is going to get from clemson this weekend.

Clemson may put up a basketball style score on you. Didn’t they have 77 last week? Yes, be VERY afraid! 

1 hour ago, teef said:

Jared Dudley was cool