John Wawrow on the QB situation

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Since 2010 the Bills have had 33 5th rd picks plus. 

Matt Milano is the only one in that 8 years that showed anything.

I may even give you Karlos Williams for that one year.

Thats what a 5% success rate? 

2018 4th round - Taron Johnson

2017 5th round - Matt Milano

2017 5th round - Nathan Peterman (dude's gonna be in the record books for pic 6s)

2016 5th round - Jonathan Williams

2015 5th round - Karlos Williams

2015 6th round - Nick O'Leary (He's a damn good player and should not have been cut, I know 6th rounder but this was messed up)

2006 5th round - Kyle Williams (He's the only player left on the team from this draft)

2003 4th round - Terrence McGee and Sam Aiken

We can go back further: 

1993 5th round - Mike Devlin

1992 5th round - Matt Darby

Might also be worth mentioning that Andre Reed was a 4th round pick, Thurman was a 2nd round pick, John Kidd was a 5th round pick, Paul Warfield was a 4th round pick, heck in 1987 the great Gary Anderson was a 7th round pick, sure the Bills let him go but he went on to a great career with the Steelers and then later with Minnesota and finished in 2003 or 2004. but there's some good players that the Bills have taken in that 4/5th round area.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

The love affair is political. It has nothing to do with a rational evaluation of his actual football talent.

His last season as a starter, he played for a god awful team and if you extrapolated his numbers for a 16 game season, he would have finished with roughly 4,300 yards, 29 TDs, and 6 or 7 INTs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

At the press conference.  "Yeah, I know Brandon [Beane] is always looking at the different options available to us. So, we'll leave it at that."

Typical BS. 

Thanks.  I kindof figured if he were asked he would make some long convoluted answer full of cliches sounding like a Management Consultant and mention "THE PROCESS" 3 or 4 times.

Edited by reddogblitz

I got a number of folks riled up, apparently. I am not addressing whether Kaepernick is better than Peterman or Anderson. My next door neighbor's dog is arguably better than poor Nate Peterman. I spoke to the inordinate attention given to a player I personally judge to be not a starter level NFL qb. The attention given to him nationally has much to do with his media image and what he stands for ideologically. Nike didn't sign him to do a commercial because of his playing ability. If some of you fellas want him to play for the Bills, more power to you. Regardless of his numbers during his last stint as a player, I believe he is not worth the headache. No one is going to rescue this season. Allen will improve (I think he can given adequate players around him and competent coaching) or the next regime will be drafting his replacement. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you think that's worked out for Denver, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Denver's 3-5. Whereas last year at this point they were 3-5.

Last year they were the 13th ranked offense and this year they've moved to 17th.

Yeah, "Keenum only has 10 TDs, but that's more than Manning, Prescott, Smith, Mayfield ..." But he also had 10 INTs which is less than  ... nobody. Darnold and Winston have tied him at 10 and everybody else has fewer. Keenum's 10 TDs put him on track to beat Denver's last year's total of 19 by one. He has racked up more yards but he's got a passer rating of 83.0. Last year the Broncos put up an 84.5.

And while it's possible Case Keenum might have signed with Buffalo, is it likely? To a team that was obviously going to draft someone and had a receiver corps like ours?

If you think Denver would be doing as well this year with Trevor Siemian, I'm not sure what to say.

Yes Keenum has 10 ints half way though the season (on pace to have fewer than the collective had last season (22).  He is on pace to pass for more yards and TDs then last year.

Is he tearing up the AFCW?  No, but he's been pretty solid, just having arrived there, and will be an improvement over what he replaced. 

Keenum signed a 2 year deal.  He knows what he is a this point.  I bet he was sure the Broncos (like Buffalo)  would be drafting a QB in the first round as well and he would be the vet starter until the top 5 pick was ready.  But he didn't count on the above average stupidity of John Elway.

So yeah, if offered a better 2 year deal in Buffalo, I bet he would have taken it.  He's been around a while and he needs to max his earnings in the few years he has left in the league.

1 hour ago, 87168 said:

please. speak for yourself. his stats and resume speak volumes.

the disdain for this man, however, "is  political. It has nothing to do with a rational evaluation of his actual football talent."

the Bills have signed Nathan Peterman, Derek Anderson, and now Matt Barkley. do we really want o discuss talent evaluation?

Sure does....  took a seat on the bench in lieu of Blane Gabbert long before he took a knee. 

He’s a good runner, bad QB, great self promoter. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I got a number of folks riled up, apparently. I am not addressing whether Kaepernick is better than Peterman or Anderson. My next door neighbor's dog is arguably better than poor Nate Peterman. I spoke to the inordinate attention given to a player I personally judge to be not a starter level NFL qb. The attention given to him nationally has much to do with his media image and what he stands for ideologically. Nike didn't sign him to do a commercial because of his playing ability. If some of you fellas want him to play for the Bills, more power to you. Regardless of his numbers during his last stint as a player, I believe he is not worth the headache. No one is going to rescue this season. Allen will improve (I think he can given adequate players around him and competent coaching) or the next regime will be drafting his replacement. 

I think he is a Fitz or a Tyrod he is in that range of the 25th-35th best Quarterback in (or not in) the NFL. If the Bills were trying really hard to win this season I could see the benefit of gambling on him and taking the attention. When we are clearly not I see no benefit at all.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a Fitz or a Tyrod he is in that range of the 25th-35th best Quarterback in (or not in) the NFL. If the Bills were trying really hard to win this season I could see the benefit of gambling on him and taking the attention. When we are clearly not I see no benefit at all.

I think it's sad that some Bills fans have gone from playoff euphoria last year to not just accepting losing, but embracing it this season. Seems odd to me.  Certainly not the way I was football raised.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe they signed him because he was willing to wear them to a press conference and get fined creating all sorts of free publicity? 

He is pretty good at conspicuous protesting   

Being the starting QB on a SB team will have marketers crawling out of the woodwork to sign you to an endorsement contract.

He's also really good at football.

Edited by reddogblitz

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I think it's sad that some Bills fans have gone from playoff euphoria last year to not just accepting losing, but embracing it this season. Seems odd to me.  Certainly not the way I was football raised.

Being the starting QB on a SB team will have marketers crawling out of the woodwork to sign you to an endorsement contract.

He's also really good at football.

No he’s not. Blane Gabbert isn’t really good at football and ate his lunch.

He’s Tim Tebow at football 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No he’s not. Blane Gabbert isn’t really good at football and ate his lunch.

He’s Tim Tebow at football 

That's your opinion.   You have yours, I have mine.

The decision to start Gabbert over Colin was based on contract, not talent.  Once they got that straightened out, he started.

In his final season in 11 starts he passed for 2241 yards and ran for 468 yards.  He threw 16 TDs and 4 picks with a 90.8 rating.  You're right, that sucks.  We have guys that can do better right now. Right?

We signed Barkley and Anderson who are turn over machines and also haven't played in a couple of years. How does that make any sense if you're trying to win?  Evidently we are not which is sad.

Edited by reddogblitz

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is easy:

How about "yeah, outbid Elway for Keenum".

or:

"was it wise to get rid of TT when your plan was to sit Allen behind a starting QB?"

Or:

"Kaepernick too much for Mr. Pegula to handle?"

What's the issue here?  That the press can't ask a question unless they have a followup?  I mean who hasn't asked about Bridgewater, TT, AJM already in this context?

You are one of my favorite posters on this site!!

Edited by the skycap

16 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

That's your opinion.   You have yours, I have mine.

The decision to start Gabbert over Colin was based on contract, not talent.  Once they got that straightened out, he started.

In his final season in 11 starts he passed for 2241 yards and ran for 468 yards.  He threw 16 TDs and 4 picks with a 90.8 rating.  You're right, that sucks.  We have guys that can do better right now. Right?

We signed Barkley and Anderson who are turn over machines and also haven't played in a couple of years. How does that make any sense if you're trying to win?  Evidently we are not which is sad.

If you’re trying to win don’t look at the guy who lost 10 of his 11 last starts...

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I edited my post to address that while you were posting.  I explain it there.

Sorry facts don’t fit the narrative.  Yeah he was ostracized for not relinquishing his side show, but he’s not a starting caliber nfl QB. No one misses him on the field And his most prominent Moment in the nfl was off of it. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood