Opposing Fan Ettiquete

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams? Trash talking is part of the fun of being a fan of the sport, but how far is too far? 

The reason I ask is because I was at the Debacle in Houston. I'll admit I'm a loud fan. Yelling on defense, getting excited when we do good, and angry when we play bad. But I've never been disrespectful, and keep foul language to a minimum. Some Texans fans were annoyed by how loud I was when the Bills were on defense, and after the pick six, decided to grab me by the shoulders and violently shake me. I wasn't hurt or anything, but that obviously crossed the line. 

Really, I never even got mad at the Texans, just at the Bills. 

since your not a QB a little violent shaking never hurt anyone ;)

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I find that the exact opposite tends to work.

Whenever I've gone to opposing venues, I start out by buying beers for the two people flanking my seat(s).  Usually, I introduce myself and say something like "I gotta warn you, I'm pretty loud, but I promise to be respectful and not use profanity".

Never even came close to having an incident.  In fact, people seem to go out of their way to be friendly to me.

you'd get clocked at Eagles or Giants game for less than that

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I find that the exact opposite tends to work.

Whenever I've gone to opposing venues, I start out by buying beers for the two people flanking my seat(s).  Usually, I introduce myself and say something like "I gotta warn you, I'm pretty loud, but I promise to be respectful and not use profanity".

Never even came close to having an incident.  In fact, people seem to go out of their way to be friendly to me.

They see your muscles : D

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Haven't been.

I've been to San Diego, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Miami, and Baltimore without any kind of incident at all.

thanks for making it all about you

do people tell you this a lot?

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams?

It's 2018, that line was blurred decades ago with the invention of the internet.....maybe you haven't heard of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Patriots fans have a problem with standing for the entire offensive series. You can tell them to sit down nicely but that never works. In the end it always gets physical.

I am the type of person who will dump a beer on you or flip your cap off your head before I get physical. 

Well, technically that IS physical, so are you saying you want to get punched first?  

I sat next to a young Jets fan once who was barely old enough to drink beer, but not nearly old enough to be able to handle it. He was pretty obnoxious when things were going poorly for the Bills, but you could tell he was a nice enough kid. I told him I was fine with his behavior, but we would NOT be good if I get hit by any of the beer that was dumped on him. He thought I was kidding. When he realized this was NOT a joke, he sobered up a bit....

That line moves depending on what stadium you are in and the type of people around you but I think a lot of it is the vibe you give off.  If you are only yelling and angry, the people around you will probably feel the same way toward you, after all, you are an enemy in their house that day.  If you come across as happy and make it a point early on to connect with the other fans around you on a human level rather than just as fans of opposing teams, they are more likely to return that same attitude to you.  Engaging with and even respectfully joking around with them early on about their team, city and/or life in general will probably buy you more leeway later on.

No matter what you do, it's never OK for anyone to put their hands on you or anyone else though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Well, technically that IS physical, so are you saying you want to get punched first?  

I sat next to a young Jets fan once who was barely old enough to drink beer, but not nearly old enough to be able to handle it. He was pretty obnoxious when things were going poorly for the Bills, but you could tell he was a nice enough kid. I told him I was fine with his behavior, but we would NOT be good if I get hit by any of the beer that was dumped on him. He thought I was kidding. When he realized this was NOT a joke, he sobered up a bit....

I alway ask nicely 3 times. There is nothing wrong with getting punched 1st, because if they punch 1st your in self defense mode.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes this can happen, but it shouldn't.  I've encountered plenty of annoying/rude opposing fans in my days as a sports fan, but never thought to physically assault them.  Ignore it if you can, but if you can't inform security.

There also is such a thing as not being so boisterous to the point of being obnoxious when you're the visiting fan.  Cheer for your team, but keep it classy and respectful.  Or else you're just asking for some nut-job to punch you in the face. 

A good friend had a husband (he passed from brain Cancer years ago) that was a Raiders fan and she is a Bills fan. They went to a Bills game together and he got his hat knocked off in the bathroom and shirt torn and then his hat flushed by a bunch of Bills fans. She said she will never go to the game again but watched every Sunday on TV. That is way too far.

A few years back I was in Jersey on the Thursday night we had the color rush game. The Jets fans in the hall were harassing me about Rex and I was giving it back to them about  the Amish Rifleman I believe. We shared a laugh and went back to our seats with our sausage hoagie. That was not too far. 

Some people can joke and others dont know when to stop. Pretty simple and Im guessing there is a slight chance VERY slight that alcohol could play a part in it all.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams? Trash talking is part of the fun of being a fan of the sport, but how far is too far? 

The reason I ask is because I was at the Debacle in Houston. I'll admit I'm a loud fan. Yelling on defense, getting excited when we do good, and angry when we play bad. But I've never been disrespectful, and keep foul language to a minimum. Some Texans fans were annoyed by how loud I was when the Bills were on defense, and after the pick six, decided to grab me by the shoulders and violently shake me. I wasn't hurt or anything, but that obviously crossed the line. 

Really, I never even got mad at the Texans, just at the Bills. 

You are normally excellent at social cues too. 

Real talk- not ok of them.

6 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

A good friend had a husband (he passed from brain Cancer years ago) that was a Raiders fan and she is a Bills fan. They went to a Bills game together and he got his hat knocked off in the bathroom and shirt torn and then his hat flushed by a bunch of Bills fans. She said she will never go to the game again but watched every Sunday on TV. That is way too far.

A few years back I was in Jersey on the Thursday night we had the color rush game. The Jets fans in the hall were harassing me about Rex and I was giving it back to them about  the Amish Rifleman I believe. We shared a laugh and went back to our seats with our sausage hoagie. That was not too far. 

Some people can joke and others dont know when to stop. Pretty simple and Im guessing there is a slight chance VERY slight that alcohol could play a part in it all.

Alcohol is the main reason for all this crap. I have noticed that the overwhelming response to saying " can you please sit down" is " go ***** yourself or shut up". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Alcohol is the main reason for all this crap. I have noticed that the overwhelming response to saying " can you please sit down" is " go ***** yourself or shut up". 

I don't drink. That said I realize I'm probably 1 of about 7 people there that don't. LOL. That said it is important for the sober of us to realize when to walk away or just diffuse the situation. The aggressor most likely has no clue how ignorant he or she is being. I'm there to enjoy the game and the fans around me.....

I was at a Syracuse v Auburn football game at the dome back in the 90’s, and Syracuse managed to pull off a huge upset over the Tigers.  I think we were unranked and they were top 10.  Auburn probably had 5-10 thousand fans there.

Anyway, we were walking out of the dome and a few Cuse fans started teasing an Auburn fan (a very large, muscular man...probably an Auburn student).  Probably not a great idea.   It was pretty gentle stuff...I believe there may have been someone who said “overrated” and “enjoy the ride back to Bama.”  Some things like that.  This guy turned around and approached the 3 people.  Looked like a man with his wife (I’d say mid 40’s), and another woman.  I was walking with two of my friends, and we all saw was about to happen.

So the Auburn fan walked right up to the most vocal woman who continued “chirping” at him as he got closer.  He walked up to her, kicked her dead in the lady parts as hard as he could, and then ran away down the hill.  The security guard who was in the parking booth saw the whole thing happen, and didn’t even say anything to the guy.

I have never witnessed anything like that in my life.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was at a Syracuse v Auburn football game at the dome back in the 90’s, and Syracuse managed to pull off a huge upset over the Tigers.  I think we were unranked and they were top 10.  Auburn probably had 5-10 thousand fans there.

Anyway, we were walking out of the dome and a few Cuse fans started teasing an Auburn fan (a very large, muscular man...probably an Auburn student).  Probably not a great idea.   It was pretty gentle stuff...I believe there may have been someone who said “overrated” and “enjoy the ride back to Bama.”  Some things like that.  This guy turned around and approached the 3 people.  Looked like a man with his wife (I’d say mid 40’s), and another woman.  I was walking with two of my friends, and we all saw was about to happen.

So the Auburn fan walked right up to the most vocal woman who continued “chirping” at him as he got closer.  He walked up to her, kicked her dead in the ***** as hard as he could, and then ran away down the hill.  The security guard who was in the parking booth saw the whole thing happen, and didn’t even say anything to the guy.

I have never witnessed anything like that in my life.

Auburn fans aren’t as classy as Bills fans. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I've encountered plenty of annoying/rude opposing fans in my days as a sports fan, but never thought to physically assault them.  Ignore it if you can, but if you can't inform security.

Does this train of thought apply to movie theaters as well? 

Igotchobutteredbucketofpopcornritehea