Peter King with Murph & Tasker Today: Bills' QB Situation is Lunacy

Fadingpain

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I firmly believe that Whaley did a better job than these guys. Those teams had WAY more talent. They just had Rex. I hold coaches to record and GMs to talent. The Bills had the 21st best point differential last year and went to the playoffs. They executed in close games. It is the complete opposite of the Ryan era. The Bills are well coached now (like they were with Marone).

They are the least talented roster in football and bungled the QB position in epic fashion. If Allen turns into a player it will mask the mistakes. If he doesn’t the failure will multiply. So far the Bills have have a historically bad offense. You don’t get credit for trading up for a project QB and then trading the vet because of Peterman. You don’t give your rookie QB this OL and these weapons. That is complete failure. 

No, 7 years with no playoffs to show for it is complete FAILURE. That's a bottom-line fact.

The book is far from closed on this regime, but one thing is for sure. After breaking the playoff drought, no one is in any trouble right now with Pegs over a 2-4 start, a bad loss in the last game, or a bad personnel decision... other than Peterman.

Edited by Rico

On 10/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Peterman had 2 very good preseasons. I can also hit a great bucket of balls, but once I get out on the course it gets ugly...its simple he doesn't have the arm strength to throw an NFL out. That alone should disqualify him from ever stepping on an NFL field.

Look at the video. Not only does he not have the arm. He let go of the ball after KB had already turned around. That can't happen in the NFL on a 4 yard hitch. Garbage coaching. Garbage play calling. And garbage execution. 

On 10/16/2018 at 5:32 PM, Fadingpain said:

"To trade your only slightly proven guy was a mistake and clearly if you look at this situation logically you would say that it's absolute lunacy that it's likely or even possible that in Week 7 of the NFL season, the starting QB for the rest of the season could be a guy they picked up off the street.  It's been a mismanaged position."

"This has turned into a disaster at the most important position in team sports."

From Hour 3 of One Bills Live today.

Starts 2 minutes into the hour.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-16-hr-3-one-bills-live

I was screaming this from the rooftops well before the season began...explaining how we had the worst, least experienced QB group in the league by miles!! 

Just as it was obvious to see the O-line was a weakness, or the WR's were a weakness, the QB position was clearly a trainwreck waiting to happen. But damn offseason hype makes everyone think that every move we make is somehow perfect, or that the best result is always going to happen no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Even with McCarron it would've been a mess, but at least it wasn't as awful as going into the season with only Allen & Peterman!

I'm not HC or pro-talent evaluator, but it was so frigging obvious, & that's why it's so maddening right now! And now we start off development of another QB on a horrible note, just like is typical in our franchise history, which points to yet another line of events which will only snowball downhill from here...

The offense sucks, we need a scapegoat, we fire the OC, we sign a vet who plays decent & divides the fanbase, leading to a "QB competition" going into next season, all while the coaches double down on the rookie they invested, possibly setting the franchise back even further if there's any failure, costing the HC their job, and starting another rebuilding process by the next coach who guts all the old regime's players, then spends the next couple drafts picking "his guys" to fill all the holes he just created.

No, I'm not all gloom & doom, rather this is just the obvious line of events that happens when crap like this occurs. We've seen it all before, and it's frustrating to see the early gears in motion so soon.

22 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He signed with the Jets as a FA in March 2018, and was traded to the Saints in August.  You have your timing wrong.

The premise is the same - he was available as a FA when the Bills were shopping for a QB and knew that they would be moving on from Tyrod.  Bridgewater was a way more promising option than McCarron , because the biggest issue with Bridgewater was his injury not his play.  You take the more talented option with more experience, even if the injury concern is there - where money is about equal.  I'm really surprised that he was so cheap to begin with, and it would have been a perfect situation for both the Bills and Bridgewater because the Bills were getting rid of their starter and wanted to draft a franchise QB and keep Peterman, who would both not have enough experience to warrant them as the only QBs on the roster.   McCarron was not a good option, and I never understood anyone getting excited about that signing - not really much in-game experience and not much to talk about when he did play. 

Maybe the Bills had their sights on Anderson for a long time, but this love affair with former Carolina personnel is a little overboard.  They need to be able to assess pro personnel better than just relying who they knew from Carolina - that well will dry up and it's not like it's that great to begin with.