Bills vs. Texans All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here is one of the many problems with “separation” stats. Joe B says Zay has two yards of separation, which he does, on the CB. But it is an accurate well timed pass. And of course he doesn’t have two yards of separation on the safety who is actually touching him before the ball is. Are you really going to say our WR had two yards of separation on a bullet right to him when he is interfered with (called or not?). 

Great stuff.  Thanks for taking the time to do this.  My take from the video clips:

*  Allen has a lot of things to work on as you would expect.

*  My first impression from watching the game that Allen threw the ball well seems confirmed.  IMO the most impressive throw was the one called back by penalty.  By all rights he should have been sacked on that play and even as he scrambled to his left the ONLY WR open downfield was KB and he threw nearly a perfect pass to hit him.  That play would have been a big momentum changer if it had stood IMO.

*  Looking at the clips here I don't see anyone running open more then 10 yards the field.  Clay was open on the 1st play but that was about 8 yards and McCoy was open on the helter skelter play but beyond that it seemed like our guys were covered. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is highly recommended if you have subscription access:

As each game goes by for Josh Allen, defenses are getting more and more film on his skills and how offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is having to scheme for the raw quarterback. Which is scary because the results thus far have been putrid.

The Bills offense currently ranks 32nd in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric and I don’t see it getting much better, even when Allen returns to the lineup. He left Sunday’s loss to the Texans in the third quarter with a right elbow injury that reportedly is to his ulnar collateral ligament. He is expected to get a second opinion.

Daboll has predominantly gone to half-field reads in every aspect of the passing game. He utilizes motion frequently to help Allen identify the coverage of man versus zone. Sometimes he will have Allen simply read whether the defense is in a one-high safety look or a two-high coverage. It’s a strategy that cannot be sustained long-term but, given the situation, is their best option.

Allen struggles to see the field and read coverages pre- to post-snap, and generally he lacks trust in his accuracy. All of those weaknesses have made the jobs of opposing defensive coordinators that much easier. If the Bills offense doesn’t get the coverage it expected, the chances of a play succeeding are slim.

This is exactly how the Steelers ran with Big Ben his rookie season turned out pretty well

4 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

This is exactly how the Steelers ran with Big Ben his rookie season turned out pretty well

In 2004 Big Ben was complemented by a good OL, a strong running game, and good WR corps none of which exists with the 2018 Buffalo Bills.  Beyond that Ben did not have as much of a learning curve as Allen coming out of Miami of Ohio.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

In 2004 Big Ben was complemented by a good OL, a strong running game, and good WR corps none of which exists with the 2018 Buffalo Bills.  Beyond that Ben did not have as much of a learning curve as Allen coming out of Miami of Ohio.

No but hew was limited still as a QB and was only reading and throwing to one side of the field since he came form a smaller school program.  I am fine with his development taking baby steps and doing this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/15/2018 at 6:30 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think his second was the best  the  cross body against the field . It's usually a no no but he made it with ease.

11 hours ago, colin said:

obviously our passing attack sucks, but im particularly disappointed with how horrible our running game has been 

lineman aren't great at drive blocking.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think his second was the best  the  cross body against the field . It's usually a no no but he made it with ease.

lineman aren't great at drive blocking.

Thirty yards on a frozen rope with ease. Kid can sling it. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a shame Zay doesn't runs a post route on this one and splits the cover 3, instead he runs to "coverage" for a bit and Allen hesitates for a second and gets sacked. Still he needs to throw the ball ahead of where Zay will be, a 50/50 ball or gain a little more time in the pocket. 

I can't see if Allen looks down to the pressure as many say he does. 

What say you?

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

so? a little progression here or am I crazy?

12 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

No but hew was limited still as a QB and was only reading and throwing to one side of the field since he came form a smaller school program.  I am fine with his development taking baby steps and doing this.

big ben was much,much more accomplished coming out of college.

19 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

*  Looking at the clips here I don't see anyone running open more then 10 yards the field.  Clay was open on the 1st play but that was about 8 yards and McCoy was open on the helter skelter play but beyond that it seemed like our guys were covered. 

Agree for the most part - though I did see quite a few plays where at least one guy was "NFL open" but I'm not sure Allen would've made the throw anyway. A lot of these guys are open if you time the throw right as well, but that's still asking a lot of a rookie project right away, but will be a test in due time.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:43 PM, Da webster guy said:

Good enough to beat Houston if we had reasonable special teams and average discipline to avoid penalties.

Josh would be 3-2 in his first NFL starts after playing only two seasons of big boy football in college.    Don't expect great from a rookie qb, just Good Enough.

Big Ben was 160 ypd average on 17 TD's and 11 picks his rookie year.  Similar teams too, great defense, not a lot of offensive genius helping him along the way.

That was having a solid OL, Bettis, Deuce Staley, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, and Randle El.