The blame lies squarely with the HC, FO & Refusal to build an Offense - Not Allen

49 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

No one's complaining about the result from last season. I'm certainly not. And this is a message board, not McCoach's Twitter feed, so I don't care what he thinks.  I was talking about how they were a really mediocre team that lucked into the playoffs.

This is a rebuild going nowhere.  They've misfired at the QB, spent a ton on defense, and still don't field anything resembling a modern offense. As to the thread subject, they've built nothing on offense and their major accomplishment has been the mere drafting of a QB in the 1st round.  That's it. Otherwise, in rebuild year 2, this is the lowest scoring team in the NFL through 6 weeks. Let that sink in and then tell me they're making progress. 

Now, cue the "rebuilds take time" mantra. Yeah, they do. They take a lot longer when the "process" is flawed from inception. 

I agree with the first bit. It wasn't even the best Bills team of the last 18 years. It doesn't mean they don't deserve credit for getting in - but they were not a really good team that is just a fact.

As for whether the process was flawed.... I don't know that I agree with that. I think the process was close to the right one. I think the player evaluation of some of the guys they have brought in is what is wrong. They still like Nate Peterman for some reason and there are a plethora of other evluation mistakes. Yes, they picked Tre White and Matt Milano and Taron Johnson. They deserve credit for that. But they also drafted Zay Jones and Peterman and traded for Benjamin and brought in Jordan Matthews and Jeremy Kerley and some questionable olinemen. 

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why the hate for Allen?  This staff & FO have done nothing to help Josh.  The playcalling and game plans are stuck in the 70's.  McDermott & McBeane have abandoned the offense and in their stupidity had Peterman as the starter and Allen's mentor.  Now they bring in another back-up with at least some experience, but little else.  

I watched yesterday and again Allen looked okay, but was playing against a stacked deck that this Bills organization is to blame for.  

BTW the two passes to KB were great along with that cross body to McCoy.  

Not much however one can do with coaches who refuse to acknowledge and have players or a system that wins games in today's NFL.

It is ALL about the management from the president of the Bills (K Pegula), to the GM, to the head coach, to the assistant coaches. They are failing in every way. In particular, the GM and head coach are very mediocre. They have made numerous bad decisions too many to list, but the bottom line is that the team is not progressing. Personnel decisions have been particularly bad Mr. Beane. What kind of organization puts out a QB like Peterman into NFL games when he is clearly not capable. This organization would prefer to lose with Peterman rather than hire a much better QB (Kaepernick) because of politics and non-football BS. This organization is seriously flawed. Here we go again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Remember how Nate Hackett was vilified when he ran the Bills offense?

It was very similar in what he had to do to dumb the game down for EJ.  Suddenly when Tuel & Lewis came in, the offense opened up.  

EJ averaged more yards passing than the other 2 qbs.  For as bad as EJ was, he averaged 197 yards passing per game.  That’s how bad this offense is!

40 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

this right here makes it completely logical to ignore the rest of your post.

You've made this determination after a third of a season.

I'm referring to the QB decision sequence McBeane have demonstrated:

1. Starting Peterman versus LA last year. 

2. Dealing McCarron for a song which meant:

3. Having an opening day depth chart of Peterman and Allen.

4. Peterman stepping all over himself in Week 1, leaving Allen the only option.

5. Not signing a veteran at all after Week 1.

6. Allen having to play before he's truly ready.

7. Peterman having to play by default yesterday.

I'm not closing the door in any way on Allen, but he's in way over his head at this point.  Doesn't remove the fact that everything else decision wise has been inept.

Edited by BillsVet

Bills made huge mistake starting the season with 2 completely inexperienced quarterbacks.  But also having just barely NFL capable receivers and an average at best Offensive line - I'm not sure what some of you are expecting.   I watched the Denver Broncos with an experienced QB and some of the best relievers in the league, get 2 different first down and goals and have to settle for 2 field goals in loss to Rams.  You have to be clicking on all cylinders to succeed in the NFL.   

6 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I prefer the Andy Reid approach myself. Not at all confident this team has the staff to build a high powered offense. I can’t understand how you go all in on a QB that everybody knows needs a year on the sidelines and then throw him out there with nothing. 

Defense is playing well and that’s all great and everything but all that emphasis should have been placed on building an offense first. I really like Josh Allen but I am afraid they are going to hurt his development by the choices they have made.

While I agree that what Andy Reid did for Mahomes was perfect for Mahomes given the roster and coaching staff available, Allen would likely still have the same raw struggles this year regardless, but just with players that put the support in supporting cast. I think people would be more upset if we did have a competent offense, because there are issues with Allen that a talented offense can't compensate for. Regardless of Reid's offensive background versus McD's defensive background (although I believe this to be a major contributing factor in QB development), Reid also has decades of experience as an HC over McD and has seen these threads play out in many different cases. But we really need to stop comparing things to Mahomes and Reid, because we don't have any of that nor is Allen Patrick Mahomes.

The kid needed development, whether that was starting his first year or not, but makes more sense to commit to an offense once they know with greater clarity, the QB they drafted, and how their defensive rebuild is progressing. I think they'll now look for players that fit a scheme and skill set that will be more designed for Allen's play style, strengths, and understanding of game fundamentals. Or at least that's my hope...

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

While I agree that what Andy Reid did for Mahomes was perfect for Mahomes given the roster and coaching staff available, Allen would likely still have the same raw struggles this year regardless, but just with players that put the support in supporting cast. I think people would be more upset if we did have a competent offense, because there are issues with Allen that a talented offense can't compensate for. Regardless of Reid's offensive background versus McD's defensive background (although I believe this to be a major contributing factor in QB development), Reid also has decades of experience as an HC over McD and has seen these threads play out in many different cases. But we really need to stop comparing things to Mahomes and Reid, because we don't have any of that nor is Allen Patrick Mahomes.

The kid needed development, whether that was starting his first year or not, but makes more sense to commit to an offense once they know with greater clarity, the QB they drafted, and how their defensive rebuild is progressing. I think they'll now look for players that fit a scheme and skill set that will be more designed for Allen's play style, strengths, and understanding of game fundamentals. Or at least that's my hope...

Good take. Sounds like a plan

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

No one's complaining about the result from last season. I'm certainly not. And this is a message board, not McCoach's Twitter feed, so I don't care what he thinks.  I was talking about how they were a really mediocre team that lucked into the playoffs.

This is a rebuild going nowhere.  They've misfired at the QB, spent a ton on defense, and still don't field anything resembling a modern offense. As to the thread subject, they've built nothing on offense and their major accomplishment has been the mere drafting of a QB in the 1st round.  That's it. Otherwise, in rebuild year 2, this is the lowest scoring team in the NFL through 6 weeks. Let that sink in and then tell me they're making progress. 

Now, cue the "rebuilds take time" mantra. Yeah, they do. They take a lot longer when the "process" is flawed from inception. 

They're making progress.

Whether you think so or not, this is a subjective conversation. We're not all going to agree. Unless we agree to disagree. I'm kool with that.

15 hours ago, Dopey said:

They're making progress.

Whether you think so or not, this is a subjective conversation. We're not all going to agree. Unless we agree to disagree. I'm kool with that.

Understood and agree to disagree. And I'm good with that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

And now the Allen injury watch begins and who will start Sunday.

McDermott has a no lose situation Sunday if Anderson starts and a vanilla offense as he was not ready to go deep in the playbook.

If Peterman starts it will all be to ensure he is just bad (his ceiling) vs. artrocious, abysmal, pathetic, overwhelmed, disastrous.......

On 10/15/2018 at 9:51 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree.......starting to think McDermott has too much power and too much say..........thinks he should be GM,HC & Personnel Director like his idol Andy.......does McBeane report TO him?...

Never hear from the GM. McDermott seems like he is the GM.

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Never hear from the GM. McDermott seems like he is the GM.

...maybe I'm WAAAAAY off base......but allegedly, McDermott idolizes Andy being from his tree......Andy is GM, HC AND Personnel Director in KC.......but other than his playoff record, those stripes are WELL EARNED.....if and a BIG IF McDermott thinks he should be in the same power wielding category as his idol, the neophyte needs some serious "attitude adjustment".....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy