Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

5 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Damn, you're right, didn't think it through 

Neither did she apparently

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2018/12/08/ocasio-cortez-for-2028-359210?nname=playbook&nid=0000014f-1646-d88f-a1cf-5f46b7bd0000&nrid=00000167-7a3f-d33b-a5f7-7e7f4cff0000&nlid=630318

PHOTOG: “You can’t even run for president for another six years.”

AOC: “No, not for a long time. Thank God. Although we’ve been joking that because the Equal Rights Amendment hasn’t been passed yet, the Constitution technically says he cannot run unless he’s 35. … So what we’ll do is we’ll force the Republican Party to pass the Equal Rights Amendment by threatening to run for president.”

PHOTOG: “That is awesome. All the people who say a literal interpretation of the Constitution is the only thing you should be paying attention to.” AOC: “Exactly, all those Constitutionalists, I will keep vigilance.”

-- NOTE: The Constitution does not say “he”. It says “any person.”

• Like (+1) 2

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, snafu said:

Shes not old enough. 

She's too old...…………………………………………...for Boyst.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Exactly.  Mitt Romney will have my vote is he runs as an independent.  I swear.

Running against Trump would certainly be the end of Romney's political career.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Running against Trump would certainly be the end of Romney's political career.

I doubt it.  He'd pry win Utah and definitely win a reelection there as a Senator.  It's the only conservative state that hasn't embraced Trump.

10 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

any republican running as a 3rd party would guarantee trump's defeat

any democrat running as a 3rd party would guarantee trump's re-election

Most likely correct, but think of this scenario:

The dems nominate one of their true lefties. A RINO like Kasich enters the race as an Independent. The moderate (shrinking, I know) arm of the dems vote for him along with a few R's. The vote gets split three ways with Trump coming out on top.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The dems nominate one of their true lefties. A RINO like Kasich enters the race as an Independent. The moderate (shrinking, I know) arm of the dems vote for him along with a few R's. The vote gets split three ways with Trump coming out on top.

In that scenario it is probable that such a 3rd party candidate could win enough Electoral Votes to prevent any candidate from reaching the magical 270, thus throwing the Election to the Democrat controlled House of Representatives

5 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Elizabeth Warren...ready to take your money and give to others being successful has no place in an Elizabeth Warren world.

My takeaway here is if you support Warren, you're too stupid or lazy to be successful on your own, and you need vile pigs like Warren to take from others so you don't have to do any work. 

Always playing to victims, always.  The disenfranchised now include individuals who bororwed ridiculous amounts of money to go to college and feel they should be forced to honor the bargain.  The problem is that lots of people will play the victim to dodge responsibility. 

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

In that scenario it is probable that such a 3rd party candidate could win enough Electoral Votes to prevent any candidate from reaching the magical 270, thus throwing the Election to the Democrat controlled House of Representatives

No, I just think with a very left dem nominee that enough of the dem moderates like Doc Brown would go for the RINO securing a Trump Electoral College victory. I'm thinking a Kasich might take 10-15% of the dem vote in states like PA while taking only 5% or so from Trump.

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

It's not about being factually correct, it's about being morally correct. Besides, she now self-identifies as a 35 year old.

AOC is battling Mad Maxine Waters for the title of dumbest person in congress

Edited by bilzfancy

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

From the Mitt Romney 2020 thread:

On 1/3/2019 at 6:40 PM, snafu said:

Sort of.

It would be one state-one vote.  All the reps from any particular state would need to choose one of the top three candidates.  So even a D-controlled House might not get a D President.  How funny would that be!  Then the V.P. would be selected by the Senate. in a straight member-for-member vote (likely an R V.P -- haha).

Like I said:  Chaos!

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Keep in mind that the House votes by state, and that each state gets one vote. The Democrats having a majority of seats may not matter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, snafu said:

From the Mitt Romney 2020 thread:

I'm familiar with how a Presidential election works in the Senate. 

But how does it work for a state like Pennsylvania or Michigan with an equal number of Republicans and Democrats?

Or for a state like Iowa or Arizona, where the Congressional delegation is a majority Democrat but whose Electoral Votes went Republican?

The congressional reps get together and choose. State by state.

Pennsylvania would have a tough time I suppose.  Arizona’s electoral votes wouldn’t matter, unless their congressional delegation decided to just vote with the way their EC votes went— but if every state did that, no progress would be made. 

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xii

11 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I'm familiar with how a Presidential election works in the Senate. 

But how does it work for a state like Pennsylvania or Michigan with an equal number of Republicans and Democrats?

Or for a state like Iowa or Arizona, where the Congressional delegation is a majority Democrat but whose Electoral Votes went Republican?

Edited by snafu

8 minutes ago, snafu said:

The congressional reps get together and choose. State by state.

Pennsylvania would have a tough time I suppose.  Arizona’s electoral votes wouldn’t matter, unless their congressional delegation decided to just vote with the way their EC votes went— but if every state did that, no progress would be made. 

Just because one party controls a majority of a state Congressional delegation does not guarantee the delegation would vote for that party's nominee

Assume Mitt Romney runs and wins the state of Utah.  If the Election went to the House, would Utah vote Trump or Romney?

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Correct. Which is why we'll likely see two "viable" third party candidates this time - one paid for by each party (under the radar). 

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Not necessarily true as I could see a centrist Democrat (like Joe Lieberman) taking enough votes from Independents who lean right who don't like Trump.  Same goes for a centrist Republican (like Larry Hogan) taking enough votes from Independents who lean left that don't approve of a far left candidate. 

21 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct. Which is why we'll likely see two "viable" third party candidates this time - one paid for by each party (under the radar). 

The Koch brothers will not back Trump in 2020...but if I recall correctly they didn't in 2016 either.

• Like (+1) 1