Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The main problem is other countries have similar tax rates even with a single payer system mostly because we spend significantly more on a strong national defense. 

Convincing people that a slight increase in taxes will save you money in the long run because you don't have to pay medical deductibles and copays is a tough sell.  We're not ready for it yet and may never be.

How is that a tough sell?

I don't get how telling people they'll pay less overall for the same service is a tough sell. 

32 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't get how telling people they'll pay less overall for the same service is a tough sell. 

Because this country was founded on an inherent distrust of government power. Full stop. 

Government is corrupt, lumbering and slow, and where innovation and common sense go to die — Americans don’t want to empower it to have even more control over our lives. 

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Because this country was founded on an inherent distrust of government power. Full stop. 

Government is corrupt, lumbering and slow, and where innovation and common sense go to die — Americans don’t want to empower it to have even more control over our lives. 

Polls show the vast majority of Americans support some sort of universal healthcare. 

38 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And because nobody believes that they'll pay less.

And if you look further down the road, businesses and jobs will be severely impacted (a) with the price controls that would need to be implemented, and (b) the removal of private health insurance .

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

Polls show the vast majority of Americans support some sort of universal healthcare. 

As we have discussed elsewhere, polls lie. Especially on policy issues where they are trying to manipulate sentiment or create the illusion of “people think it’s good to give government more power.”

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I agreed with slow Joe in Winslow in a football thread and now I agree with you. This week is a mess. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John Adams said:

I agreed with slow Joe in Winslow in a football thread and now I agree with you. This week is a mess. 

Buck up.  Depending on the way you look at it, this week will end (or next week will begin) with the Bills being 3 and oh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2020 Democrat articles.

THIS TYPE OF THINKING ALWAYS ENDS IN CATTLE CARS:  

Andrew Yang’s Climate Change Solution: Eliminate Cattle And Cars.

Also, I have a climate-change solution. It’s climate. It changes. Stop yapping about it.

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

No, polls showed that the majority of Americans favored Medicare for all until they found out that the elimination of private insurance was involved. They then hated it. Quit trying to manipulate and twist information to suit your agenda.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

No, polls showed that the majority of Americans favored Medicare for all until they found out that the elimination of private insurance was involved. They then hated it. Quit trying to manipulate and twist information to suit your agenda.

As we have discussed elsewhere, polls lie. Especially on policy issues where they are trying to manipulate sentiment or create the illusion of “people think it’s good to give government more power.”

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Some will pay more and some will pay less depending on their level of health needs.  That's already the case but it will be more pronounced.  It's a tough sell because you're overhauling a whole system that people are used to and a tax increase is never popular.

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I think it's around 40% when they include the caveat of your taxes will go up and you'll no longer have your private health insurance through work.

.....now Burned-Out has the Feds becoming "Howard Hanna Freebee"......SMH......it just never ends with these clowns.....

Bernie Sanders says ‘housing must be a right’ with $2.5 trillion plan

Includes national rent control, community land trust, and housing assistance as an entitlement

By Patrick Sisson Updated Sep 18, 2019, 1:19pm EDT

Sen. Bernie Sanders unveiled a sweeping $2.5 trillion housing plan, a bold and far-reaching agenda that includes national rent control, ending homelessness, and turning federal housing assistance into an entitlement.

He first outlined the plan in Nevada, a state hard-hit by the Great Recession and housing crisis, during a campaign stop in Las Vegas last Saturday, aiming to steer the debate over an issue of rising importance among Democratic voters, and perhaps make a mark in an early primary state, where talk of affordability and rising rents resonates strongly.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/16/20867424/democratic-debate-bernie-sanders-affordable-housing-plan

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Everything's been topsy-turvy since 2017.  Thanks, Trump!

...ABOUT DAMN TIME the staid, corrupt, "good 'ol boyz", "think tough but no bawls to say it gang", etc got turned upside down and inside out on their ugly head......how many times have "candidates" run on a "Washington outsider" campaign and then cozied up to the same damn comfy climate that they were allegedly (and fraudulently) against?...and  WE THE PEOPLE have been raped, pillaged and plundered by these 535 has been lawyers unemployable in the private sector, riding the Fed's Gravy Train ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE......DAMN RIGHT to thank Trump.......need more chlorine pronto for "The Swamp"....and your commentary is woefully sad.....