Hurricane Michael

T&C

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was a tropical depression only 3 days ago.  3 days ago.

They were talking about it gaining strength rapidly as it approached over the shallow and warm Gulf waters. This was one that was good to run away from, and there was enough warning. Heck, we left Hilton Head Island around midnight to get away from nasty Hugo and avoid some of the traffic. Unfortunately, we went to my in-laws rather my choice of locations, and they got absolutely clobbered just south of Charlotte. A tree in the kitchen, and another on my car. Oops! About 6 weeks without power or water there.

At our HHI house, barely a pine cone fell.   

• Like (+1) 1

Yet!  It is amazing all the sch*t people have laying around.  Was that a cooler a saw flying around.  LoL... Call Me anal rententive... But living in a hurricane zone... I would have My stuff squared away, heck, I dont even park My vehicles under trees in the fall!  LoL...

I guess it all depends on resources.  Understandable.  Glad I live 580 feet above sea level.  I am simply not a coastal person, too much responsibility.

Gotta have a plan.

Yet!  It is amazing all the sch*t people have laying around.  Was that a cooler a saw flying around.  LoL... Call Me anal rententive... But living in a hurricane zone... I would have My stuff squared away, heck, I dont even park My vehicles under trees in the fall!  LoL...

I guess it all depends on resources.  Understandable.  Glad I live 580 feet above sea level.  I am simply not a coastal person, too much responsibility.

Gotta have a plan.

If I weren’t so exhausted and technologically challenged, you would see the Monty Python “RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!” bit here. But I am, and I am, so..... 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

If I weren’t so exhausted and technologically challenged, you would see the Monty Python “RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!” bit here. But I am, and I am, so..... 

That's what Wife wanted to do this morning!  LoL...

I am still in BFLo... And had a basement ejector pump float sensor "blip" (too much soap in washing machine... Once again! /smh) today.  Had to talk My Wife thru it as the high water alarm is going off. LoL...

It's like GroundHog Day every time I travel alone.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Boom

So what do you do?  You've not had one valid response?

Cry on the internet and watch Anderson Cooper stand in a ditch?

Stock up on water, prepare your good and make sure you have a fighting chance?

Realize you moved to the coast of a gulf State and rethink life choices?

The storm is 3 days away - you respect the storm and you plan for everything.

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Big difference between CAT4 and CAT5.  CAT 4 is only like 10-20Mbps.  CAT5 is like 100Mbps.

Don't let facts get in the way of the 100 year hurricane we have not had since last month!

• Like (+1) 1

Last hurricane season (or maybe the one before?) good friends from FL ran away from what looked like a nasty one and came to stay with us in Atlanta. The family brought 4 cars because there a lot of them and a lot of cars to save.

As soon as the power returned down there they could tell from security cameras their house was fine. They wisely rented a trailer in Atlanta and pulled it behind one of the vehicles....filled with every gas can they could buy and fill in Georgia. That’s the only reason they got home. (For those uninitiated, when you lose power, stations can’t pump gas out of the ground - even if they have it -  so cars runs out.) They said it was painful, and a little scary, to be going by so many stranded people who saw all the gas cans they were carrying. Stop to pee? Someone guards the gas! They barely got all 4 cars home. 

27 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Proof?

Well it does seem like the weather is more severe then it used to be.  Droughts out west, it seems like there is at least one or two hurricanes every couple years that do major damage, hell here in WNY I still have my pool open, the kids were swimming in all week, temps were in the mid 80s.  Going to shut it down tonight as temps are supposed to fall into the low 50s over the weekend.  

Just now, Gordio said:

Well it does seem like the weather is more severe then it used to be.  Droughts out west, it seems like there is at least one or two hurricanes every couple years that do major damage, hell here in WNY I still have my pool open, the kids were swimming in all week, temps were in the mid 80s.  Going to shut it down tonight as temps are supposed to fall into the low 50s over the weekend.  

That's not proof.  That's just sensation.

And that is also due to the fact that we have the capability new technology to share all sorts of phenomenon regarding the weather. More accurate temperatures, more video proof, more everything. But historically there is no definitive backing to these claims. 

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's not proof.  That's just sensation.

And that is also due to the fact that we have the capability new technology to share all sorts of phenomenon regarding the weather. More accurate temperatures, more video proof, more everything. But historically there is no definitive backing to these claims. 

I agree with that somewhat, I am just telling you what I see.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Gordio said:

The politicization of the weather news has increased fears and chaos

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

Is it that the weather is more severe, or is it that there is an increase in population (using more resources, as well as having more buildings to house those people)? Towns/cities are larger and more condensed. People are building more near rivers/oceans. Less areas for water to escape. More water being used by people.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

You seem to be most affected by this "fear mongering" you keep talking like it's a thing. 

yes, when people act like anything that might happen will be the apocalypse, it is harmful.

12 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

So what do you do?  You've not had one valid response?

Cry on the internet and watch Anderson Cooper stand in a ditch?

Stock up on water, prepare your good and make sure you have a fighting chance?

Realize you moved to the coast of a gulf State and rethink life choices?

The storm is 3 days away - you respect the storm and you plan for everything.

Don't let facts get in the way of the 100 year hurricane we have not had since last month!

I probably have better chance handling a Cat 5 Hurricane on 3 days notice while also being prepared for said storm and I live over a 1,000 miles from the Coast and 580 feet above sea level.

I haven't reallt done anything special either... Just have a severe storm, tornado plan.

How many people don't have water on hand?  Food?  Etc...

11 minutes ago, KRC said:

Is it that the weather is more severe, or is it that there is an increase in population (using more resources, as well as having more buildings to house those people)? Towns/cities are larger and more condensed. People are building more near rivers/oceans. Less areas for water to escape. More water being used by people.

This! ^^^^

More people.  Less people are dieing. More News coverage.

Better infrastructure now.  But it's aging.

1926, 1928 'Canes when there were way less people in the Sticks:

Army_CoE_sign_Hoover_Dike.jpg

13 minutes ago, KRC said:

Weather and climate are entirely different things, too. People have no freaking clue when they discuss climate change and lump in weather phenomena. It shows their ignorance, unfortunately, which has been led by the likes of Captain Planet and ManBearPig.

I probably have better chance handling a Cat 5 Hurricane on 3 days notice while also being prepared for said storm and I live over a 1,000 miles from the Coast and 580 feet above sea level.

I haven't reallt done anything special either... Just have a severe storm, tornado plan.

How many people don't have water on hand?  Food?  Etc...

Funny you say this because in reality we rely too heavily on a home generator powered by NG. If the gas lines were stopped we would be without a lot of water and power.  Of course, we have spring heads and other things and could easily boil water, but my family hoards food, has two freezers full of beef that can be powered by generator and plans to install solar power are interested he works by 2020 as a backup/alt power source.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Weather and climate are entirely different things, too. People have no freaking clue when they discuss climate change and lump in weather phenomena. It shows their ignorance, unfortunately, which has been led by the likes of Captain Planet and ManBearPig.

Funny you say this because in reality we rely too heavily on a home generator powered by NG. If the gas lines were stopped we would be without a lot of water and power.  Of course, we have spring heads and other things and could easily boil water, but my family hoards food, has two freezers full of beef that can be powered by generator and plans to install solar power are interested he works by 2020 as a backup/alt power source.

Yes.  NG is nice, but not without its issues.  Off the grid has it's benefits.  What about a stand alone LP tank (of course hurricane ready).

Major note... Gotta protect those things from getting damaged, flooded.

Redundancy is the key!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes.  NG is nice, but not without its issues.  Off the grid has it's benefits.  What about a stand alone LP tank (of course hurricane ready).

Major note... Gotta protect those things from getting damaged, flooded.

Redundancy is the key!

I will do an LP tank on my house for the generator.  Parents have gas heat and water.  I'd consider it but I just did my HVAC and water heater in the last 2 yrs.  

I'd love to have a gas stove. And I hate the idea of having an LP tank. But in my case, where my house is laid it makes more sense. There's no flooding in the areas that we live, we are one of the highest points in the county

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I completely agree. Global warming cooling climate change people want to use anything to try to prove their apocalyptic predictions (that have been consistently wrong). The earth is warming. How much of it is because of our actions versus the normal warming-cooling cycles that have been happening since creation has yet to be determined. How much of it can be reversed also cannot be determined. It fills the coffers with a lot of money, though.

[Waits for the "settled science" comments]

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, KRC said:

I completely agree. Global warming cooling climate change people want to use anything to try to prove their apocalyptic predictions (that have been consistently wrong). The earth is warming. How much of it is because of our actions versus the normal warming-cooling cycles that have been happening since creation has yet to be determined. How much of it can be reversed also cannot be determined. It fills the coffers with a lot of money, though.

I totally agree.

Yet, how do We change the actions of people? As a group? It's like going to church.  How do the masses get the message without keeping them busy following, accepting simple rituals.

Also like the military.  How do You keep good order, avoid chaos, keep working toward a common goal without brainwashing them to be willing to die for just a piece of cloth? People aren't going to do what's right for the group and against their short-term interests on their own volition.  Well, most won't.

The world needs to work, needs good order. Many individuals get the message, but the masses need to be on the same page.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I totally agree.

Yet, how do We change the actions of people? As a group? It's like going to church.  How do the masses get the message without keeping them busy following, accepting simple rituals.

Also like the military.  How do You keep good order, avoid chaos, keep working toward a common goal without brainwashing them to be willing to die for just a piece of cloth? People aren't going to do what's right for the group and against their short-term interests on their own volition.  Well, most won't.

The world needs to work, needs good order. Many individuals get the message, but the masses need to be on the same page.

You are right that there needs to be a change in mindset. However, consistently wrong apocalyptic predictions only hurts the cause. People tune you out. 

No easy answers.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, KRC said:

You are right that there needs to be a change in mindset. However, consistently wrong apocalyptic predictions only hurts the cause. People tune you out. 

No easy answers.

i don't fear weather trauma in Toronto, although we have tornadoes and such a few hours away in Barrie and Ottawa regions a few times a decade

a storm that hit Florida recently was screamed/panicked/apocalypsed for a week as ""the end of all life as we know" and didn't pan out quite that bad

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KRC said:

Then you deny there is consensus and that it's not settled and people think you're an !@#$.

There is no reason we shouldn't recycle, reduce energy use when possible, and look for alternative fuels.  But dolts who believe an electric car is better than a gasoline need to stop the Kool aid. They're far worse for the environment than gasoline autos and that's not even an impact to climate change OR weather.  It's absurd when you get in these conversations with a tree hugging hippy

Edited by Boyst62
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Then you deny there is consensus and that it's not settled and people think you're an !@#$.

They thought that about me WELL before my opinion on global warming cooling climate change. ?

There is no reason we shouldn't recycle, reduce energy use when possible, and look for alternative fuels.  But dolts who believe an electric car are better than a gasoline need to stop the Kool aid. They're far worse for the environment than gasoline autos and that's not even an impact to climate change OR weather.  It's absurd when you get in these conversations with a tree hugging hippy

Agreed.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

There is no reason we shouldn't recycle, reduce energy use when possible, and look for alternative fuels.  But dolts who believe an electric car are better than a gasoline need to stop the Kool aid. They're far worse for the environment than gasoline autos and that's not even an impact to climate change OR weather.  It's absurd when you get in these conversations with a tree hugging hippy

all that matters is "who controls the narrative" on every issue, proof or truth is no match for this power

13 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

This was the second consecutive year Cayuga Creek went dry in Como Park,i don't recall that ever happening before.

hmm, aint that sumpthin. Growing up in the Falls, I played hockey and fished in/on Cayuga Creek...never knew there was another one in Erie County! 

https://mapcarta.com/22569418

BTW, the rain just starting here in Richmond. Listening to folks on TV here is exactly why people don't trust the media on these things anymore. Man, weather folks here want to act like the storm is still a hurricane and not just a rainstorm. 

Edited by plenzmd1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i don't fear weather trauma in Toronto, although we have tornadoes and such a few hours away in Barrie and Ottawa regions a few times a decade

a storm that hit Florida recently was screamed/panicked/apocalypsed for a week as ""the end of all life as we know" and didn't pan out quite that bad

exaggerate much mac? you sound worse then the media circus those here have been complaining about.

lives were lost and property damage that was expected from a cat 4.

sure, media has become intolerable, but it's not cool to take light of the destruction mother nature laid on the panhandle of florida and what ever it has left in its trail.

23 minutes ago, no name said:

exaggerate much mac? you sound worse then the media circus those here have been complaining about.

lives were lost and property damage that was expected from a cat 4.

sure, media has become intolerable, but it's not cool to take light of the destruction mother nature laid on the panhandle of florida and what ever it has left in its trail.

yes, i was to blame for it all.... 

the media pretending to hold on for dear life to a streetlight pole while two people casually walked by in the backgroud

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

I think Cleveland area ranks lowest in US for suffering weather calamity.   I would probably put S.Ontario & Lower Canada as on that list too... For N.America that is.

Why don't WE move to a more "auto insurance" premium model when it comes to stuff like this. Federally tax the regions that suffer weather related calamity more.  Make them kick in more.  Like having a bunch of teen drivers on Your policy.

There is a huge sucking sound when these storms hit.  Tax them.  

The weather data doesn't lie.  The insurance claims are all there!

Or:  At least make them pony up their natural resources.

A storm of this magnitude hasn’t hit the Florida panhandle since the late 1800’s.  Maybe the climate is <gulp> changing much more rapidly than it should naturally?

Why would all those scientists lie?  What is their end game?  

https://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/the-scientific-consensus-on-global-warming/

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

57 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A storm of this magnitude hasn’t hit the Florida panhandle since the late 1800’s.  Maybe the climate is <gulp> changing much more rapidly than it should naturally?

Why would all those scientists lie?  What is their end game?  

https://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/the-scientific-consensus-on-global-warming/

Does it really matter.  So, it's warming. Nobody is denying that.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

ExiledInIllinios is going to paying for some of that cleanup.

And gladly so!

We should all pitch in!

But don't change the rules in the middle of the game.

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We should all pitch in!

I'm not a big fan of cheesy beach motels or 25 dollar,made in Bangladesh t shirts that turn into a ripaway after a few washes....you must have boyst62 on your mind again. I'm hip up here next to lake erie...and my federal tax dollars are worth pennies...have you seen the federal deficit.....peace

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

This was the second consecutive year Cayuga Creek went dry in Como Park,i don't recall that ever happening before.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the dredging of the lake.