Hurricane Michael

T&C

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

Don't leave out bottled water, a big thing really... and the tomatoes down here have no flavor, they just look like tomatoes. There is a big cattle/cow industry down here.

Tomatoes pretty much everywhere are imposters! I go to a farmers market every Saturday in season, and buy more tomatoes than I can eat just because they are almost real? 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Tomatoes pretty much everywhere are imposters! I go to a farmers market every Saturday in season, and buy more tomatoes than I can eat just because they are almost real? 

Not sure what you mean here, but they are blah down here if commercially grown. Grow your own I say.

freakin power went..the explosion of generators kicking on every house but mine is the worst sound ever...then power comes back on in like 5 minutes and my brain does a little dance at the money I saved by not having a whole home genrator!!! Suckers! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Not sure what you mean here, but they are blah down here if commercially grown. Grow your own I say.

Mass produced tomatoes are almost devoid of the taste and pleasure of an actual tomato. I’ve tried growing my own, and followed the advice of neighbors who have done so successfully, but struck out for 4-5 years, so I give up. (My previously successful neighbor also failed last time.)  So I go the the farmers market with my Golden Retriever most Saturday mornings. It’s our standing outing, and I enjoy it. 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

freakin power went..the explosion of generators kicking on every house but mine is the worst sound ever...then power comes back on in like 5 minutes and my brain does a little dance at the money I saved by not having a whole home genrator!!! Suckers! 

You wouldn’t pay $25k for 3 minutes of inconvenience? How about 3 hours? Or 3 days? Or 3 weeks? 

Just kidding! REJOICE!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Mass produced tomatoes are almost devoid of the taste and pleasure of an actual tomato. I’ve tried growing my own, and followed the advice of neighbors who have done so successfully, but struck out for 4-5 years, so I give up. (My previously successful neighbor also failed last time.)  So I go the the farmers market with my Golden Retriever most Saturday mornings. It’s our standing outing, and I enjoy it. 

If you are ever around a place that sells Bonnie's plants... walmart home depot lowes... get a German Queen tomato plant, best one out there imo.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

If you are ever around a place that sells Bonnie's plants... walmart home depot lowes... get a German Queen tomato plant, best one out there imo.

Bugs. The bugs always kill me. Inside a pool cage, outside, no spray, HD spray, home made organic spray. I go the the Farmers Market.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, no name said:

exaggerate much mac? you sound worse then the media circus those here have been complaining about.

lives were lost and property damage that was expected from a cat 4.

sure, media has become intolerable, but it's not cool to take light of the destruction mother nature laid on the panhandle of florida and what ever it has left in its trail.

Maybe I should get started.

You live at the coast.

Had3 days to leave.

Didn't. You died.  

That's my sad poem for those who did not listen to the warning or use common sense.  But, beyond that, those whom passed: how many were a result of the hurricane vs bad decision making?  Someone hiding in their bathroom for safety and a tree crushed their house vs trying to cross a street that was flooded and being swept away?

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, but why is the climate changing as rapidly as it is?  The article states that the scientific community believes unequivocally that the change is anthropogenic.  It DOES matter because finding the root of the problem leads to the solution.

Weather is not climate. But why should facts matter to hysteria???‍♂️

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, but why is the climate changing as rapidly as it is?  The article states that the scientific community believes unequivocally that the change is anthropogenic.  It DOES matter because finding the root of the problem leads to the solution.

There's little doubt climate change occurs. It's occurred over many cycles throughout history. This is a period of warming, which exacerbates the kind of violent weather patterns experienced lately. There's good reason to believe human activity, specifically deforestation (imo), has contributed to the rate of change. You cannot introduce a variable like -32,000,000 acres/year^10 of rainforest into an equation as complicated as the biosphere without expecting some amount of disturbance. 

• Like (+1) 2

These storms have been always happening.  Just more people flocking to coasts.

Why give them an incentive to flock there.? Again, same happened with the land grab and bad farming practices prior to DustBowl  years.  There was a correction:  People moved.  They were forced to.

Why are we enabling more bad practices and giving incentives to move to areas (for sake of argument) we are effing up with the climate.

Okay... We are affecting the weather, now don't go there.  Keep the numbers low.  Yet, let's believe in some grand plan that we can magically fix everybody.

Sorry, it's called a "sacrifice zone."  Like living in a floodplain, fire zone, tornado alley, etc... Don't have stones to carry on, adapt... Don't expect everybody else to. Move, just like generations before did.  Those generations packed up and left.  They weren't giving an incentive to encourage more to come closer to the routine calamity.

Again, not trying to be a Dick.  Just see the writing on wall.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why give them an incentive to flock there.? Again, same happened with the land grab and bad farming practices prior to DustBowl  years.  There was a correction:  People moved.  They were forced to.

Why are we enabling more bad practices and giving incentives to move to areas (for sake of argument) we are effing up with the climate.

Okay... We are affecting the weather, now don't go there.  Keep the numbers low.  Yet, let's believe in some grand plan that we can magically fix everybody.

Sorry, it's called a "sacrifice zone."  Like living in a floodplain, fire zone, tornado alley, etc... Don't have stones to carry on, adapt... Don't expect everybody else to. Move, just like generations before did.  Those generations packed up and left.  They weren't giving an incentive to encourage more to come closer to the routine calamity.

Problem I see w/ this line of thinking (and I can't say I totally agree because I often feel similarly, but still...) is that you can take it to its logical conclusion regarding any number of issues, and it usually leads to absurdity. RE: you can't just stop treating illnesses because that would be 'enabling bad health'...laissez-faire attitudes are great in principle and feel good in practice but tend to not really work out in actuality, or have unintended consequences worse than the initial problem supposedly addressed. OK end political rant. Carry on gatekeeper :)

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Problem I see w/ this line of thinking (and I can't say I totally agree because I often feel similarly, but still...) is that you can take it to its logical conclusion regarding any number of issues, and it usually leads to absurdity. RE: you can't just stop treating illnesses because that would be 'enabling bad health'...laissez-faire attitudes are great in principle and feel good in practice but tend to not really work out in actuality, or have unintended consequences worse than the initial problem supposedly addressed. OK end political rant. Carry on gatekeeper :)

Yeah, true.  We we are talking sustainability here.  People can't keep pouring into these places with incentive to do so.

It would be like free farmland somebody in Oklahoma in 1933.  Then subsidizing their failed crops.  No.  You leave.

They are building structures on barrier islands.  I mean come on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah, true.  We we are talking sustainability here.  People can't keep pouring into these places with incentive to do so.

It would be like free farmland somebody in Oklahoma in 1933.  Then subsidizing their failed crops.  No.  You leave.

Exactly! What needs fixing are the policies and the folks who legislate/enact them, because in the end you unfortunately can't wholly rely on society's common sense and intuitiveness...need some sort of governing body to keep the peace and safety. Who knew, right?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Maybe I should get started.

You live at the coast.

Had3 days to leave.

Didn't. You died.  

That's my sad poem for those who did not listen to the warning or use common sense.  But, beyond that, those whom passed: how many were a result of the hurricane vs bad decision making?  Someone hiding in their bathroom for safety and a tree crushed their house vs trying to cross a street that was flooded and being swept away?

thanks.

this board is so fortunate to have a member the likes of you.

1 hour ago, no name said:

thanks.

this board is so fortunate to have a member the likes of you.

Many agree.  I'd like to tell everyone I appreciate them and their sentiments. The messages I receive, the flowers and sexts (mostly Kirby & Buffalo Joe) really drive it home.❤️❤️❤️

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did you stop smoking crack for a while?  Somehow I agree with a post you made.  What gives?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/11/2018 at 1:57 PM, row_33 said:

But my real science friends insist everything is just molecules colliding and we are insignificant in this universe.

One sure didn't feel that way after he caught his wife cheating on him.....

On 10/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

We're all just dust in the wind brother.

To quote another band, Blues Travelers:

Have you ever seen an atom
Little bits of everything floating by
Take a good look at them
Collectively they compose all you see including your eye

Sorry, no one is here to take Your call.  Customer Service is of the utmost important to US:

Remember our fellow AMERICAN CITIZENS in Puerto Rico.  Nut up Florida, We will get bacl to You in March

If You need immediate attention please leave Your Name & Number after the beep...

...beep

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Dear Mr. foster.  Quit yer bitchin'.  You made your choices and didn't make the choices necessary to protect your interests.

Having to cry because someone couldn't take care of him?  Sad.

Bizzaro World... I am in Your Camp.

Most of the time, I fight urge to be a Richard Head... ?

This is what gets Me.  It isn't rocket surgery, everybody knows this.  Like no freaking shiest Sherlock:

Watch "Mexico Beach Home Still Standing, Here’s Why"

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/mexico-beach-home-still-standing-heres-why?pl=pl-the-latest

Yet, wait a second douchebag doctor, not everybody is a zillionaire and can spend a million dollars building a hurricane proof house that they can watch from Tennessee. They have to make hard choices... Give You the ***** $$$$$ or build their house right.

Like We are supposed to be impressed?  What about the common slob this "doctor" is gouging money from?  I wonder what kind of doctor He is.  Yeah, save your life in a hurricane and sink the money building "right" or "save Your life" and sink the money paying Your freaking medical bills so this Guy can feel special.

Again... We all know what the answer is to building things that can weather storms.  It isn't a mystery.  Just rebuild Mexico beach all to this standard.  The Good Doctor is paying. You live on a BEACH, duh!

Sorry to put it bluntly Doctor, obviously You realize the world needs "cannon fodder", sacrifice zones too... Just save their lives first so You can build your multiple houses.

/smh

What a self-important world we live in. I wouldn't show my face, let alone give an interview.  It's not like this Doctor just discovered a cure for cancer.  Swallow Your pride.  The world needs a little, just a wee bit more humility and way less pride.  There is death and destruction all around this Doctor and He discovered "cancer" 6 years ago without telling anybody?... Give Me a break.  What? Did the Doctor build the house himself?  Keep it a secret? #SoSad

Let's rebuild the whole beach!  Sure!  The Good Doctor is paying!

LoL... ^^^^ This is the kind of vitriol (My post) the world needs.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

On 10/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I agree with both points.  IIRC, after the last big flooding along the Mississippi or Missouri Rivers (or maybe both), the feds decided that they weren't going to keep paying to rebuild homes located in flood ways (this decision was made back in the GWB's administration iirc -- around 2005 or so).  So, a lot of homeowners were given the choice of either getting help to move out of the flood-prone area or getting federal aid one last time to fix their current homes within the flood-prone areas.

There needs to be something like this devised for the coastal regions (maybe there is -- I think the Trump admin had proposed something earlier in the year or last year, but I don't know if it actually went into effect).  FTR, numerous coastal areas flood frequently even without devastating hurricanes.  We have enough data to know where those areas are, and it's time to start discouraging building in flood/storm vulnerable coastal areas.  You want to live on a barrier island, then do so at your own risk.  Otherwise, build back away from the vulnerable areas and leave the beach/coastal areas open for public recreation and served by temporary facilities.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I agree with both points.  IIRC, after the last big flooding along the Mississippi or Missouri Rivers (or maybe both), the feds decided that they weren't going to keep paying to rebuild homes located in flood ways (this decision was made back in the GWB's administration iirc -- around 2005 or so).  So, a lot of homeowners were given the choice of either getting help to move out of the flood-prone area or getting federal aid one last time to fix their current homes within the flood-prone areas.

There needs to be something like this devised for the coastal regions (maybe there is -- I think the Trump admin had proposed something earlier in the year or last year, but I don't know if it actually went into effect).  FTR, numerous coastal areas flood frequently even without devastating hurricanes.  We have enough data to know where those areas are, and it's time to start discouraging building in flood/storm vulnerable coastal areas.  You want to live on a barrier island, then do so at your own risk.  Otherwise, build back away from the vulnerable areas and leave the beach/coastal areas open for public recreation and served by temporary facilities.  

Yep!  And God knows they ain't gonna build it all up again like that Doctor's house.  Yeah, we all just got gobs of $$$$ to build two residences.

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

^^^^^They pulled this video from the front page.  Made a new one... Made a new video,  gave it a more somber tone and started to address cost!

Claiming 15-20% more in costs?  On say a pedestrian 300k stucture... That would be $60k more... I am claiming BS! I am no expert on this... But would ballpark, 25% to 50% more! Then the VERY expensive upkeep and maintenance?

Here is the the VERY toned down, somber video:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/homeowner-explains-how-mexico-beach-home-withstood-the-big-one?pl=pl-the-latest

They must of caught flak for the first one!

I am still claiming, *cough *COUGH BS on the premium cost, cost overruns, maintenance and upkeep, replacement costs, etc...

My response:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois