Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado?

I have a 2017 Blue Taco.  Love it.

Styling is almost similar.  Wonder if Chevy and Toyota still collaborate?

Toylet?

Toyota gets about 25 mpg highway.

Has an Atkinson cylce motor.  Really an Atkinson-Otto hybrid.

We will see how it wears through the years!

2015+ Tacos are the new generation, bit bigger.

Go TRD... Got Sport.  OffRoad has the locking diffs, different modes.

• Like (+1) 1

Lose the purse and buy the Tundra 5.7L...you might get 5 mpg less than Tacoma, but no biggie. At least you won’t have to listen to Exiled extoll the virtues of an inferior version of a real truck. 

(Advice: Don’t listen to Mead, Mrags or Flutieflakes )

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I have a 2017 Blue Taco.  Love it.

Styling is almost similar.  Wonder if Chevy and Toyota still collaborate?

Toylet?

Toyota gets about 25 mpg highway.

Has an Atkinson cylce motor.  Really an Atkinson-Otto hybrid.

We will see how it wears through the years!

2015+ Tacos are the new generation, bit bigger.

Go TRD... Got Sport.  OffRoad has the locking diffs, different modes.

TRD is only worth it if you actually offroad it, basic 4wd in the other models is good enough for the average person in poor weather.

Toyota trucks have always been known for better quality. The Chevys never seem to be known for that. Difference though is the toyotas also hold their values better so its gonna cost much more then a similar Chevy which will also typically be cheaper to fix most things. I do like the look of the newer chevys though.

I own a 2015 Nissan Frontier, the 4 door model just below the big offroad package. Has pretty.much everything but lockers and the roof rack that the higher model has.

I haven't had any issues with it, has about 50k miles on it. Gets about 300 miles to a tank with the larger v6. I have only had to change the tires on it along with typical maintenance. My only problem with it is that I need to move up to a full size cause 3 kids seats in the back is too much of a squeeze.

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Lose the purse and buy the Tundra 5.7L...you might get 5 mpg less than Tacoma, but no biggie. At least you won’t have to listen to Exiled extoll the virtues of an inferior version of a real truck. 

(Advice: Don’t listen to Mead, Mrags or Flutieflakes )

It's NOT the size of the wand Counsel, it's the MAGIC in it!  Size can't compensate for operator error.  BTW.  Smaller gets into tighter trails.

My other one will do circles around Your over compensating Rice Burner.  And this one is going on 13 years old:

?

20181003_202149.jpg

Now... That's a real truck! ^^^^

28 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

TRD is only worth it if you actually offroad it, basic 4wd in the other models is good enough for the average person in poor weather.

Toyota trucks have always been known for better quality. The Chevys never seem to be known for that. Difference though is the toyotas also hold their values better so its gonna cost much more then a similar Chevy which will also typically be cheaper to fix most things. I do like the look of the newer chevys though.

I own a 2015 Nissan Frontier, the 4 door model just below the big offroad package. Has pretty.much everything but lockers and the roof rack that the higher model has.

I haven't had any issues with it, has about 50k miles on it. Gets about 300 miles to a tank with the larger v6. I have only had to change the tires on it along with typical maintenance. My only problem with it is that I need to move up to a full size cause 3 kids seats in the back is too much of a squeeze.

TRD OffRoad.

The TRD Sport is just basically on demand, limited slip 4x4.  No lockers, modes.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Toyota trucks have always been known for better quality. The Chevys never seem to be known for that.

I owned my last Silverado for 17 years and nearly 250k.  Only thing I did besides scheduled maintenance was replace the fuel pump.   Dude I sold it to is still driving it. 

• Like (+1) 4

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-chevrolet-colorado-lt-crew-cab-4wd-vs-2016-toyota-tacoma-trd-off-road-double-cab-4x4-comparison-test

It really just comes down to driving both and seeing which one tickles your fancy.

You can also look at GMC Canyon, which is the same truck as the Chevy, just with GMC styling.

You'll likely get the best deal on the Nissan Frontier, since it's at the end of the current model.

You should also look into the Honda Ridgeline. Not a "real truck", but it's the truck that 80% of truck drivers should actually drive.

I have a 2013 Tacoma and it never did me wrong. Love the truck.....You're not going to beat a Tacoma for a midsize truck. I have two car seats in the back of mine which is nice to be able to do in a truck. I plan on keeping mine for a few more years, but I've been checking out the TRD PRO's pretty frequently. That's probably what I'll get next unless the Ranger Raptor is released in the states by then.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's NOT the size of the wand Counsel, it's the MAGIC in it!  Size can't compensate for operator error.  BTW.  Smaller gets into tighter trails.

My other one will do circles around Your over compensating Rice Burner.  And this one is going on 13 years old:

?

20181003_202149.jpg

Now... That's a real truck! ^^^^

TRD OffRoad.

The TRD Sport is just basically on demand, limited slip 4x4.  No lockers, modes.

My next vehicle is hopefully going to be the new Scrambler pickup next year since I can't have a second vehicle (a jeep) right now

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

My plan is to survive a few years on my current car and then get a Land Cruiser for no more than $20k. Won’t ever need another car. Toyota is THE most reliable brand out there. 

Motor sludging of the early 2000s.

I bought one because like the Jeep, the Tacos hold their value because of the this myth above.

Not faulting the myth.  Already had it in for rear diff recall.  Supposedly, could leak, go dry, seize up and cause an accident.

Mr.Toyota learned His lessen from the floor mat debacle... Never under estimate Your idiot car buyer?

Who drives a vehicle and does NOT notice a huge puddle of gear lube under the vehicle?  The average Toyota Fan Boy (See: Fergy), that's who.  They still had to recall and check the welds on the pumpkin.  I entertained their fancy.

Then the blower motor went out after 12k during hottest part of summer.  Took 4 days to get part.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

My plan is to survive a few years on my current car and then get a Land Cruiser for no more than $20k. Won’t ever need another car. Toyota is THE most reliable brand out there. 

They used to be, not as much anymore though.....

I owned an 80s Toyota pickup that I bought in rough shape and fixed up when I was younger.

The friend I bought it from was a huge Toyota 4x4 truck guy and was always bragging about how the Hilux motors were indestructible

I managed to destroy the motor in it on the first drive from my house (more then around the neighborhood) in it, spun a bearing and lost all the oil somehow.

This is the same Truck that the guys on Top gear did everything they could to destroy and couldn't.

Ended up putting in a new motor but had stalling issues I couldn't figure out so I sold it off and bought a 2wd dakota

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

My next vehicle is hopefully going to be the new Scrambler pickup next year since I can't have a second vehicle (a jeep) right now

Those new ones are nice.  Supposedly You can lower top @ light!

When daughter needs a vehicle, may get one and still keep My 2006 TJ.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

They used to be, not as much anymore though.....

I owned an 80s Toyota pickup that I bought in rough shape and fixed up when I was younger.

The friend I bought it from was a huge Toyota 4x4 truck guy and was always bragging about how the Hilux motors were indestructible

I managed to destroy the motor in it on the first drive from my house (more then around the neighborhood) in it, spun a bearing and lost all the oil somehow.

This is the same Truck that the guys on Top gear did everything they could to destroy and couldn't.

Ended up putting in a new motor but had stalling issues I couldn't figure out so I sold it off and bought a 2wd dakota

Yep... Very tinny!  

I have had an 87 and 90 YJ, both had tons of issue, but loved them. Used to wheel the 90 pretty much stock all the time, they are great because of their size.

I traded in a 2008 JK Unlimited I owned for about a year to get my Nissan. Jeep ended up with the death wobble and was looking at a large repair bill to fix it, so the wife suggested trading it in to get a truck which I usually need for around the house. (I was thinking of going newer jeep with a trailer)

Once they announced that they were bringing out a Jeep pickup based off the unlimited I have been wanting one cause its pretty much my dream vehicle (truck and Jeep combined)

Really hoping they aren't going to cost as much as they are rumored to right now (in the mid to high 40's in Canada). Although since its a jeep, I don't mind buying the most basic model and upgrading it myself when I can afford to.

Also, if you're looking for something 2015 or newer it may be worth looking at something new. The resale values of used Tacomas are through the roof, so the price difference may not be that much, plus you can get the Toyota care warranty which pretty much covers all labor and parts for the first 2 years.