Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Frustrating. If the money is about the same, I would think he would stay at Syracuse? 

My understanding is that it was a bidding war until the Syracuse group backed out when it got crazy.  I know the exact rumored figure, but I’m reluctant to say at this point.  Let’s see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My understanding is that it was a bidding war until the Syracuse group backed out when it got crazy.  I know the exact rumored figure, but I’m reluctant to say at this point.  Let’s see what happens.

Thanks for the clarification. I like Jesse, but he isn’t good enough to be generating some insane bidding war, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thanks for the clarification. I like Jesse, but he isn’t good enough to be generating some insane bidding war, IMO.

Again, this is information from a trusted source.  This person has been wrong before, but more often right than wrong.  But if it played out as this person said it did, I feel like I can’t help but to lose a little respect for Jesse (or at least the family member

negotiating on his behalf).

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Just saw we signed William Patterson as a recruit, 7’2” 230 lbs don’t know too much about him but that’s a big dude

We have had Him signed for a while 

one of the top bigs out of NYC but under the radar recruit

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He committed verbally a while back, but he and JJ Starling signed their NLI yesterday.

Yea but he wasn’t going anywhere.. he’s SU pipeline to a tee  

And he’s still unranked by some services… which is incredible 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:42 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I know I shouldn’t gripe about other teams, but guys like Filipowski and now Donovan Clingan (who very well could have been an orangeman) are coming back to college, despite being likely first rounders. But we have to worry about Mintz going pro? 

More likely to want to come back to when you can play for a contender vs returning to play for a team that might not make the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

So WVU has more NIL money than Syracuse? 

I have no idea if WV has more to offer than we do, but if it is, it’s not by much. I know for sure we’re somewhere around the top 20 in the country in terms of NIL money. We simply didn’t want to pay Jesse what WV is offering to pay. I imagine nearly half our budget is earmarked for Judah right now and from what I’ve heard we offered Edwards, I think even paying what we offered would have been a mistake. 

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Edwards say that it wasn't about the NLI, and then proceeded to talk about NLI.  I thought that he was a bit overrated, but still would have preferred for him to have returned to SU for another season.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

More likely to want to come back to when you can play for a contender vs returning to play for a team that might not make the tournament. 

I have no idea if WV has more to offer than we do, but if it is, it’s not by much. I know for sure we’re somewhere around the top 20 in the country in terms of NIL money. We simply didn’t want to pay Jesse what WV is offering to pay. I imagine nearly half our budget is earmarked for Judah right now and from what I’ve heard we offered Edwards, I think even paying what we offered would have been a mistake. 

Looks like WVU paid him $800, and Cuse offered $400.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Looks like WVU paid him $800, and Cuse offered $400.

Yeah, I knew that they offered Jesse a lot more. I'm saying I think their budget is no bigger than ours; they just valued Jesse a lot more than we did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

seems like a great get. Wonder how he slots in and also whose minutes he takes? I am still super high on Copeland, and really hope he gets a chance. 

Westry is a Swiss Army knife.  Combo guard who can also play some SF due to his size/length.  Big get.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

seems like a great get. Wonder how he slots in and also whose minutes he takes? I am still super high on Copeland, and really hope he gets a chance. 

He’s a combo guard with good size at 6’6 so he should be fighting for minutes at the guard spots … a good passer … devolving shooter 

could play some 3

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chance ends up being our starting SF next year (or starting SG if Judah leaves).

I also won’t say I expect it to happen but I think there’s a non-zero chance that someone like Copeland could potentially transfer out still. Not really scared that it’ll happen but if it did, I’d get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Autry says he wants to add another guard and center to the ‘23 roster.  This comment came after the Westry commit.  I know they’ve offered Moussa Cisse who could potentially be granted a waiver and play in ‘23, but he has a lot of interest from other P5 teams.  I wonder which guard he has in mind 🤔 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:24 AM, Jauronimo said:

You gave up on your dream school instead of waiting four months?

Haha. That's what I was thinking.  I'm a Buffalonian and UCLA alum.  I had buddies in my fraternity that were Winter admissions.  My recollection is that they had to take classes through the Extension program for that Fall quarter and then immediately matriculated into the 4 year program starting in January.  I believe they had housing in the dorms as well.    

On 4/18/2023 at 10:11 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Autry says he wants to add another guard and center to the ‘23 roster.  This comment came after the Westry commit.  I know they’ve offered Moussa Cisse who could potentially be granted a waiver and play in ‘23, but he has a lot of interest from other P5 teams.  I wonder which guard he has in mind 🤔 

Red is loading up

I haven’t been this excited for a Syracuse season in a while.. And I’m always excited

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I haven't heard anything concrete, but it seems that the recruiting world at large expects us to land Donnie Freeman, which would be a huge get for us.

2024 power forward, right?  I had heard the same thing recently.  There was one other school (I believe Maryland) that was also still in the mix….

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

2024 power forward, right?  I had heard the same thing recently.  There was one other school (I believe Maryland) that was also still in the mix….

Yessir. Generally considered a top 30 recruit in his class. He didn't really light it up this first weekend of EYBL games, but made the All-Defense team and was still pretty solid. He and Jahlil Bethea seem to be the two best 2024 guys that we're going after.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:24 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Red Autry recruiting HARD right now.  He’s everywhere and in person meeting with these kids.  Future looks bright.

Just not as bright as the red and white of St John’s Red Storm with Rick Pitino in MSG with the money to buy the players. I don’t have a doubt Rick Pitino will be more successful than Syracuse Orange basketball. Syracuse fan is going to have to get use to that Syracuse basketball is limited in a college free agency system today like Buffalo Sabres hockey that is a big reason why Jim Boeheim moved on. It doesn’t mean that the Orange and Sabres can’t win but there limited by the market they both play in in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

36 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

Just not as bright as the red and white of St John’s Red Storm with Rick Pitino in MSG with the money to buy the players. I don’t have a doubt Rick Pitino will be more successful than Syracuse Orange basketball. Syracuse fan is going to have to get use to that Syracuse basketball is limited in a college free agency system today like Buffalo Sabres hockey that is a big reason why Jim Boeheim moved on. It doesn’t mean that the Orange and Sabres can’t win but there limited by the market they both play in in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

And st johns will be on probation in 2 years

37 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Why would Boeheim pay this family off?  He didn’t do anything illegal.  If he wanted to help the family financially that’s one thing, but this almost implies some degree of guilt.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Why would Boeheim pay this family off?  He didn’t do anything illegal.  If he wanted to help the family financially that’s one thing, but this almost implies some degree of guilt.

Yea… I thought he was cleared of doing anything wrong

Paying for a funeral or something is one thing… Settling would imply some sort of guilt

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I haven't heard anything myself, but another person I know that has sources is saying he's officially worried about Judah Mintz leaving.

I haven’t heard anything.  This would suck.  Selfishly, I want him back obviously.  I really do think he can be a 2024 lottery pick with another year of good coaching and improving his outside shot.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I haven’t heard anything.  This would suck.  Selfishly, I want him back obviously.  I really do think he can be a 2024 lottery pick with another year of good coaching and improving his outside shot.

Yea I’ve heard zero 

He’s not a first round pick this year… But can be a lottery pick if he comes back

Him and JJ would be dynamic

• Agree 1