Taron Johnson playing very good ball.

JerseyBills

On 11/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, Doc said:

He’s the exact same height and weight as Tre and just 0.03 seconds slower.

It’s not always about height weight speed when moving outside . It’s about matchups and playing style

i had Taron pegged pre draft and when we drafted him I said it was a steal... but he is a much more natural slot corner

when he goes outside , even in college, he tends to get grabby... you can get by with a lot more physical play in the slot than boundary so it’s a perfect fit 

Tre gets grabby on the outside and he gets called, even with his budding reputation... and he is a natural #1 corner

Good teams put their players in The best spots to succeed and taron is tailor made for the slot. Besides nickel is basically a base defense now

Edited by Buffalo716

Subscription required for full access. 

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — The first hit came in Week 1.

Taron Johnson was playing in his first NFL game in a driving rain. The Bills were losing to the Ravens 17-0, but Johnson was still playing like his hair was on fire. Joe Flacco dumped a pass off to Javorius Allen, and Johnson, a 5-foot-11, 192-pound nickel corner, barreled toward the ball. He lowered his shoulder and jarred the ball loose. In the process, Johnson’s right arm was left dangling as he reached for his shoulder.

Johnson would miss the rest of the game and the Chargers game the following week. But since then, he’s been playing through the injury. Sporting a brace and grimacing through the pain, Johnson refuses to miss time. He shrugs it off, saying, “Everyone has their dings and this is one of mine.”

But his teammates notice the pain he’s in. Anyone who has watched the Bills regularly this season has noticed Johnson leaving the game. He’s missed an occasional play after certain hits cause the shoulder injury to flare up. More than 10 weeks after the initial hit, Johnson sat in the locker room and explained why he continues to fight through the pain for a 3-7 football team. He traced it back to when he first started playing football.

“I just felt like my goal was to just be physical and fearless,” Johnson said. “I’ve always felt like that. Playing football since I was in Pop Warner I told myself I was never going to be soft on the field. Nobody was ever going to be able to tell me that. I started that young. Nobody is going to tell me I’m soft. It’s been that way ever since.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

19 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I was at the Titans game earlier this season and at one point TJ came off the field, in obvious excruciating pain, his arm just dangling at his side with staff attending to him.  I thought, well he's done for the day, if not a portion of the season.  Not too much later in the game he shows up on ST making a play just launching himself like a missile with no regard for his injury or his body for that matter..  Kept an eye on him the rest of the game.  Could tell he was in pain throughout - but just kept balling.  Kid is a warrior.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/28/2018 at 11:16 PM, billspro said:

4 Rookies with significant playing time and playing well. Harrison Phillips had the second highest grade in PFF for rookie DTs too. 

We are one CB away from having the best secondary in the NFL. White, Poyer, Hyde, and Johnson are legit.

This last draft is impressive. Very solid especially if Allen continues to develop. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I saw him shed a block on a Fournette run but the angle he had to take required that he lead with that right shoulder and he shied away from making the tackle. Fournette is a load to take down and I was wondering if his previous shoulder injury was an issue because in another series he slipped the block and was able to square up and there was less hesitation.

Kid is tough as nails, but I wish we had the depth to let him heal. Hopefully he can make a full recovery in the offseason - I wonder how he will look without the injury...thinking pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

I saw him shed a block on a Fournette run but the angle he had to take required that he lead with that right shoulder and he shied away from making the tackle. Fournette is a load to take down and I was wondering if his previous shoulder injury was an issue because in another series he slipped the block and was able to square up and there was less hesitation.

Kid is tough as nails, but I wish we had the depth to let him heal. Hopefully he can make a full recovery in the offseason - I wonder how he will look without the injury...thinking pretty awesome.

He will need offseason surgery from what I understand.

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He will need offseason surgery from what I understand.

Makes sense if it is a labrum tear - will need some time to heal. He's young, he'll be fine. If that happened to me, I would be in rehab for a few years:)

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You really dont want Taron taking on a beast like Fournette with a bad shoulder........

Love the kids heart and he is definately a gamer though

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Makes sense if it is a labrum tear - will need some time to heal. He's young, he'll be fine. If that happened to me, I would be in rehab for a few years:)

I tore both of mine shovelling snow trying to get house ready for market.  No idea why realtor thought there would be viewers then.\

Surgeries were done at different times when I could not deal with the pain.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This last draft is impressive. Very solid especially if Allen continues to develop. 

...VERY much so bud.....and 2017 with McDermott/Whaley was decent whereas 2018 was superior......think some credit goes to Pegula.... let McBeane assemble a staff of 17+, many of which are NFL former VP's of Personnel or former Directors of Pro Personnel, pretty high rankings IMO......and it is all on Pegula's nickel......perhaps a $4+ mil payroll with McBeane included......AND....their FIRST year together as a unit....10 picks and FA $$$ could be a substantial defining year for this club long term.....so stay tuned.............

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...VERY much so bud.....and 2017 with McDermott/Whaley was decent whereas 2018 was superior......think some credit goes to Pegula.... let McBeane assemble a staff of 17+, many of which are NFL former VP's of Personnel or former Directors of Pro Personnel, pretty high rankings IMO......and it is all on Pegula's nickel......perhaps a $4+ mil payroll with McBeane included......AND....their FIRST year together as a unit....10 picks and FA $$$ could be a substantial defining year for this club long term.....so stay tuned.............

If McBeane can continue to pull 3-4 starters per-draft the Bills future will be bright. The Team has not put together 2 good drafts in a row since Polian. 

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If McBeane can continue to pull 3-4 starters per-draft the Bills future will be bright. The Team has not put together 2 good drafts in a row since Polian. 

too much work to examine the exec level resumes' of his staff....and certainly no guarantee as to their prowess because of previous positions...BUT....hard to believe there is NOT some real evaluative talent at OBD.....just a thought....

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

too much work to examine the exec level resumes' of his staff....and certainly no guarantee as to their prowess because of previous positions...BUT....hard to believe there is NOT some real evaluative talent at OBD.....just a thought....

2017 looks like there are 3 legit pro-bowl or near pro-bowl level starters (White, Dawkins, and Milano) and Zay could still develop into a productive player. 2018 setting aside Allen there looks like there could be 3-4 starters coming out of it. Edumonds is a 19 year old rookie playing above average for his position, Phillips looks like a solid player who could develop into a good starter, and Johnson is already a good nickle corner, and Teller has played strong as of late. 

If the Bills continue to draft well they will be just fine even if they are so so on trades and free agency. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

2017 looks like there are 3 legit pro-bowl or near pro-bowl level starters (White, Dawkins, and Milano) and Zay could still develop into a productive player. 2018 setting aside Allen there looks like there could be 3-4 starters coming out of it. Edumonds is a 19 year old rookie playing above average for his position, Phillips looks like a solid player who could develop into a good starter, and Johnson is already a good nickle corner, and Teller has played strong as of late. 

If the Bills continue to draft well they will be just fine even if they are so so on trades and free agency. 

...yup...hats off to a spot on and reasonable assessment....good work bud.........:thumbsup: