My Love/Hate Relationship with the Bills, Fans & Allen - Rant

BigDingus

For real...  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Based on actual evidence, and if your job actually depended on it, which would you take as a GM of an NFL team?

• Josh Allen & Tre White
    • Patrick Mahomes + 1st Round Pick in 2018 + 2nd Round Pick in 2018 + 2nd Round Pick in 2018

1 hour ago, transient said:

This assumes they would have drafted Mahomes. Rumor was Whaley was beating the drum for Watson.

Look at all the due diligence that McDermott and Beane did vetting QBs this offseason. I don’t think there was any way McDermott wanted to draft a franchise QB that Whaley had anything at all to do with.

Also, he still had to figure out what he had in Tyrod.

I don’t think the hindsight Mahomes plus the picks spent in trades is as straightforward of a real world scenario as you’re making it out to be. 

:lol:

54 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Hmmm.....yeah, that seems like a fair poll. And nothing disproves your post more than its length. Nothing more interesting than 37 paragraphs of hindsight. I especially like your "support" of Allen, you think he stinks and that he has always stunk and that being good is something he has never been.....but....you support him. Try that when your child applies to Harvard. "Look honey, you are an idiot, you have always been an idiot and getting in to Harvard would be the first time ever in your life that you weren't an idiot but don't worry honey, I support you!"

If I could triple upvote this, I would.

Unless you have studied Mahomes and Allen at the college level and can predict potential, you simply cannot judge them right now.

Mahomes is in the most friendly QB system you can get with superstar weapons all around AND sat behind a class act, smart QB, who mentored Mahomes for a full year.

Allen on the other hand arguably has the worst supporting cast around him. And it’s his 1st year, unlike Mahomes who learned a ton last year sitting behind Smith. (According to Andy Reid)

So it is not unreasonable at all to say we would prefer Allen and one of the best shut down corners in the NFL.

And btw coming out of College, Allen was more highly regarded than Mahomes.

So you may be right, only time will tell. But right now it is not fair at all to judge the two based on their polar opposite systems/supporting cast.

PS:  Ryan Fitzpatrick in 119 career games through 2017:  1 game with 400+ yards passing.  In 2018, all 3 games he has 400+ yards passing.

Lesson:  3 games don't make a career so might want to calm down.

Deshaun Watson had the hottest 3 games in NFL history last year.  And this year?  No ones talking much about him.  This board SLAMMMED daily the Bills FO for not taking Dak Prescott during his rookie year, he was already the next great thing.  And this year?  Talk that if he doesn't turn it around Dallas made need to look at drafting a QB next year again.  Another QB this board ranted about us not drafting after he got to a SB early and got a massive contract...Kaepernick.  Now he isnt even in the league and this board would melt down if we signed him (and we should, NP sucks).  The list goes on and on.  Carr was a the next godlike QB...now he sucks balls.  RG3 was going to redefine the QB position more than Cunningham, Vick, etc combined...he couldn't hold their jock now.  

So again...I would relax and wait and see how this pans out long term before you invest so much into hysteria.  Not to mention, we got a pretty exciting prospect of our own and a shutdown corner.

So for starters...Obviously you take Mahomes and the picks over Allen and Tre. Anyone voting otherwise is a complete homer who's lost all objectivity. 

That said, I think you're missing a lot of important context here. McD got hired in Jan 2017. The NFL and college season were done. All the draft intelligence was collected from Whaley's regime. Knowing what we know now, it seems pretty obvious those two men have drastically different ideas of how to put together a football team (i.e. one guy is a talent collector, the other a team builder). Buffalo trading their 2017 FRP for futures and selecting a Tre, a cornerback (McD's area of expertise), makes tons of sense under that lens. Clearly McD would prefer have more options in a draft where he had his people in place all year. So if anything, it's a little unlucky Mahomes entered the draft when he did.   

The other part we're forgetting is Andy Reid. He has a history of making QBs look fantastic. Maybe Mahomes would have been good anywhere, but he definitely has a much better shot of being great studying under Reid for a year and then starting on one of the best offensive rosters in the league, coached by one of the best offensive minds.

McD is a defensive coach. We're going to judge him based on wins and losses but it isn't surprising he came in wanting to fix the defense first, so we could at least be competitive. That ball hawking D also carried us to our first playoff berth in 437 years, so there's that.

I can't defend all his moves, and in isolation that equation you polled looks really bad, but there was sound reasoning behind what he did IMO (even if the execution was perhaps more than a little off). There's reason to trust what he's building. And yes, they are building something.