David Johnson

Kamara

Fournette

Melvin Gordon

Barkley

Kareem Hunt

Joe Mixon

McCaffery

That's 11 names all arguably better than Shady, the top 5 clearly better than him IMO.  That's not including names like Devonta Freeman, Jordan Howard, Dalvin Cook who are closer to Shady than some here would be willing to admit.

Fournette and Mixon aren't in this conversation. David Johnson hasn't looked good this year. 

Top 5 RB in order:

Gurley

Kamara

Elliott

Bell

Gordon

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I've got some oceanfront property here in Columbus to sell you....

They'll have the second most cap room in the league next season and 3 key expensive positions (QB / LT / CB) on very cheap deals.  Need to add talent at some point.

Yeah I agree, we need to add talent but if you don't understand the metrics of the modern NFL & paying a running back mega bucks, I'm done with this post.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're welcome to your opinion, but I'm puzzled to how you'd justify it with football arguments.

In any event, the point remains that whether or not you think one is better than the other, they are both skills backs who thrive behind competent run blocking.

Which we ain't got.

If you need a 'football argument' to justify that Bell is a better back than McCoy I dunno what to tell ya. Outside maybe Gurley he's been the best RB in the league over the past 2 years. For starters he's got over 600 yards more than McCoy from scrimmage over the last 2 years, averages almost one yard/touch more than McCoy in the same timeframe. 

7 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bell

Elliott

Gurley

David Johnson

Kamara

Fournette

Melvin Gordon

Barkley

Kareem Hunt

Joe Mixon

McCaffery

That's 11 names all arguably better than Shady, the top 5 clearly better than him IMO.  That's not including names like Devonta Freeman, Jordan Howard, Dalvin Cook who are closer to Shady than some here would be willing to admit.

In no particular order

Bell

Shady

Hunt

Gurley

——————————-

The rest 

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Shady hasn't been Shady.  

But now that the other teams defenses learned from Minnesota's HUGE mistake they will respect the passing game ...  wait what did I just type? 

Yes, respect the passing game and because of that the run game should improve.  

I'm pretty sure McCoy has been himself. Shifty and plenty of speed in space. The run blocking has just been terrible.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Keep in mind Ivory is averaged 2.8 ypc yesterday, which is tough to do if you're consistently getting 3-4 ypc.

I do know what I think you mean, though, which is that Ivory was at least making positive yardage consistently.    It's not a thing to love though.  I have trouble seeing what run blocking is doing in real time on televised footage, but Imma bet that the all-22 is going to show me what it showed last week:  the run blocking sucks.  There are no holes being opened. 

The difference between Ivory and Shady is that Shady does what top backs do - hesitates just a bit and waits for his blockers to open holes.  Only the holes never open.

Meanwhile Ivory plunges right in full throttle and grinds out the yards with his legs, which is why -1 or no gain for Shady becomes 1-3 yds for Ivory.

The real issue is to try to fix the run blocking.  It's only partly guys getting beat at the point of attack, there seems to be a lot of confusion about blocking assignments.

It's also in the first two games been totally ineffective cut blocking.  I saw at least 2 ineffective cut blocks yesterday.

What was Ivory's ypa at half though? Most of his nothing runs that I remember were in the second half, where all we were doing was running up middle to burn clock.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Keep in mind Ivory is averaged 2.8 ypc yesterday, which is tough to do if you're consistently getting 3-4 ypc.

I do know what I think you mean, though, which is that Ivory was at least making positive yardage consistently.    It's not a thing to love though.  I have trouble seeing what run blocking is doing in real time on televised footage, but Imma bet that the all-22 is going to show me what it showed last week:  the run blocking sucks.  There are no holes being opened. 

The difference between Ivory and Shady is that Shady does what top backs do - hesitates just a bit and waits for his blockers to open holes.  Only the holes never open.

Meanwhile Ivory plunges right in full throttle and grinds out the yards with his legs, which is why -1 or no gain for Shady becomes 1-3 yds for Ivory.

The real issue is to try to fix the run blocking.  It's only partly guys getting beat at the point of attack, there seems to be a lot of confusion about blocking assignments.

It's also in the first two games been totally ineffective cut blocking.  I saw at least 2 ineffective cut blocks yesterday.

This was the part that got to me about our OL. Yes, they've performed well overall in pass blocking, or at least 3 of them have per PFF. But our run blocking took a huge hit when we lost Wood and Incognito. 

It was a huge reason Shady offered Richie money to resign - before all the craziness happened. Wood was phenomenal in setting the middle wedge for interior runs, and I have rarely seen a guard who can pull and block on multiple levels like Richie did. Say what you will, but most every run Shady picked up he was looking to get behind 64 until he had to change direction.

We might be creating pockets, but we could really use lineman getting to the next level against the backers, and executing some pull schemes for outside gains. 95% of Shady's style is outside runs. For Ivory it'd be nice to have some in-between the tackle space, or at least seal off alleys that last longer than two seconds.

In reference to yesterday's game, a lot of the play action that was opened up was due to our consistent positive gains with the run game. Even if only for three yard chunks, they were missing Griffen on their Dline, and certainly had to compensate and gameplan for stopping the run regardless.

Edited by ctk232