Daboll play calling

Ray Finkel

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Then don't call long developing routes that call for the QB to work through progressions that have him holding the ball. 

Some of those I am convinced are designed to be shorter plays. Josh struggles to see them, then holds the ball, then ends up looking deep. He just isn't processing quickly enough yet. I think there are things they can do to simplify his reads.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Some of those I am convinced are designed to be shorter plays. Josh struggles to see them, then holds the ball, then ends up looking deep. He just isn't processing quickly enough yet. I think there are things they can do to simplify his reads.

I think you are correct, but in some cases the receivers are not uncovering. 

He was flat bad. But when you watched replays there were very very few options open when he still had a chance. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think you are correct, but in some cases the receivers are not uncovering. 

Also true 26. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was flat bad. But when you watched replays there were very very few options open when he still had a chance. 

Yea there are a myriad of factors at play. Totally agree. I am loathe to put much on the playcaller when he has very little talent to call plays for. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Also true 26. 

Yea there are a myriad of factors at play. Totally agree. I am loathe to put much on the playcaller when he has very little talent to call plays for. 

Those two quarterback runs down three scores was criminal too. Sure, in a close game I love that kind of call. But not in situation today. 

Get the ball in McClouds hands when you have no time or receivers. Don't throw WR screens to Andre Freaking Holmes, unless you think the surprise factor of no one in the history of football would do that might catch them napping. 

39 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I thought today was a really dumb game plan from the offense. The Packers have a great pass rush, we knew that going in but the Daboll seems to have thought that somehow the O Line could deal with it. There should have been way more screens, quick slants, hitches or shovel passes to avoid this. Instead they played into the Packers hands by pushing Allen into throwing deep balls with little time to set up.   Allen took a huge beating because of this, with sacks, hurries and knock downs after the throws.  The Bills receivers just cannot get any separation from Dbs and they have difficulty with the zip Allen puts on the ball (judging by more drops today). Cannot stand that we constantly seem unprepared for teams whose strengths we know. Just plain dumb.

100% agree with this...great post! ?

35 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I think Daboll needs to call all short stuff to start the game, quick hitting stuff. Nothing over 10 yards.

That and runs. Get things moving a little bit.

Packers were all over that stuff. They need to find a way to back the defense off a little bit.

I don't think asking a rookie QB to adjust protections and make quick, correct reads is all that likely to succeed. A more conservative game plan with more running and more people staying in to block would be better at this point in Allen's development, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When your line can't block and you QB can't process fast and get the ball out then it doesn't leave many plays in the playbook worth calling. 

I do wonder if we have a wide receiver bubble screen though. I see other teams run that play effectively every week. 

Except that other teams with young QB seem to devise game plans that help them out.  Maybe they have different plays in their playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, goldenboy81 said:

I think daboll thought it was 40-0 again the way he abandoned the run game,might of helped setup some kind of passing game. Just alot of pressure for a rookie qb with no weapons but shady.

Agree, but I think it's the system. And unlike Dennison, Daboll doesn't seem interested in "going back to what worked," the way Dennison did last season by resurrecting elements of the Roman/Lynn offense.

On the positive side, they're getting lots of reps in the system he likes. On the negative side, it's not working.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that other teams with young QB seem to devise game plans that help them out.  Maybe they have different plays in their playbook.

Their Quarterbacks were all more ready to play coming out. I am not doubling down on my draft projection I am just saying.... I don't expect him to process information fast like Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen... because I didn't think he did in college either. 

Worth saying the most impressive of the 4 - Baker - is the one with the best offensive line of the 4.

Edited by GunnerBill

Their Quarterbacks were all more ready to play coming out. I am not doubling down on my draft projection I am just saying.... I don't expect him to process information fast like Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen... because I didn't think he did in college either. 

So surround him with David Curry, Daboll, Nate Peterman and Sean McDermott and let him soak in all that QB knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So surround him with David Curry, Daboll, Nate Peterman and Sean McDermott and let him soak in all that QB knowledge. 

Well indeed. But obsessing about playcalling is a red herring. There are coaching fails and talent fails.... but I don't think it is playcalling. 

• Like (+1) 1