Is Doug Marrone a better coach than Sean McDermott?

BringBackOrton

Who is the better coach in the NFL?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better coach in the NFL?

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not exactly. Pegulas were working on an extension. He had only a few days left to exercise his out clause ( built into his contract due to Ralph’s age probably). Marrone rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but he’s a good coach. He knew Brandon / Whaley wielded a lot of power in the organization and was concerned about which side would win that struggle. His agent told him he was the top candidate for the Jets job, and the out clause gave Marrone a rare opportunity to collect a HC paycheck from two franchises in the same year. (Double dipping in any other circumstance is generally against the rules, with the previous team only on the hook for the difference in salary. ) So he took it. By all accounts the Pegulas approved of the job Marrone did as HC of the Bills. 

Okay, that makes sense. I literally read one article over a year or so ago that was stating what I regurgitated on here, thanks for the clarification. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

He didnt quit though.  The bills put an opt out in his contract and he took it.  They essentially chose whaley and russ brandon over marrone

Did they really want to pay him a full year's salary for doing nothing? How would you possibly know that?

12 hours ago, rodneykm said:

This is exactly what I believe the staff wanted all along. They know next year, with all the cap space, we'll be able to greatly improve our offensive line and WR's. Doing this will give Josh the tools he needs to succeed. This year was always going to be a down year and I'm ok with that. I like what they are trying to accomplish. 

This year is just a stepping stone to next year. Peterman and Allen were the only 2 quarterbacks so Allen would start early and get that experience. And once we fix that offense with all that cap room and all those free agents available Josh Allen will take the next step. This is exactly what the Bills wanted and I love it.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:41 PM, Virgil said:

Tough call. Marrone was handed a much better team.  

It's amazing what you can do when you inherit a talented roster and coughlin at the FO helm. McDermott did well to do his part in ending the drought, however, something Marrone wasn't able to do yet brought us the closest across prior regimes.

Is Doug Marrone a better coach than Sean McDermott?

Short answer: Yes.

Always thought Marrone could be our "Bill Parcels". Oh well.

14 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

He didnt quit though.  The bills put an opt out in his contract and he took it.  They essentially chose whaley and russ brandon over marrone

The "opt out with change of ownership" is in (almost) every HC contract. I only say "almost" every because I havent read every single HC contract. But it is a common and standard thing.

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm far more impressed by what McDermott has been able to do.

Marrone was supposed to be an O-Line genius, yet he benched Kraig Urbik in favor of Cyril Richardson.

Kraig Urbik was a mutinous POS who tried to form a rebellion much like Mario did.  Unlike Rex, Marrone had the stones to bench a more talented player to save his locker room.

So far so good for Marrone but I don't think the AFCS will be in disarray like it was last year.  Get back to me around Christmas about it.

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

So far, McDermott has done more with less. Marrone was gifted a blue chip roster

He is lucky that Coughlin still wanted to keep a finger in the NFL instead of going full retirement.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To the ppl who want marrone.....lets see him coach this squad and then talk.

That jags D dominates their defense is so good....you could put just about any HC there and they would succeed....McD would be a god there

What would the trajectory be, if Pegula gave Marrone what he wanted?  Retain him as coach, with an extension, while running some of the "lifers" including Whaley and Brandon out of the organization and allowing Bill Polian and he to come up with a GM and/or a VP of football ops.  Would the Bills be where Jacksonville is?  would we have seen it sooner?  who knows?

Instead, they chose Whaley/Brandon, along with Rex Ryan and brought this organization into kind of a dead end.  McDermott and Beane were brought on and created this "deep dig".  The jury is out on whether they dug too deep and if it will work out, we shall see.  Regardless, it looks like Marrone is pretty legit.  He took over a 2-12 team and went 1-1, and turned them around to a 10-6 record and an AFC Championship game.  Great start in 2018 as well.   I hope McDermott proves to be legit too.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Kraig Urbik was a mutinous POS who tried to form a rebellion much like Mario did.  Unlike Rex, Marrone had the stones to bench a more talented player to save his locker room.

Yeah, we all saw the results of it too.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Maybe so, but I will not believe that Marrone actually saw Richardson's play as being beneficial to the team.

Maybe not directly, but indirectly through punishing Urbik and shutting his **** down?  Absolutely.  

Mario was still a talented player in 2015, but Rex did nothing to quell his rebellion on the field.  He would have been better off signing a lesser player like Eddie Yarborough and playing him over Mario until Mario fell in line. 

Marrone da gawd.

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Maybe not directly, but indirectly through punishing Urbik and shutting his **** down?  Absolutely.  

Mario was still a talented player in 2015, but Rex did nothing to quell his rebellion on the field.  He would have been better off signing a lesser player like Eddie Yarborough and playing him over Mario until Mario fell in line. 

Marrone da gawd.

And Cordy Glenn was falsely vilified by fans for how poorly he played on the left side.

It's not easy to play Left Tackle & Left Guard at the same time.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

And Cordy Glenn was falsely vilified by fans for how poorly he played on the left side.

It's not easy to play Left Tackle & Left Guard at the same time.

He still got paid.  Even if he cares what stupid fans think (he shouldn't), it's not like it derailed his career.