Cover 1: Erik Turner Asks "Is Josh Allen Ready to Handle Trials and Tribulations?" - Apparently Yes

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Garapolo, oh yeah, you mean the guy whose into his fifth year and who got to sit behind and learn from the GOAT for four years. Right.

Tom Brady injured his ACL in his 7 th season.  What evidence is there that a rookie is more likely to be injured than a veteran.  I can save you the time looking it up.  The liklihood is no different.  Since the 49ers had no chance to win the game (this is now a known fact, they lost) we know the risk was unnecessary. 

As I mentioned here yesterday, I have been going back and forth on what to do here as many of us have.  But I got up this morning and it was pretty clear to me that Allen needs to start.

It's not that Allen is ready.  I rather not have to play him yet.  But this is all about Peterman at this point.  I just don't see how McDermott can roll him out there again on Sunday for a couple reasons:

1.  How does McDermott look his players in the eyes and tell them that Nate gives them the best chance to win?

2.  If he were to roll Peterman out there on Sunday and he goes 3 and out, or God forbid, throws another pick on the first drive, there is going to be 73,000+ there lighting the stadium on fire.  Even if he gets a couple of first downs before flaming out, the building is going to boo Peterman, the team, and the coaching staff mercilessly.

The only way it works with Peterman is if he goes out there and scores TDs on 2-3 drives in a row.  And what are the chances that happens?

I don't want Allen going in yet, but at this point, I don't see any other option.  If the game was on the road, I could easily see McDermott throwing Peterman out there again, but at home, in the home opener, following up last year's and last week's performances, against the team that buried him last season........I just can't see it.  Peterman starting Sunday is a riot waiting to happen.

12 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Tom Brady injured his ACL in his 7 th season.  What evidence is there that a rookie is more likely to be injured than a veteran.  I can save you the time looking it up.  The liklihood is no different.  Since the 49ers had no chance to win the game (this is now a known fact, they lost) we know the risk was unnecessary. 

So much for retrospective analysis.

And David Carr says hello.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

So much for retrospective analysis.

And David Carr says hello.

David Carr just sucked.  Dan Marino says hello.  So does Derrick Carr. And Joe Flacco. And Goff. And Big Ben.  And a crap load of other excellent QBs who started as rookies. 

But you completely missed the point.  Allen has no greater injury risk playing behind this line than any other QB in the league would.  Probably less because he is bigger and moves better.  So unless you would sit every other QB in the league because of injury risk. There is no reason to sit Allen. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bray looked better than Peterman in his preseason mopup game.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

David Carr just sucked.  Dan Marino says hello.  So does Derrick Carr. And Joe Flacco. And Goff. And Big Ben.  And a crap load of other excellent QBs who started as rookies. 

But you completely missed the point.  Allen has no greater injury risk playing behind this line than any other QB in the league would.  Probably less because he is bigger and moves better.  So unless you would sit every other QB in the league because of injury risk. There is no reason to sit Allen. 

Bray looked better than Peterman in his preseason mopup game.

Setting up a straw man and then knocking him down is a useful rhetorical device.

Its not just about injury risk. If you read my posts you would know that it has more to do with player development (though getting mauled can interfere with that).

Football is a violent contact sport. You don't decline to play because you might get hurt. OTOH to say that the risk of injury is the same across the board is of course preposterous. The risk of injury increases for a QB if his O-line stinks, he is devoid of weapons and facing a monster D. David Carr was a monumental bust to be sure, but he was beaten to a pulp for three years in Houston behind the worst line in the league. And in the circumstances he even managed to do some good things - so he was not without ability. I don't want Allen to suffer the same fate. If a player fails it's easy to say that he just sucked.  Sometimes you need to consider the reasons. And for every star QB who was thrown to the wolves and managed to prosper there are as many if not more who did not, but might have if they had been brought along properly.

Some young QBs who did well, like Ben or Brady, took over teams that were already loaded. And those QBs, like Peyton, who were drafted by bad teams, were more advanced in their development and  much better prepared than JA, who is extremely raw. 

Allen will for sure have to start long before he should, but that is not a good thing. It is the result of poor planning at the FO level. I hope he will handle it without regressing but I'm not confident that the Bills know how to develop him - he doesn't even have a qualified QB coach -and in the absence of that development he will surely bust. 

Trotting out the shiny new toy is the kind of cheap thrill that fans and the media want, but is it in the best interests of the player and the long term prospects of the organization? I would hold him out at least until we are past the Vikings and spend the time intensively preparing him for GB. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That’s a pretty dope sentence.

78thealtimegreat: the poster who refused to use punctuation.

BTW and to the OP's question, every time I finally get to see an overhead view of passing plays, there is almost always someone open...often glaringly wide open.

Just b/c our QBs usually don't find that guy and accurately throw the ball to them doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I mean, when was the last time we had a good QB on this team?  Does Flutie count?  Bledsoe?  Do we have to go back to Jim Kelly?

It's been a while.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

BTW and to the OP's question, every time I finally get to see an overhead view of passing plays, there is almost always someone open...often glaringly wide open.

Just b/c our QBs usually don't find that guy and accurately throw the ball to them doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I mean, when was the last time we had a good QB on this team?  Does Flutie count?  Bledsoe?  Do we have to go back to Jim Kelly?

It's been a while.

Yes, we have to go back to Jim Kelly.  I wouldn’t consider Flutie to be “good”.  

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It's been a while.

Snowflake 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Cover 1: Erik Turner Asks "Is Josh Allen Ready to Handle Trials and Tribulations?" - Apparently Yes