talent < teamwork

billsgpr88

By now everyone has seen the season predictions, the astronomical odds that the Bills are given to succeed this year, and the large number of Bills fans on this board that concur. I get it, no proven qb, no big name receivers aside from Benjamin, and the Bills O line looked god awful at times in the preseason, particularly in the Bengals game.  That being said, the idea that the Bills might go 0-16 (brought up in another post) seems to conpletely neglect the significance of teamwork and coaching. There were several moments of last season that compel me to believe the Bills have an advantage over a good number of teams in this regard (the team's celebration of BrandonTate's first down being the most vivid). Football is, as the saying goes, the ultimate team sport and I think this should be considered more heavily when we prognosticate the performance of our beloved bills. we can't see any measure of teamwork and preparation when we look at a depth chart, but at times it becomes clear as day on the field. The Bills don't have the big names, and yes there was a lot of turnover at critical positions, but I would implore all of you to remember what was expected at the beginning of last season before writing this year's team off entirely

• Like (+1) 1

"Don't talk to me about talent....Gimme talent + habits and I think we got something" - Sean McDermott

The BIlls have a good winner's mentality. Breaking the playoff drought really helped.

If they can just open up the passing game, they'll be fine. We'll see....

If you want to see the greatest display of teamwork, I've ever seen, check out the 80's Lakers sometime.  

That was fluid, and that was teamwork, and that was one whole big ball of talent pulling it off.  God love football and the Bills, because this is my sport and my team, but it's a herky-jerky collaboration of opposing sides under one banner who make up a football team. 

The 80's Lakers were the greatest 'team' of my lifetime, and I hope our Bills can do something to even approach that. 

10 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

If you want to see the greatest display of teamwork, I've ever seen, check out the 80's Lakers sometime.  

That was fluid, and that was teamwork, and that was one whole big ball of talent pulling it off.  God love football and the Bills, because this is my sport and my team, but it's a herky-jerky collaboration of opposing sides under one banner who make up a football team. 

The 80's Lakers were the greatest 'team' of my lifetime, and I hope our Bills can do something to even approach that. 

Hoops isn’t the same as football

many basketball teams are transformed overnight by a single player joining 

taking advantage of hopeless franchises to rig the draft was well played by the Lakers and Celtics of that era, now you just move the best players around to stack the deck each offseason

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

There is no end to the number of ways Bills fans will try to rationalize the fact that we have a below average football team.

They earn an "A" for effort and really do deserve much better than they have received in most years. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

There is no end to the number of ways Bills fans will try to rationalize the fact that we have a below average football team.

They earn an "A" for effort and really do deserve much better than they have received in most years. 

you missed the point of the post. I don't think they are going to the Superbowl this year, and at this point even making the playoffs may be a reach. But they are not the worst team in the league, as many analysts in the national media are projecting. Teams unravel when things get tough, you see it every year. I think the coaching and the culture in the building make that far less likely, and this alone makes up for a great deal. The talent disparity in football is less of a factor than other team sports because coherence and preparation are so critical. I didn't stake any claims regarding the talent level of the team. just the coaching and the propensity for this team to play together. Read a little more closely next time

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

• Like (+1) 2

Football, more than any other sport, depends on coaching. Talent levels in the NFL are fairly close as they are supposed to be the cream of the crop. A well-oiled team of average talent will beat a team of studs 8 out of 10 times. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Football, more than any other sport, depends on coaching. Talent levels in the NFL are fairly close as they are supposed to be the cream of the crop. A well-oiled team of average talent will beat a team of studs 8 out of 10 times. 

You are kidding yourself if you believe talent doesn't matter in the NFL.  Jimmys and Joes > X's and O's

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The most notable recent advocate that was a believer that work ethic + teamwork trumped talent was Dick Jauron.   In 10 years as a HC, he had a 60-82 win/loss record, 1 playoff appearance, 0 playoff wins.  In his 4 years with the Bills, his teams won 24 games and lost 33, with each of his teams performing worse than the year before as he replaced talented players with "his guys".  The crowning glory of his last losing season with the Bills before he was finally fired was a 6-3 loss at home to the Cleveland home, probably the most unwatchable games the Bills have ever played.

• Like (+1) 2

The prognosticators Keep adding Glen as one of the players we lost by trading him away in the off season. He didn't play much at all last season. Also have heard about the loss of #99, (Gone before the halfway point) Tyrod (no loss) Watkins (gone in preseason) Woods (big loss but Groy will grow into that spot fine) and Incognito (this one is tough). All that said we don't know what talent level we have until they play together in regular season. ?‍♂️.  So all that said. We may or may not have talent. Much of what they quote as loss isnt loss at all. Much of what we have gained has not had a chance to prove itself. We shall see but Im on the side of talent is a strong possibility and winning is also. Until proved wrong I will say 19-0 baby!

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You are kidding yourself if you believe talent doesn't matter in the NFL.  Jimmys and Joes > X's and O's

I don't think that's what Promo was trying to say, CB. 

I could be wrong, but I think the point he was trying to make was that 11 Jimmies and Joes with good Xs and Os > 11 more talented Jimmies and Joes saying "me first"

We saw that on our D and on our O under Rex Ryan.  in 2015 we had the core of the same D that was #4 overall the previous year, and it broke down into "me ball" and under-achieved.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think the point he was trying to make was that 11 Jimmies and Joes with good Xs and Os > 11 more talented Jimmies and Joes saying "me first"

We saw that on our D and on our O under Rex Ryan.  in 2015 we had the core of the same D that was #4 overall the previous year, and it broke down into "me ball" and under-achieved.

A well-oiled team of average talent will beat a team of studs 8 out of 10 times.  This is his quote that I take issue with. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly. I really think there is a possibility of seeing improvement on both sides of the ball this season. Im not in the "lost year" corner at all.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

A well-oiled team of average talent will beat a team of studs 8 out of 10 times.  This is his quote thate I take issue with. 

I dont because the 2 out of 10 times the thought is they would be the talent + Team

I dont think the mentality at OBD is that we dont want a talented team. I think it is we want to have a team that works together and buys into the plan. Then talent will come.