Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

9 hours ago, SDS said:

Firstly, please don’t turn into a walking advertisement for that website.

Secondly, this is a problem everywhere. Spammers take advantage of code in ads and insert these  malicious gift card ads. This is more of a hijacking then it is purposeful on their part. Presumably, it could happen here without my knowledge.

Just a PSA to do what you can do beat down Spam: make sure your OS (esp. on smartphones) is up-to-date, run ad blocking software on your web browsers, and protect your Internet of Things by changing factory passwords if you allow them to connect.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When did Dunne write any articles like that?

Maybe a slight exaggeration. :D He certainly tended to defend the indefensible a lot during his time at the News, while trying to appear objective.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:51 PM, Watkins90 said:

Lol at taking losing his column as a slap in the face. Bro, you work for someone. When you boss tells you to do something different, you do it. You don't whine like a little school girl, you just do it. 

As a journalist at a very small newspaper in northeast Iowa, what I wouldn't give to be the Bills or Sabres beat writer. People just don't understand how good they have it. 

As an employer myself, I relate to those who had to deal with a Sullivan and a Gleason. There comes a time when the convicts feel like they run the prison, and with their swagger,  they sometimes do.

I actually like Sully but it turn into shooting fish in a barrel situation. I can see how that became grating for some. If you ever hear him on a national show, he can be quite insightful. No matter how you feel about him, what the Pegula's did, if true, is pretty small minded. 

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

Maybe a slight exaggeration. :D He certainly tended to defend the indefensible a lot during his time at the News, while trying to appear objective.

Hmm. That is not my recollection. I think Tyler is pretty balanced. 

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a PSA to do what you can do beat down Spam: make sure your OS (esp. on smartphones) is up-to-date, run ad blocking software on your web browsers, and protect your Internet of Things by changing factory passwords if you allow them to connect.

I have just left a job where I developed an industry code of practice for IoT manufacuters wanting to sell into the UK market and one of the elements of that was requiring them not to have "default" passwords on their devices.... which are often either 0000 or 1234. Initially it is a voluntary code but if there isn't a discernable improvement I think their is appetite in the UK to legislate. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Will not have to worry about my mobile experience or my computer experience with their site as I will never be going to it. 

Also can I ask what the topic of tomorrows Sully and Bucky thread is going to be OP so I can mentally prepare myself 

Dont worry - I actually don’t listen.  1270 is too jojo to have an on-demand section on their website.  Only way to listen is live and I can’t during that time

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah I have iOS 11.4.1 which is the most updated version.  Didn’t make a difference

10 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Whats your obsession with this guy? Its one thing to post several similar threads about a bills player in less than 24hrs but doing so about a sports columnist? Nobody cares. 

I'm thinking he might be Patrick Moran, plugging the podcast.  He seems to have the same opinions.........I actually liked the podcast.  As much as I couldn't stand Sully's bitter writing, I did like him on the radio on GR. 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

You liked Sully over Tyler Dunne? 

56 minutes ago, gomper said:

I actually like Sully but it turn into shooting fish in a barrel situation. I can see how that became grating for some. If you ever hear him on a national show, he can be quite insightful. No matter how you feel about him, what the Pegula's did, if true, is pretty small minded. 

I don't think it's true

1 hour ago, Rico said:

That is not my impression but de gustibus and all that

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Folks, the first part of this podcast is probably the most compelling interview I've heard for quite a while.  It's from Pat Moran's Moranalytics podcasts and his guest is former Buffalo News columnist Jerry Sullivan.  Say what you will about Sully, but he doesn't crawl up in a ball and pretend to be Mr. Nice Guy.  He also doesn't fabricate a fake phony picture of why he left either or share disingenuous positive words for the BN,   

Instead he gives his honest take about a number of subject - in particular his falling out with the Buffalo News.   I'll share some highlights but trust me, this is a surprisingly unfiltered interview from one of the most outspoken members of the Buffalo media.  IMO he comes off a passionate writer who loves sports and feels that fans deserve unbiased, honest sports coverage, even if it means reading views that they might not personally share.  

Of course, this is just Sully's opinion I am sure there are two sides to this story.  I would be interested to hear from @JoshBarnett as Jerry mentions him by name a few times.    I can paraphrase what he said.  It's from my memory earlier today so you will want to listen for yourself.  

On being "negative"

He said he has a reputation for being negative but reminded listeners the the covered the longest drought in sports history.  The Bills put consistently put out an  inferior product and he was holding them accountable for the fans.  He also said the role of a columnist, is to sometimes be an extremist in their views and amplify their thoughts to to generate conversation.  He'd later go on to saying that Jeremy White and Mike Schopp do this brilliant on radio.  While he says he always held the Bills accountable, there were many very positive articles during the 90's Super Bowl run.

Why Jerry left the Buffalo News:

Jerry says he accepted a buyout from the BN.  He was not fired and he did not retire.  He then shares exactly what happened, from his perspective anyway.   He said that he was told by management that they were taking away his column and to be a feature writer.  He said years ago the ideal job for any writer was a columnist position.  He held this job for years at the BN and taking it was an insult.  The same happened to Bucky Gleason who was asked to cover the Sabres beat.  Jerry considered staying, but once Bucky decided to leave he knew he had to leave to.  He felt too disrespected to work for a company that did that to him.   To him, taking away his column was essentially a giant slap in the face.  

The downfall of the BN and The Buffalo Blitz

Basically he says the BN has gone downhill fast and its disappointing.  They now feature front page articles from journalists right out of college, as opposed to featuring exceptional and experienced writers.   He also says that the role of a "columnist" is diminished in the modern print landscape. 

- He claims that editor Mike Connolly hired Josh Barnett to be the Executive Sports Editor over former Sports Editor Keith McShea who Sully feels was the better choice.   According to Sully, people were not on board with the Barnett hire and the Sports room became a less than desirable place.  He said that many people in sports were unhappy for a variety of reasons.

- Rather than trying to promote hard-hitting, in-depth, analysis of the Bills and Sabres, he feels that management wanted a watered-down, safe, sanitized product which he feels insults the intelligence sports fans.

- He cites The Buffalo Blitz  - which he refers to as a "fan site, "as one of the biggest flops that crippled the sports department and the paper.  Sully claims that Connolly promised advertisers that it would reach 100,000 readers.  The actual number was closer to around 3,000.  Sully believes that management did not want him or Bucky writing columns that were critical or controversial.  He claimed that they sent out a survey to a fans asking why didn't subscribe.  A small number said they didn't subscribe because of Sully and Bucky, so now they had the data to support their personal beliefs and essentially he was a scapegoat.  Sully feels that these moves  cater to the "lowest common denominator of fans."

He also talks about:

- The influence of The Pegulas may have made on his column getting taken away

- Tim Graham vs. Mike Harrington

- The Athletic vs. Buffalo News

- His new site Football Maven

- Buffalo news vs. WGR

- Why he has low expectations for the Bills

Listen and let me hear your thoughts!

One of the other papers did a piece with Sullivan a few months back that outlined a lot of this stuff.

As a Bills and Sabres fan, I am well aware of the losing our teams have been going through.  And yes, there were many years where we as fans were made to feel like we weren't intelligent enough to know what the front office was or wasn't doing.

But after a while it just got to a point where no matter the good or bad, he was always negative.  Something good would happen and he would always put a negative spin on it.  

Sports is sort of an escape for many fans.  It doesn't pay their bills (no pun), it doesn't raise a family, and it isn't something that is required in order to live.  We all have problems in life and face enough adversity from our day to day dealings, some more than others.   The last thing I want to do is read an article regarding a topic that should bring levity to my day and have it be dark and hopeless.  At that point, I would rather just stop and move onto something that is more uplifting.

He was always looking at the glass as half empty. Whenever good news came out, there was always a caveat of negativity that he needed to remind us fans of.  That gets old fast.  That's why I stopped reading him.  

This is 2018, not 2008.  He never got that.  

When I was in college I interviewed Jerry for a communications piece and he was one of the nicest guys I had ever met.  He complimented me on my preparation and took the time to be interviewed and never rushed.  So I know he is a good guy.

But when it comes to sports writing, I just feel his approach is outdated, and as much knowledge as he has of sports, his negativity has turned a majority of his viewers off.  I wish he would change, but as they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I wish him all the best

11 minutes ago, bbb said:

I'm thinking he might be Patrick Moran, plugging the podcast.  He seems to have the same opinions.........I actually liked the podcast.  As much as I couldn't stand Sully's bitter writing, I did like him on the radio on GR. 

You liked Sully over Tyler Dunne? 

Absolutely! Sully is legendary, Dunne is just another hack.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When you say run ad blocking software on your browser how is it that you expect me to pay a $2000 a year server bill? 

How does any publisher pay their bills if they don’t force a subscription? 

21 minutes ago, SDS said:

When you say run ad blocking software on your browser how is it that you expect me to pay a $2000 a year server bill? 

How does any publisher pay their bills if they don’t force a subscription? 

Me personally?  I subscribe to pubs I value.   I whitelist selectively.  And I see ads that aren’t intrusive or contain blacklisted code.  

I also haven’t had to clean crap off my computer and restore it since I took these steps.

If you wanted subscriptions to pay your server bill, Scott, I know for a fact you’d get ‘em from many here.

1 minute ago, gomper said:

Link is unavailable but check out his spots on Fan590 in Toronto. 

Thanks but pass.  I would have clicked on a link that you thought was insightful.... I don't feel like dumpster diving looking for anything of substance.