Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No one has an issue with columnists being critical in my opinion.  They do have a problem with criticism being overly snarky and resorting to childish personal insult.  That was Sullivan to me.  I have read his stuff about the Bills and Sabres, I have read and heard him be insulting to anyone who dared to disagree with him.  So I have no desire to listen any more to him or read any more from him about the Bills.  

Sully was definitely snarky.... I think that’s just him.  He seems to have a very dry sense of humour

On 9/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, BuffaloRush said:

I think Sully gets a bad rap from Bills fans.  I think some fans fail to understand the job a columnist.  Also, IMO he was right to criticize the Bills during the drought years.  The moves that Ralph Wilson made running the team were embarrassing.  

Yeah the Bills were awful most of the time, but why do we need someone like Sullivan telling us what we all saw. He added very little for someone with access to the players.

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

The more this thread continues...  the more I swear @BuffaloRush gets royalties from the podcast for clickthroughs.

LOL over 7,000 view on this thread.  if I did have an affiliate link for click throughs, I might be able to buy a beer at New Era!

No, I really just think people need to hear the interview.  Like I said, I learned a lot about Sully.  I’m just saying Sully touched on the majority of the things people are complaining about.   If they actually listen, they would probably learn something.  Many people have objected for pretty childish reasons - “I don’t like Sully and I don’t care about him...so I’m not gonna listen.”  Yet they still write long comments about Sully here.  To their own I guess

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Yeah the Bills were awful most of the time, but why do we need someone like Sullivan telling us what we all saw. He added very little for someone with access to the players.

Well that’s more of a beat writer or an enterprise journalist than a columnist.  I think Sully was just being honest about his thoughts on the Bills.  The same way many of us do here as well

On 9/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Of course, this is just Sully's opinion I am sure there are two sides to this story.  I would be interested to hear from @JoshBarnett as Jerry mentions him by name a few times.    I can paraphrase what he said.  It's from my memory earlier today so you will want to listen for yourself.

I want to personally thank Josh for getting rid of this ahole.  I no longer have my blood pressure go up when reading the sports page. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

LOL over 7,000 view on this thread.  if I did have an affiliate link for click throughs, I might be able to buy a beer at New Era!

No, I really just think people need to hear the interview.  Like I said, I learned a lot about Sully.  I’m just saying Sully touched on the majority of the things people are complaining about.   If they actually listen, they would probably learn something.  Many people have objected for pretty childish reasons - “I don’t like Sully and I don’t care about him...so I’m not gonna listen.”  Yet they still write long comments about Sully here.  To their own I guess

Well that’s more of a beat writer or an enterprise journalist than a columnist.  I think Sully was just being honest about his thoughts on the Bills.  The same way many of us do here as well

Childish reasons? Do you click links about the Kardashians or the cast of Jersey Shore to hear their take? 

Id bet, no. Why? Because you don’t care! Jerry had his time and now it’s over. Most of us are happy and have moved on. Obviously he, and you, haven’t. That’s really a Sully and Rush problem. Not ours. 

Give ol’ Jer a message for us. “We don’t care. Bye.” 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

What I meant by "avuncular" was an easy familiarity in presentation style that conveys that the speaker/writer is both a longtime local known to everyone and an old hand.  He may not have been all that kind (although stylistically his presentation style was one of accessibility and familiarity), but I'd argue that stylistically he was genial.

Fair enough.  I think you may be defining both "avuncular" and "genial" in a non-standard way that's a tad confusing, but I understand your point now.

11 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Much like an onion, there should be many layers. Sully had one. And no one likes one layer.

Actually, ain't never heard this objected to in clothing or cakes

42 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

He has....  He essentially let Sully go.

Not really...I mean his response to what sully said about him.  He essentially said many people weren’t on board with his hire, that they should have hired Keith McShea, and that Barnett’s brainchild The BN Blitz only was able to get 3,000 subs - 97% short of what they promised.  An epic failure if true

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Not really...I mean his response to what sully said about him.  He essentially said many people weren’t on board with his hire, that they should have hired Keith McShea, and that Barnett’s brainchild The BN Blitz only was able to get 3,000 subs - 97% short of what they promised.  An epic failure if true

Sully’s PR wing still going strong I see 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sully’s PR wing still going strong I see 

Clearly you didn’t listen to the interview because Jerry made all of those points.  No PR just stating a fact. 

Sorry that Jerry called out your favorite team.  You shouldn’t be so sensitive 

49 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Clearly you didn’t listen to the interview because Jerry made all of those points.  No PR just stating a fact. 

Sorry that Jerry called out your favorite team.  You shouldn’t be so sensitive 

No I didnt want to listen to him crying that he quit. They took his column away Because his takes where lazy, tired and repetitive. Hosted by another person that has zero football credibility. 

And critical takes do not bother me evidently you dont read alot of my posts here about the team

On 9/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, That's No Moon said:

Put it this way, if I want to hear incessant criticism of the Bills all I need to do is listen to the voices in my own head.  If that's not enough I can come here.  My issue with him wasn't his criticism, it was what he chose to criticize and when he chose to criticize it.  He found it to be his job to piss on everyone's parade during the briefest glimmers of joy and hope during a dark time.  You are allowed to let people briefly enjoy something and not lose your journalistic integrity.  I get what a columnist does, when you write the same basic column for 20 years it gets tired to read.

What if Groundhog Day lasted for 17 years?

22 hours ago, Sanners said:

Kinda off topic, but The Instigators is a fantastic show. Andrew Peters has really blossomed. Craig Rivet is solid,

and they get great guests. They are critical and fair. The best show on GR by a mile 

Agreed.  Peters has actual radio chops.

I don't want to rejoice in someone's downfall but it's a good thing that TBN finally parted ways with JS. I couldn't read his stuff and surely wasn't going to pay for any subscription with him on the payroll. I'm a lifelong Bills fan who lives out of state. I like objective reporting on interesting stuff that applies to my team. Sullivan seemed to be in his own disconnected world, often writing mean spirited stuff and grinding his own axe like a jilted bitter ex. His writing was tabloid stuff, always trying to create an emotional response. He started trolling people on Twitter, tried to pick fights with Lebron James, Gronk, etc and looked silly in the process. I took offense with his personal attacks on the Pegulas, Marv Levy, Wilson, and others. Parting ways with JS was way overdue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Some people don't stoop. Looks like he took the high road. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Factually incorrect!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Perhaps..  mistake OR not Josh decided Sully's contribution needed to be altered and took away his "dream job".  Thus, Josh decided Jerry was "expendable" based on the mass reaction to Sully's tired act.

Also,  why would TBN promote from within if the ideas were stale and dying?  IF my job was on the line I would want an ally in power vs "some kid out of college".  Sully in the interview comes off as a get off my lawn grump as we as a lover scorned.

Edited by aceman_16