What’s on the menu for the 1st NFL Sunday?

YoloinOhio

Just now, BritBill said:

My local pub growing up was a Sam Smith. The brewery is only 12 miles away so it was cheap. And strong. Many a cheap good night to be had on Smith's lager. 

Hell's bells! I love that stuff, and my heart is nearly as dark with envy at your proximity to Sam's. I'd be drunk every day if I was that close.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Steak pie. Let me tell you, man....that stuff was legit. I could eat about a dozen of them if pressed.

Britfight!!

So I've been told!!  And hot custard....I now know what I'm getting next visit!!

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Hell's bells! I love that stuff, and my heart is nearly as dark with envy at your proximity to Sam's. I'd be drunk every day if I was that close.

I remember my first ever pint. It was rancid but I grew to love it. You could get three pints of it for a fiver back in those days (1998). It's not much above £2 a pint now. I'll have to pop back one night soon, see some friends and find out. 

There's a pub in York called The King's Arms. It's fairly famous as it floods every year. That's a Sam Smith's hostelry. 

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

So I've been told!!  And hot custard....I now know what I'm getting next visit!!

Try and get a Steak & Ale pie. Food of the Gods.

Rhubarb crumble and custard. You'll be living the dream with that my friend. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BritBill said:

I remember my first ever pint. It was rancid but I grew to love it. You could get three pints of it for a fiver back in those days (1998). It's not much above £2 a pint now. I'll have to pop back one night soon, see some friends and find out. 

There's a pub in York called The King's Arms. It's fairly famous as it floods every year. That's a Sam Smith's hostelry. 

I'd be all over that like stink on a monkey.

You can't buy Sammy Smith for $3.50 a pint here. I wish. :lol:

2 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Try and get a Steak & Ale pie. Food of the Gods.

Rhubarb crumble and custard. You'll be living the dream with that my friend. 

Sweet Jesus is this what they mean when they say developing a refined palate??  Here it is a few days away from first game of the season and I'm getting amped about steak pies, rhubarb crumble, and hot custard...and washing it down with a spot of tea...

Thank you gentlemen....and damn you in the same breath

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Have you been to the Orange Buffalo in Shoreditch? They do the closest I've found to actual wings, Buffalo Style. 

I've not. I was actually supposed to go with some friends in July and ended up in Brussels the night they went so missed out. On the to do list. Any recommendations on what to order Wayne?

19 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Being from London he wouldn't turn up. Flip flops and burritos are no tools for a fight. ?

I am an adopted Londoner. I am originally from Stoke, where the midlands meets the north... but Darren Gough was my favourite cricketer as a kid so when it comes to cricket I am positively White Rose and normally try to get to Headingly once a summer (though with work being crazy haven't managed it this year). 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I've not. I was actually supposed to go with some friends in July and ended up in Brussels the night they went so missed out. On the to do list. Any recommendations on what to order Wayne?

Well the wings are really good, best place to start. They also do a Buffalo Chicken Burger that's real nice. And they only serve bleu cheese sauce. They have a couple different other sauces that I haven't tried yet. I think they've gotten into some pubs in London as well, serving it as almost street food.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am an adopted Londoner. I am originally from Stoke, where the midlands meets the north... but Darren Gough was my favourite cricketer as a kid so when it comes to cricket I am positively White Rose and normally try to get to Headingly once a summer (though with work being crazy haven't managed it this year). 

Ah, excellent.

I loved a bit of Goughy too. His Ashes hat trick will live long in the memory.

I've only made it to Headingley once this season and that was the first T20 game v Durham. Yorkshire are quietly having an awful season. On and off the field. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Well the wings are really good, best place to start. They also do a Buffalo Chicken Burger that's real nice. And they only serve bleu cheese sauce. They have a couple different other sauces that I haven't tried yet. I think they've gotten into some pubs in London as well, serving it as almost street food.

Yea that is pretty common now, pubs contracting out the food to other people who essentially use the pub's kitchen to run a pop up restaurant. The pubs win because they get the rent for the kitchen and a food offering to keep people in their pub and drinking their beer and the food providers win because they keep the money from food sales and they get their product out there. Often they start there and then open their own restaurant on the back of it, but it can happen the other way too. 

33 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I recently got an air fryer as a gift, haven't used it yet.  Can you taste a big difference or not really?

Definitely a bit different, but I've had solid success. Tossing them in Franks & Butter covers a lot of it. The real trick is shaking the fryer basket often to keep the wings from resting on each other for too long. I also toss them in a tablespoon of oil (I use sunflower) and give then a very light dusting of flour before frying them. Then they get nice and crispy.

• Like (+1) 1