The Athletic: Tim Graham Sits Down to Interview Brandon Beane

26CornerBlitz

From Tim Graham at The Athletic:

Brandon Beane Q&A: Bills GM talks QB plans, O-line state, AJ...

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Soaked in sweat, Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane plopped down in the passenger seat of a John Deere cart inside the team’s practice facility.

He just had been running wind sprints with assistant GM Joe Schoen under the sweltering sun.

“Another three minutes,” Beane said, “and he would have my job.

“I know what he was up to.”

The workout was a break compared the rest of his Labor Day weekend. NFL clubs had to whack their rosters to 53 players by 4 p.m. Saturday. Beane haggled with the Oakland Raiders, trading quarterback AJ McCarron and exploring the stakes for pass-rusher Khalil Mack. He swapped out punters and, by the way, hashed out with coach Sean McDermott how to proceed at the game’s most important position.

The Bills on Monday morning named Nathan Peterman the starter ahead of seventh overall draft choice Josh Allen.

In an interview with The Athletic, Beane reviewed his weekend.

He shared background on the McCarron trade, plans for the QB depth chart, thoughts on the upsetting offensive line, what went into the decision to cut former first-round pick Corey Coleman after acquiring him from the Cleveland Browns and why the Bills couldn’t bring Mack back to Buffalo.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

This sheds some light as to why they're working out Paxton Lynch. Seems they wanna roll with 3 QBs, and if they were able to gain a pick from McCarron, what's the harm in signing a dude to run the scout team and have it cost you nothing?

Less & is always better for the 3rd string guy

First article read from the Atlantic (free trial), and it was good. Waaay batter than the BFN articles bashing Bills.  Great open ended questions which resulted in insightful answers.  It seems the Bills brass have embraced The Atlantic, though others may be able to offer more meaningful insight into this opinion. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Soaked in sweat, Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane plopped down in the passenger seat of a John Deere cart inside the team’s practice facility.

He just had been running wind sprints with assistant GM Joe Schoen under the sweltering sun.

The workout was a break compared the rest of his Labor Day weekend. NFL clubs had to whack their rosters to 53 players by 4 p.m. Saturday. Beane haggled with the Oakland Raiders, trading quarterback AJ McCarron and exploring the stakes for pass-rusher Khalil Mack. He swapped out punters and, by the way, hashed out with coach Sean McDermott how to proceed at the game’s most important position.

The Bills on Monday morning named Nathan Peterman the starter ahead of seventh overall draft choice Josh Allen.

He shared background on the McCarron trade, plans for the QB depth chart, thoughts on the upsetting offensive line, what went into the decision to cut former first-round pick Corey Coleman after acquiring him from the Cleveland Browns and why the Bills couldn’t bring Mack back to Buffalo.

Interesting article. I found his attitude towards the dead money from AJ and Coleman to be sort of cavalier. The Coleman deal cost us a 7th rounder and $3MM in dead cap.

6 hours ago, transient said:

Short version; They inquired. Raida’s asking for too much, Mack asking for too much. 

Trading for Mack would have been great, they should have picked him instead of Watkins, but, that trade would have ensured the OL and WR group to be crap for many more seasons to come.

1 hour ago, AllenWillBust said:

Trading for Mack would have been great, they should have picked him instead of Watkins, but, that trade would have ensured the OL and WR group to be crap for many more seasons to come.

And while it should be obvious to all fans, it simply isn't, that whenever you make a trade of that magnitude the ripple effects are significant. As you said, trading for Mack while exciting for *this* year, essentially paralyzes other parts of the organization. That said, I don't understand the Raiders' thinking. THIS is exactly why the Draft is so crucial to success. Because it cost YOU only one 1st round pick and then the proper Cap adjustment to retain him. And when you invest in a guy like that, you see the gains on the return. 

Beane knows there is still so much work to do and he was right to walk away. Furthermore, AJ nets a 5th round pick - and before everyone starts dumping on that pick, let's keep in mind that good to great players *can* be found in the 5th round. And for the first time since the Polian / Levy era, I have confidence in Beane and his team to unearth that 5th round pick. We'll see how Teller plays, but while many will dump on this, Peterman was a 5th round pick and of course one of the Bills' all time greats Kyle Williams was a 5th round pick. So, previous administrations failed in the Draft in nearly all rounds (except for a few key pieces, i.e. Wood, A. Williams, Glenn) I have more confidence that pick will be impactful and sustainable. If I'm wrong...so be it, but I think Beane's got this team moving in the right direction. 

Also, just for context this was his FIRST true Off-season as he didn't get to Buffalo until AFTER last year's Draft. 

Edited by BigBuff423

On 9/3/2018 at 5:47 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

What did Beane say about our oline problems, for those of you with access?

24 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Finally you post something that makes a modicum of sense. Let's see if you can make it two in a row.