Tracker: Bills' 2018 Practice Squad - All Ten Spots Now Filled

26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Tracker: Bills' 2018 Practice Squad - Signings Begin at 1 PM

The NFL’s waiver claim period ends at noon Eastern on Sunday and even before that deadline, teams have been negotiating with potential youngsters for spots on the practice squad. The Buffalo Bills and every other NFL team are able to hire ten players for the taxi squad. Keep in mind, none of these deals are official until announced by the team as the situation is very fluid as players get claimed or offered more money by other teams after losing a guy they were targeting.

Below, we’ll keep track of the rumored signings and interest for the Bills and keep updating it until the team does officially announce it. (If we can go by the timeliness of their roster announcement, we’ll find out at some point late today but no where close to the 1:00 p.m. official window opening.) Also keep in mind, Buffalo could end up swapping out players on this again as the second day of waiver wire comes and goes after the first wave of roster claims today.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The waiver claim deadline is at noon today and after that point waived players become unrestricted free agents. Teams may place claims on any player on the waiver wire, but claims are awarded to teams in the reverse order of the 2017 standings. For example, the Bills are 21st on the waiver claim list after making the playoffs last season, and the Cleveland Browns are first.

So the waiver claim deadline has now passed? Any idea when we'll learn the results?

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/plenty-of-quarterbacks-are-available/

lots of Qbs available (though none are any good). 

Does Bryce Petty have practice squad eligibility? I believe he only has 2 accrued seasons? (not sure though)

You believe in Petty crime? ;)

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/plenty-of-quarterbacks-are-available/

lots of Qbs available (though none are any good). 

Does Bryce Petty have practice squad eligibility? I believe he only has 2 accrued seasons? (not sure though)

Would the Bills be looking for another inexperienced quarterback to put on the practice squad, since they already have a rookie and first-year QB on the roster? If so, who would they feel strongly enough to bring in, since they didn't have one from camp that they're familiar with?

Or instead, would they be looking for an experienced vet to sit on the active roster as 3rd QB and act as a mentor for Allen and Peterman? Maybe do both? 

5 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

Would the Bills be looking for another inexperienced quarterback to put on the practice squad, since they already have a rookie and first-year QB on the roster? If so, who would they feel strongly enough to bring in, since they didn't have one from camp that they're familiar with?

Or instead, would they be looking for an experienced vet to sit on the active roster as 3rd QB and act as a mentor for Allen and Peterman? Maybe do both? 

I'm quite sure they traded AJ to only have two QBs on 53. I very much doubt barring injury they add a vet to the 53. Especially because the lack of even bad ones available. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We have a road grater his name is Wyatt teller

Road grading is the only thing our interior line can do. 

Miller was always a good run blocker as I recall. Maybe he struggled with the new scheme last year but he was solid the year before in the run game.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm quite sure they traded AJ to only have two QBs on 53. I very much doubt barring injury they add a vet to the 53. Especially because the lack of even bad ones available. 

...doubt you'd see a vet......why dump AJ then?....even though tenured with Carolina for 6 years ("The Connection"), Anderson makes no sense.....maybe a PS stash.....

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...doubt you'd see a vet......why dump AJ then?....even though tenured with Carolina for 6 years ("The Connection"), Anderson makes no sense.....maybe a PS stash.....

Because these guys and most teams only want two QBs on their 53 saving a spot for another position. You don't have three active on game day anyway. So most are a waste. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Probably not, but I wouldn't completely discount it. A guy who's been around the block can add a lot of value in the QB room, more so sometimes than a QB coach. If - a big IF - they find the right guy at the right price, I could see it happening. As for the PS, I would expect that any rookie QB available would still sign with the team that cut him; not a lot of good options available out there. I don't see them grabbing a PS QB, just to fill a quota. But you never know.  

9 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

Probably not, but I wouldn't completely discount it. A guy who's been around the block can add a lot of value in the QB room, more so sometimes than a QB coach. If - a big IF - they find the right guy at the right price, I could see it happening. As for the PS, I would expect that any rookie QB available would still sign with the team that cut him; not a lot of good options available out there. I don't see them grabbing a PS QB, just to fill a quota. But you never know.  

...would be interesting if McBeane traded AJ for a pick already having talked to Anderson.....

Schefter:

...Hogan to Broncos and Falk to 'Fins......uh oh Paxton.................

....wow....Antonio Gates outta the mothballs....gotta be an AARP signing...................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy