Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

On 9/6/2018 at 2:54 PM, Chef Jim said:

What the !@#$ is grease explosion?

Well, let me tell ya. Years ago I deep fried something or another, turned off the fry daddy and fed my kids dinner. As I washed dishes I saw my son flicking water into the still hot oil for the popping effect. Evidently, he continued this until the oil had cooled and continued putting more and more water in. I am guessing that an ounce or three wound up settling in the bottom when the oil finally cooled.

Next day: I am at work, kids are at school, and my mom who lived with us briefly decided to fry something using the oil from last night... 

The water which had settled to the bottom of the fryer (obviously, she nor me realized), became super heated to 350+ degrees, and just as she dropped in her French fries, or whatever, the whole mess frigging EXPLODED! She was wearing a night gown and wound up with some serious burns on her neck, chest, arms and tops of her bare feet. The entire kitchen, including the ceiling were coated in oil.

The foot tracks in the carpet to the bathroom were still there when we moved out.

My son still hates to hear this story.

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Well, let me tell ya. Years ago I deep fried something or another, turned off the fry daddy and fed my kids dinner. As I washed dishes I saw my son flicking water into the still hot oil for the popping effect. Evidently, he continued this until the oil had cooled and continued putting more and more water in. I am guessing that an ounce or three wound up settling in the bottom when the oil finally cooled.

Next day: I am at work, kids are at school, and my mom who lived with us briefly decided to fry something using the oil from last night... 

The water which had settled to the bottom of the fryer (obviously, she nor me realized), became super heated to 350+ degrees, and just as she dropped in her French fries, or whatever, the whole mess frigging EXPLODED! She was wearing a night gown and wound up with some serious burns on her neck, chest, arms and tops of her bare feet. The entire kitchen, including the ceiling were coated in oil.

The foot tracks in the carpet to the bathroom were still there when we moved out.

My son still hates to hear this story.

When I was in middle school my college age sister started screaming downstairs. LOUDLY! We were home alone and I ran downstairs as fast as I could. She was making popcorn the old fashion way, with super hot oil (years before a microwave). I could smell the smoke before I arrived at the raging fire in the kitchen. My sister opened the sliding glass door nearby and bravely (but not very wisely) grabbed the pot of fire and threw it out the back door........only to realize she had not opened the screen door behind the glass door! 

The giant pot of fire bounced off the screen door back into the dining room. Fire everywhere! I opened the screen and kicked the pot out. The carpet had....some issues after that night. I haven’t taunted her about this for decades. Thanks for reminding me! I can’t wait until her next visit!!!

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I was in middle school my college age sister started screaming downstairs. LOUDLY! We were home alone and I ran downstairs as fast as I could. She was making popcorn the old fashion way, with super hot oil (years before a microwave). I could smell the smoke before I arrived at the raging fire in the kitchen. My sister opened the sliding glass door nearby and bravely (but not very wisely) grabbed the pot of fire and threw it out the back door........only to realize she had not opened the screen door behind the glass door! 

The giant pot of fire bounced off the screen door back into the dining room. Fire everywhere! I opened the screen and kicked the pot out. The carpet had....some issues after that night. I haven’t taunted her about this for decades. Thanks for reminding me! I can’t wait until her next visit!!!

Scary story but I just want to let you know that making popcorn in a pot on the stove is not for old fashioned way it’s the ONLY way!  Microwave popcorn....?

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

A decent wing needs neither.

Do you put ketchup on your fries?

51 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Scary story but I just want to let you know that making popcorn in a pot on the stove is not for old fashioned way it’s the ONLY way!  Microwave popcorn....?

Do you put ketchup on your fries?

Depends on the fries.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Clearly, the “Fun Factor” of knowing the house could burn down is worth going old school! Life on the edge!