8-31: NFL Films' Greg Cosell Talks about Buffalo's QB Situation on One Bills Live

26CornerBlitz

Cosell: "My sense is if McCarron didn't get hurt, he would probably be at the top of the depth chart"

Greg Cosell of NFL Films joined John Murphy and Steve Tasker on One Bills Live today to discuss the Bills quarterback competition between Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman, and A.J. McCarron. Cosell also touched on the Buffalo's need for another pass rusher on their roster, the wide receiver position, as well as some of the rookies that were drafted in 2018.

Here are some quotes from his appearance on today's episode of One Bills Live.

8-31: Greg Cosell on One Bills Live (20:49)

"My sense is if McCarron didn't get hurt, he would probably be at the top of the depth chart"

That line alone makes me think "just another clueless national media type tossing out random group-think".   McCarron was clearly the least effective of the 3 QBs at every point in the preseason.

Less than a minute (?) in - "[Nathan Peterman] has started one game in the league."

Yup - no clue.

I shut it off another minute in.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Reader said:

Ironically, as a board no one here seems to think McCarron is the best quarterback based on that poll.

Yeah, he's obviously not.

McCarron gained a good reputation while backing up Dalton. Most people still have that mental picture of him in their head.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

"My sense is if McCarron didn't get hurt, he would probably be at the top of the depth chart"

That line alone makes me think "just another clueless national media type tossing out random group-think".   McCarron was clearly the least effective of the 3 QBs at every point in the preseason.

Less than a minute (?) in - "[Nathan Peterman] has started one game in the league."

Yup - no clue.

Make no mistake, Cosell is far from a national media type or group think.  He has limitations, but he spends most of his time watching QB film.

Sometimes he can't see the forest for the trees, but he knows something.

Because he spends most of his time watching film, he's gonna get details (how many games NP started etc) wrong.   The overall point is that Peterman hasn't played a complete game in the NFL to date.

Reading his quotes, I think his point is that preseason is all very well - Peterman clearly has made strides - but you put more weight on a QB's regular season in-game performances than preseason until proven otherwise.  I don't know if McDermott agrees with him, but one can follow Cosell's thinking.  And he's right about don't "yo-yo" your young QB.

• Like (+1) 3

Cosell's problem is he may have tumbleweed sense or even some common football sense. He does not appear to have any "Buffalo Bills" football sense. His sense means absolutely nothing to me and I am surprised that anything he would have to say about the state of our QB situation has any relevance whatsoever.

National media has to try and cover the entire league, and they are probably going to spend most of their time talking about the main contenders each year, because that is where all the attention and focus goes.

Bills have been so irrelevant for so long it should not surprise anyone that the national media isn't up on what we are doing 110%.

Why should they be?  They certainly know enough, even if not as much as some would like.

BTW: I like Greg Cosell for what that is worth.

If you are going to pick on a member of the national media as being clueless, he's the wrong guy to pick.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

Cosell's problem is he may have tumbleweed sense or even some common football sense. He does not appear to have any "Buffalo Bills" football sense. His sense means absolutely nothing to me and I am surprised that anything he would have to say about the state of our QB situation has any relevance whatsoever.

"Buffalo Bills football sense"?  What's that exactly?  The ability to repeatedly deny reality and reject any criticism of any Bills player/coach/FO type except those the individual who has "Buffalo Bills football sense" dislikes?

9 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Yup - no clue.

Technically, Peterman started 2 games, but he did only play 2 halves ...

This, for instance.  McCarron would still be 3rd even if he'd stayed healthy.  Peterman has clearly outplayed him and Allen was always going to be #2.  I'd go so far as to say that if it weren't for McCarron's $5M dead cap hit, he'd be cut today. 

I also didn't think much of his analysis of Allen's performance against the Bengals.  I have no idea if he watched the all-22 (sure he's got access to it, but did he watch it?) and I know he didn't talk to Allen about what he was thinking on each play or Daboll to see what his evaluation was.  Again it's why I wish we knew what was said in the QB classroom after the game. 

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

"Buffalo Bills football sense"?  What's that exactly?  The ability to repeatedly deny reality and reject any criticism of any Bills player/coach/FO type except those the individual who has "Buffalo Bills football sense" dislikes?

Buffalo Bill sense refers to what the the Bills are likely to do by reading the tea leaves and not drinking the Kool-aid. It has NOTHING to do with good decisions or bad decisions or good trades or bad trades..... only what they are LIKELY to do.

22 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Yup - no clue.

What group think are you talking about?